Solved! Trailer brakes-not working

aatauses

I need some help. We are in BC,CN and are having an issue with trailer brakes. When I hooked up this morning and did my test pull, I got no response from the trailer brakes, however when I used my foot brake I could feel and hear the trailer brakes coming on? I checked the power to my plug on the p/u and when pushing the brakes I get power to the "pin" for brakes. Is it possible that my "adjuster" in the p/u has gone bad or something else? If it has, would it not make my brakes work, but the foot brake would still be OK? Also, does anyone know if there is a fuse for the brakes on the RV side?
thanks
al

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Trailer brakes-not working

If your brakes are working when you step on the brake pedal, they are working.
When you do a pull test, the brakes are at their least efficiency.
In order for them to work at slow speed they do not come on right away.
The magnet must make contact with the side of the brake drum. Then when the magnet is stuck to the drum, the drum will move the magnet and the arm it is attached to. This in turn will activate the shoes to contact the drum.
Try pulling the breakaway cable. Your rig will probably move a few feet before you feel the brakes drag.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi aatauses,

I agree with Dave. Next test should be the pull test after pulling the breakaway cable. That'll tell you if the trailer brakes are ok.

There should be a 12V auto-reset automotive style circuit breaker between the battery and the breakaway switch. But it may be located separate from the buss bar that has the rest of the breakers. That's because if you have a battery cutoff switch, the switch will cut power to the buss bar, but you don't want it to cut power to the breakaway circuit. So there should be a separate smaller diameter wire from the battery terminal to the breakaway switch's circuit breaker and on to the breakaway switch.

wdk450

One item Cookie didn't make perfectly clear in his fine explanation is that electric trailer brake shoes will not contact the wheel drum when the rig is not rolling. They don't work like other brakes. The trailer electric brake system DEPENDS on the magnet sticking/sliding on the drum vertical face when energized, and the ROTATION of the drum pulling the magnet and attached brake shoe actuator arm to activate the brake shoe/drum contact. If the controller calls for more aggressive braking, more current is supplied to the magnet, it sticks harder, and slides less, and the brake shoe activator lever is pulled on harder.

aatauses

Thanks---I'll try your suggestions and really appreciate the quick response.
al

Sandie

Ours never worked when we first got it, had it into the dealer, they said it was our truck brake connection. It wasn't! Took it in 3 times before someone finally went underneath and upon closer inspection, found a wire that wasn't connected at all. Makes me wonder sometimes...

BarneyFife

Ours never worked when we first got it, had it into the dealer, they said it was our truck brake connection. It wasn't! Took it in 3 times before someone finally went underneath and upon closer inspection, found a wire that wasn't connected at all. Makes me wonder sometimes...

How funny. Ours had to be taken in three times as well for horrible brakes during the first four months of ownership. But we eventually had to have them replaced with the 7K braking system from Dexter. The 6K system just wasn't cutting it.

Dexter was great to deal with. Heartland didn't care.

Rickhansen

aatauses,
Unless you've upgraded, your trailer brakes could be out of adjustment and need to be manually adjusted. This would appear as a gradual thing, not an overnight occurrence though.

aatauses

Thanks for the suggestion. I found the issue--apparently my adjuster had been turned way down and without moving much my brakes did not appear to be working. I readjusted the activator and went a little faster and the brakes are working fine.
Sure is great to have people like you to help me out.
Have safe travels.
al
currently in Quesnel, BC