Spare tire locations

captpfd

My Razor 3110ds has the spare tire mounted in the garage on a bracket. I understand why they would put it there but with only a ten foot garage it still takes up alot of space. I want to move it. I am thinking about using a spare tire winch from a truck/suv and mounting the spare at the rear of the trailer underneath. My trailer sits pretty high and it looks like it would work. Add a few brackets to the frame and it should work. Your thoughts or has anyone done this mod. Capt.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That's where they mount them on the Bighorn, just aft of the axles. Since you'll probably need a support that will span across the belly to attach to the frame on both sides, an SUV carrier might not work unless you create the support rails for it. You can probably purchase the same system that HL uses from Lippert.

jnbhobe

Your on the right track. I would look around for a low profile tire winch or see if one is avaible from Heartland at a decent price, and don't forget the 10% club discount. It doesn't look like rocket science.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our spare is mounted underneath the rear in a recess made for that and has a winch to raise and lower it. When in place you cannot even see it.

porthole

Retired
Spare tire winches that are typical to our trailers and vehicles are listed on ebay.

I thought someone recently posted an ebay link here on the forum but can't find it.

captpfd

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I will begin the research today. BTW, took trailer out this weekend for some dirtbike riding, all previous repairs done and no new issues. Yippee!!!!

captpfd

I really like the look and functionality of the Lippert Underbelly storage unit with spare tire holder. The storage compartments look small and not sure if one side will even hold my 50amp cord. Maybe a water hose and regular extension cord? Anyone purchased one of these recently?

porthole

Retired
The bins are a decent size, would easily hold your cord.
I have all my sewer stuff in one, including a length of sewer hose and the slinky style support.

captpfd

Are these lockable, because I don't want all my stuff getting stolen from those bins especially that 50amp cord that cost $400 alone. Did you purchase directly from Lippert and have shipped to your house. Do you also have the spare tire rack? Thanks.