Spare tire air pressure valve

Bob Vaughn

I am tinkering and playing with everything prior to taking my new 3250TS on the road. I got underneath to check the air pressure in the spare tire and realized that who ever mounted the tire did it upside down so the valve is against the bottom of the trailer. Now I have to put the slides in to let the spare tire down. I was going to add the extension hose to the valve and mount the bracket like it was on my other camper so I did not have to get down on my back and shimmy up underneath. The spare tire is located in the middle of the frame behind the axle's. I wish they had of mounted it closer to curb side or closer to the rear. I can see that it is going to be a heart stopping experience to have to change a tire. I can see that I will be using the road service that I pay for. I just don't like sitting along side the road waiting endlessly for service to show up....

2010augusta

I would think you want the valve stem facing up, that way the valve is protected from road debris.

Why does the slide have to be retracted to lower the spare?

jolar3329

Mine was installed the same way on my 2009 Bighorn 3670. I flipped it over so I can check the tire pressure before long trips.

Bob Vaughn

I would think you want the valve stem facing up, that way the valve is protected from road debris.

Why does the slide have to be retracted to lower the spare?
That is what the valve stem cap does, just like on your truck tires....
The slide has to come in because where you attach the crank handle is under the slide out and there is not enough room to turn it because of the rams, electric cables, and the floor.

Gaffer

My spare rubbed when backing up my driveway. It was difficult to get to to check air pressure. I now carry it in the belly where I can get to it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I reversed the spare on my rig as well. The valve stem is not in harms way because the tire is wide enough to keep it from being damaged. It may get some road debris but the cap takes care of that. One of these days I would like to move the spare mount to the front of my rig. Fortunately for me, I have the older style straight I beam and not the drop front frame. I have clearance up there.