SOLVED: Suspension Equalizers - Does this look right?

Hippy

image.jpgLeftimage.jpgright. I know this probably isn't the right thread however I need help/advise. Are they correct.

danemayer

Re: Suspension Equalizers - Does this look right?

Hi Hippy,

The shackle links on the left have flipped into the wrong orientation. If you've recently had the wheels off the ground it could have happened during the lift. If you lift again, it might pop back into place (with a loud noise).

I would not tow in this condition.

wrgrs50s

To me, while looking at both photo's, it's the shackle on the right side that's in the wrong location.

jnbhobe

Left side the rear axle is flipped right side the front axle is flipped.

danemayer

To me, while looking at both photo's, it's the shackle on the right side that's in the wrong location.

You're right. Here's the drawing from the Dexter manual.

Attachments

• Dexter Suspension orientation.pdf
    53.2 KB · Views: 91

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Do you have level up ? Jack the entire trailer up, then jack up the axle that is correct (left one) and put a jack and a block of wood on the left side of the center pivot and jack it up even more if you can it should flip.
60b9504987ea4eb7a3d7ae719ccd6db1.jpg

avvidclif

Did you just back into a tight space where you had to jack-knife the trailer? That could do it. As for straightening it out??????

Hippy

No. Don't know how it happened. It was brought to my attention by a mechanic where I was fueling in Utah.

Hippy

Hey guys, thanks again for the quick reply. Jess, we did as you said and it flipped. Thanks.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

No. Don't know how it happened. It was brought to my attention by a mechanic where I was fueling in Utah.

Let me guess, was it in Beaver right on I-15? Trace

jimtoo

And he came over in a golf cart to the station where you parked to eat or get fuel... then told you that you had a bad tire and he would change it for free if you came across the street. Oh... yea,,,you might have something wrong with a spring,, but we will check it for you. :)

If so. he was doing this several years ago and heard some more on another forum about him. They get you in and you have all kinds of problems,, but he has used parts he can fix it with. :)

He approached me telling me I had a bad tire. They were almost new GY's,,,less that 2500 miles,, I told him I would check it out and that I was a retired auto, truck service manager.. He said never mind and was gone. :)

Jim M

I think the place you stopped at has some cement statues of Elk,, Bear .. or something.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

And he came over in a golf cart to the station where you parked to eat or get fuel... then told you that you had a bad tire and he would change it for free if you came across the street. Oh... yea,,,you might have something wrong with a spring,, but we will check it for you. :)

If so. he was doing this several years ago and heard some more on another forum about him. They get you in and you have all kinds of problems,, but he has used parts he can fix it with. :)

He approached me telling me I had a bad tire. They were almost new GY's,,,less that 2500 miles,, I told him I would check it out and that I was a retired auto, truck service manager.. He said never mind and was gone. :)

Jim M

I think the place you stopped at has some cement statues of Elk,, Bear .. or something.

Jim,
Yes, that's the place. Trace

Hippy

One young kid came over with a Wow! " It's big and that's the tallest 5th wheel he has ever seen". As I'm fueling he's looking around and then brought the shackles to my attention. Which was good. He offered to help me flipped them. Since I didn't have the know how's and was waiting for feedback, I took his offer. I stood there and watched not letting him know I had some past mechanical experience. Everything went well but him and his buddy we're trying to sell me tires desperately. Scaring me into how bad my tires where and buying since the shackles weren't positioned right. He was trying to tell me they where separated. I also know tires very well and with only 15,000 miles and no signs of wear, I told him no way and tipped him for his help. He was trying to sell me four for $480 each and that he had them in stock.