Spare Tire Rack????

plshilo

OK, was under the rig today checking the spare. We are thinking about putting a second tire under there for our upcoming trip to Alaska. So tried to let the tire down & the knob that holds the rack just broke in my hand, I haven't tried to let it down before. So my question is has Anyone had this happen to them when having a tire problem and try to let it down?????

RandyDeb

Phil
Haven't had that problem yet. if you have a long box truck have you thought about mounting it in the bed? We are also planning for Alaska this summer and I like the idea of an extra tire and wheel for the trailer and truck. I have an 8' bed, but am adding a 60gal fuel tank that will take about 22" of space. Thinking I could attach a tire to that somehow. Also thinking of a Generator but its a big one and may not work out. We have a Goose Box hitch, so no 5th wheel plate or rails to deal with.

plshilo

RandyDeb,
We have though about the bed, but would like to have it on the 5er. Our BC has a generator, also we added a tool box to the bed along with 2 extra LP tanks. It is a long bed, but we have a Reese 20k hitch in there. Maybe someone else will come back that has tried to lower the tire?????

RandyDeb

This is off track a little, but are you going to take fishing poles with you. If so where to put them? I'm thinking of a peace of 8" PVC pipe about 7 and 1\2 feet long fastened to the ladder or could put them underneath on the trailer frame. Any ideas?

HOGHAULER

OK, was under the rig today checking the spare. We are thinking about putting a second tire under there for our upcoming trip to Alaska. So tried to let the tire down & the knob that holds the rack just broke in my hand, I haven't tried to let it down before. So my question is has Anyone had this happen to them when having a tire problem and try to let it down?????

Same thing happened to Me.I Called Heartland Warranty they shipped Me a complete rack. The bolt part of Knob was seized in nut, should have some kind of lubricate on it from factory. Plain steel bolt and welded nut

plshilo

This is off track a little, but are you going to take fishing poles with you. If so where to put them? I'm thinking of a peace of 8" PVC pipe about 7 and 1\2 feet long fastened to the ladder or could put them underneath on the trailer frame. Any ideas?
I found a link to a fishing poles that folds down....here is a link fishingtimeusa.com
Hope that helps..

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Same thing happened to Me.I Called Heartland Warranty they shipped Me a complete rack. The bolt part of Knob was seized in nut, should have some kind of lubricate on it from factory. Plain steel bolt and welded nut

We heard they have a tendency to seize up, so when we got our new unit, we put anti-seize on the bolt. A year later, went to lower the tire, and had no issues. Reapplied some anti-seize and put it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

I took the Plastic Knob and bolt right off; drilled a hole in the rack and put on a weatherproof pad lock on the tire rack. I also have two spares for the RV and keep one in the truck. Not sure if the rack will hold the weight of two spares and it will be pretty heavy trying to get the spare rack back up in place with the weight of two tires on it. Also the one spare holder has a mounting bolt for the one spare wheel to mount to the carrier.