South Texas! Who's going & Where?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
OK folks, Lin & I will probably be going to TX this Winter but the "where" hasn't been decided yet. For sure we can't get out of WI in time for the Spring TX rally but we do hope to be down there by Nov 1st. We're open for a new place to go instead of the place we were in at Corpus Christi. Any suggestions? We hope to find nice but inexpensive. Now that we have a mortgage payment:eek:.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hey Ray...come on down the RGV...there's over 500 RV parks! Quite a few nice and inexpensive ones all over. Tom and Judy will be right down the road from us in Mission.

Don't need a reservation...come down find a place for a week, and go all over checking things out and find the right park for the season. I've seen really nice places for $300 a month and less...:cool:

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Hey Ray,
Check out the Aransas Pass, and Port Aransas. Aransas Pass has a couple of new campgrounds that look great. We will be joining you in 427 days when the DW retires. Sister in law lives in Austin and she is checking campgrounds for us.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, we will be spending time at Southern Oaks in Aransas Pass. It's a new park and really nice. I think it's $400/mo.
We will also spend some time at Seven Oaks in Mission, right down the road from Ken and Kathy. Not a bad place. I don't remember the rate.

Peace
Dave

Paul & Nan

Paul and I will be at Oleander Acres in Mission, not fancy, not pool, tennis courts, etc, but a nice friendly place. The rate depends on how long you stay. We plan to be there 12/1 for 4 months. Our rate is $250/month for 4 month. It is a bit more if you stay less time. Let us all know what you decide. Nan

Tom of Ypsi

I just heard today that Rick and Blanca Jagiello will be workamping on S Padre Island. You may want to contact them for info if interested in that area.

kakampers

Ray, we will be spending time at Southern Oaks in Aransas Pass. It's a new park and really nice. I think it's $400/mo.
We will also spend some time at Seven Oaks in Mission, right down the road from Ken and Kathy. Not a bad place. I don't remember the rate.

Peace
Dave

Wow...Southern Oaks!! That was originally supposed to be a private community like Retama where we own now. It was called Iron Gator...we bought a lot there in 07' and the whole thing fell apart less than a year into owning it. Luckily got our money back and came down here to the RGV and bought...guess everything happens for a reason...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Kathy, they still have lots for sale. Last winter when we checked it out they had 15 seasonal lots for rent. This year they added another 15. Also they were building a huge clubhouse. Really nice. If you have not seen it lately, HERE is a link to their site.

Peace
Dave

kakampers

Oh, we went there last year to see it...we used to own lot #54, which is still for sale. After we saw what it became, compared to what it was supposed to be...we were glad things worked out the way they did. The Clubhouse they are building was a "home" that one of the original owners built, against the original covenants. The whole thing ended up in litigation till he sold it back to the community once they got back up and running, after the original developer trashed the whole community concept and ran off with over a million in assets...everything happens for a reason and we were meant to be at Retama.

I understand one of the buyers that bought into Iron Gator is the one who is now developing the site...hope it works out for all concerned...just didn't turn out to be what we were looking for.

Willym

Agree with Ken & Kathy. We'll be back in Pharr this winter at Tropic Star. Fairly central, plenty of activities including a great woodshop.

Hey Ray...come on down the RGV...there's over 500 RV parks! Quite a few nice and inexpensive ones all over. Tom and Judy will be right down the road from us in Mission.

Don't need a reservation...come down find a place for a week, and go all over checking things out and find the right park for the season. I've seen really nice places for $300 a month and less...:cool:

copy.png
trans.png

DougAndJudy

We're going to workamp/volunteer at Bentsen State Park in Mission, cleaning up after the flooding from July until the end of December. May see you down there!

Hey, Bill

We also go toTropic Star and have for the last 4 years. We are in site 132 Olsen. Where are you? Maybe we can get together this year.

noobee

At Bentsen Palms Village in Mission for December, January & February... after that plan to be at Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kerrville for 2 to 4 weeks........

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We'll be staying at Rayford Crossing in Spring and running their other park that is about 15 miles away this winter. I'm planning on having another luncheon in Donna again and am waiting on Ray Diaz at Ron Hoover to let me know when they want to host again. Not sure where we'll stay when we go down.

Willym

Hi Gary,

We'll be at 79 Cherry again this year. Our friends from Manitoba, two lots along from us, have also bought a Landmark for this year. Yes, we can get together.

Bill

Hey, Bill

We also go toTropic Star and have for the last 4 years. We are in site 132 Olsen. Where are you? Maybe we can get together this year.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
After hours of searching we decided on a park. Honest Dave, it's just a coincidence, we're not stalking you... We booked a site at Seven Oaks in Mission. We supposedly have one of the new, fully concreted sites (#124) right across/near the pool. A little more than we were wanting to spend but it seems worth the little extra. We'll be ther for 3 months starting in January. End of research. Thanks for all the replies.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Ok, Jimtoo be on alert the Ray and Cookie will be coming South. The Northern Moderators are coming south, so who is going to be moderating the northern posts?:confused::eek:

Jim, I guess we will need to take up the slack.....;)

Ray and Cookie have a safe trip south, have fun in the Valley.
If I was not going to Florida for the winter, we could have a Moderator meeting in Texas.

WilmanJim

We are looking into stopping at Triple R Resort RV Park in Crystal City, TX and checking it our for next winter. Has anyone been in that area that could let us know if it would be a good stop. We will be leaving the San Diego area in April, where we have been Wintering and heading back to Ohio. Looks like it might be a good area to base at.
Thank You,
Jim and Wilma

artsbighorn

Jan & I spend our winter's in Fredericksburg,Tx..Nice small German town in the hill country. 3 bighorns in the park. FBG.RV park.