Spare Key

My wife stepped out of the RV for better reception, when my little 2 year old toddler decided to lock the door behind my wife. Thinking she was pulling one over on my wife, (known for her prankster habits) suddenly noticed we could not get back in the trailer. We began coaching her how to lift the red lever in the trailer for about 10 minutes. I tried multiple keys and a screw driver, nothing. The second door was locked as well, because this one is rarely used and goes to the bunkhouse. She began to pathetically say in a scared/worried voice, "mommy can't do it, I sorry mommy". When my daughter began to cry, this tugged on my wife's emotions and she began to cry. After we had figured out the spare keys where in the trailer and looking under the trailer for a way in with no luck. A locksmith was an option but was at least an hour out, I decided to pry the door open. I got several fingers under the bottom of the door and bent the door in half and was able to unlock it from there. Sadly, our trip ended there and we were only at our campsite for 1 of the 3 nights. We taped up the door and headed home. After looking back, I wonder if I could have punch the door lock out. Who knows, I do know I will be hiding spare keys somewhere in my truck or under my trailer. Every trip is an adventure!

Last edited by a moderator:

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
If you guys had an RVLock V4.0 wireless and remote locking system you would not have to worry about a hide a key that can fall off or be found by someone you do not want to have access to your RV. We have had our set up for nearly 4 years and love it!

Rod

TxCowboy

Short of installing new and somewhat expensive locks on your RV, stashing a key is still a good plan. You can pick up a small D ring from almost anywhere and hook it somewhere under the RV where you can find it in a pinch.

And kids aren't the only way to lock yourself out. Had a neighbor show up at the park after a three hour drive from home only to discover that neither he or his wife brought their RV keys! Luckily, the key to our office RV (from SOB) actually fit their front door and one of our Landmark keys fit their storage bays. Go figure!! LOL

mlpeloquin

We had the door lock on our old class C lock automatically when shutting the door. We were lucky that the drivers door was unlocked. This door locked itself constantly after that. Finally removed the lock and found the problem. But now we have the RVLock which we purchased at the Goshen rally. Wouldn't have another RV without it. My wife could never figure out how to unlock the door with the two key hole lock system.

Oregon_Camper

I don't have a picture of this on my new Bighorn, but here is the solution I used. Think the lock was around $10 at Lowes. It is a 4 number combination lock. I attached to the frame. Works GREAT!!!

Final picture is of same solution but on a different trailer we had before Bighorn.

Spare Key Lockbox (4).jpg Spare Key Lockbox (5).jpg IMG_1736.jpg

Westwind

Hide a key, I'm an advocate, we broke our key off in the door one night, ended up calling a locksmith who got to us in a 1/2 hour and with his computer, our old key numbers he was able to make me three new keys in 15 minutes. We now have a key to hide outside just incase we get locked out again.

Diamondjim

Agree with the RVLock V4. Bought our rig used....the screws on the lock came loose somewhere along the line, and there was no deadbolt there???
Installed the RVLock and LOVE it! Easy to use, and you don't have to remember you rig keys when you run to storage!

Gook luck, sorry you had to be taught this lesson by your child!

wdk450

Some key hiding place suggestions: Taped to the rear of one of the propane tanks with white duct tape, taped inside the water heater cover (accessible without tools), Inside the external refrigerator compartment, inside the sewer hose compartment, taped to some accessible external wiring with electrical tape completely covering the key so there is just a lump (looking like wire connections) on the wiring (this last one was a favorite of my Dad's in older vehicles without inside hood releases). I wouldn't use one of the magnetic boxes, or have the hidden key anywhere near the door that it opens.

3ares

I installed a combination key safe in the LP storage area. The door is secured by a twist lock so it is easily accessed. This is also where I installed the outside temperature sensor since it is in the shade and vented to the outdoors.

Happy Travels

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I keep all of my keys on a caribiner and through force of habit, always clip it to my belt loop when leaving the house or the trailer. Since I keep the cargo doors on the trailer locked, I need to take it with me even if I'm just going outside to get something out of the basement. Luckily, the cats haven't figured out how to operate the door latch. If they do, then they'll have to figure out how to open the cat food cans. That'll learn 'em.

davebennington

We have the RV V4 lock also and the batteries die quickly (about 30 days) our concern is getting access in the trailer when the battery has died. We do have a key but where to keep it is a problem.

dave

danemayer

We have the RV V4 lock also and the batteries die quickly (about 30 days) our concern is getting access in the trailer when the battery has died. We do have a key but where to keep it is a problem.

dave
Dave,

You should contact RVLock about the battery life. There's something wrong.

davebennington

Dan

I have and they have been very good about sending us another lock, it has done the same thing. We contacted them again and they have sent yet another lock we will be installing it when we return to Florida and pick it up.

dave

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have never had my batteries die on me. I have had them give me the beeps letting me know my batteries are getting low (after more than a year of use), but the lock still works during that time.

Rod

GETnBYE

So sorry that that happened to you all. To have a little one involved must have been so scary and I can just imagine how y'all felt when the crying began. Hate that it ruined your trip, and I totally understand tearing that door open.
I once locked my car keys in the house and it was time to pick my babies up from kindergarten and I was panicking at what they would think if I didn't show up, so I beat the door knob off with a brick and used an ink pen to turn the knob.
**(we lived way out in the country and this was before cell phones!)

Hide a key and get back on that horse! One day...(hopefully).. This will/might be a campfire story she can tell.
we have the combination lock, but still keep a key somewhere outside. I got locked out in my pajamas once just from the door slamming and locking by its self. (Before the keyless lock). Luckily hubby was fishing and we used his keys when he got back, that's when we started having an extra key outside always.

ram_1955

With a lot of the newer trucks having keyless entry/keypads on the truck why not just keep an extra key in the truck. Simple secure fix. Even if a child were to do this again and no keypad, child could most likely be talked into opening the truck wirelessly with the remote

Nbomar

We have the RV lock on our road warrior so I've always been not concerned about it, but my 2 year old locked herself in my friends camper a week ago with his 2 year old in there also. When they are crying and us 4 adults can't get to them it is a gut wrenching moment to say the least. Luckily we were able to get one of them to turn the red lever to let us in. He has already ordered his RV lock for his camper now. Can't imagine not having one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad I am not the only one who has experienced this. I ended up buying a lock box and attaching it to my tie down loop in the bed of the truck underneath my tool box. This should solve that issue and on to the next! Thanks for the helpful ideas everyone!

Update on the door:

My wife ordered a door which totaled around $400.00 shipped to the house. The door removal was pretty simple, removed the stripping, cut the caulk, removed the top rain gutter and then removed all screws on both sides including a couple in the door jams. Installation was reversed and went rather smooth without any hangups. If i could do it over again, of course would have had a spare key and it not be in the trailer but should have gone through the window. The window is a very simple replacement and would have been a tad cheaper.