Specific dog breeds not allowed - have you ever experienced this?

Boca_Shuffles

I'm very much more tolerant with kids as they are only human. On the other hand dogs are animals & should be treated as animals while being taught OBEDIENCE from the get go... to bad some owners have no idea on how to treat a dog, as they treat them as though they are humans.

CS
Lets see; Kids are only human, dogs should be obedient.
Does this mean that dogs are smarter than humans, because kids can't be taught to be obedient?

robnmo

I'm very much more tolerant with kids as they are only human. On the other hand dogs are animals & should be treated as animals while being taught OBEDIENCE from the get go... to bad some owners have no idea on how to treat a dog, as they treat them as though they are humans.

CS

Ok I admit we treat our dogs as though they are human............we don't let them set out in the rain and storms, we bath them, we feed them, we teach them, we take care of them when they're sick and take them to the Dr (Vet) if needed when their sick and we don't beat them. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like the same treatment we did with both our kids, and one of them is a 11 yr USAF S/sgt, the other one is a 2nd Lt and graduate of the Air Force Academy they seem to have turned out ok, and so far out of the campgrounds and even tent camping we've done, we've NEVER had a dog issue, but we've had things thrown against our tent, bicycles ridden through our campsite, unknowm people setting at our picnic table, bathrooms/shower houses spray painted with graffiti, trash left all over the place, wife was hit square in the back with a frisbee while walking, and screaming and shouting at night and early morning, and none of it was done by dogs! I'm not anti children by any means, the only point I'm trying to make is it's NOT the dog.............or kid, it's the OWNER or PARENT. It's all about co-existence..................with people, kids AND DOGS. Again, just my opinion

jimtoo

OK... Everyone calm down,,,, take a deep breath and let this conversation cool down before it gets personal.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK Jim, I'm not in on this at all. Keep your putor on and I will bring the popcorn. See ya in a few. Looks like fun to me.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It does not matter what the breed or how well they are trained dogs bite. I have been bitten by well trained dogs and well trained humans. The bottom line is there are more legal issues for Campground owners with certain animal breeds than there is with others. I guess it does not matter how much we discuss this issue the bottom line is if a campground has certain restrictions whether it be for animals, age of RVs or prohibitions on allowing travel trailers with canvas or whatever we as their consumers must observe those restrictions. If we do not like it then we just will have to take our business and dollars elsewhere. So let's all get happy and have fun.

The main reason we purchased a rv was because we wanted to enjoy our vacations with our three Huskies. My dogs rarely bark which is great by me.
We always try and stick to a few rules while we are with our dogs. (1)Always keep them on a leash. I run lenghts of rope across our site and attach my dogs leashes to them so they have some running space and are still leashed up. When we walk the trails they are also on leashes. I dont want them leaving our site and disturbing other campers.
(2) We tire our dogs out as soon as we all get up. Most dogs need a good walk/run so they can use up all the pent up energy they have and remain calm/quiet during the slow times at the campsite. My wife and I love to walk/hike and search out new trails each time we go camping. Hiking the trails is one of the highlights for us when we are camping. So we take them for a few good hikes each day which keeps them quite and calm.
(3) Pick up the poop. I dont want to leave any mess for anyone to see or have to clean up. We always carry loads of poop bags and pick up the poo everywhere.
The main reason we do this is because we dont want to ruin it for the people who dont enjoy dogs. We try and respect everyone in the campground by not enterrupting their time. Also we want to leave the campground just as we entered to we do not add to the bad rep dogs owners have.
Also the few times we were camping there were a bunch of dogs around the park. Some barked and some didnt. The kids around the park were much louder and up earlier then the dogs were.
Doesnt bother me to be honest. It just noises that go along with camping.

noobee

Lets see; Kids are only human, dogs should be obedient.
Does this mean that dogs are smarter than humans, because kids can't be taught to be obedient?

You mis-interpreted my comment... never said that kids should not be obedient. I am very tolerant with kids being enthusiastic while playing.

CS

robnmo

I agree with the posts about dogs, and understand many people don't care for dogs, and their concerns, it's all simply about being a responsible neighbor, be it your dog, child, TV, radio, campfire. Campgrounds have people from all walks of life all with various likes and dislikes and concerns. It's all about respect and understanding.

noobee

I agree with the posts about dogs, and understand many people don't care for dogs, and their concerns, it's all simply about being a responsible neighbor, be it your dog, child, TV, radio, campfire. Campgrounds have people from all walks of life all with various likes and dislikes and concerns. It's all about respect and understanding.

Well said.......

CS

Northern Virginia
The main reason we purchased a rv was because we wanted to enjoy our vacations with our three Huskies. My dogs rarely bark which is great by me.
We always try and stick to a few rules while we are with our dogs. (1)Always keep them on a leash. I run lenghts of rope across our site and attach my dogs leashes to them so they have some running space and are still leashed up. When we walk the trails they are also on leashes. I dont want them leaving our site and disturbing other campers.
(2) We tire our dogs out as soon as we all get up. Most dogs need a good walk/run so they can use up all the pent up energy they have and remain calm/quiet during the slow times at the campsite. My wife and I love to walk/hike and search out new trails each time we go camping. Hiking the trails is one of the highlights for us when we are camping. So we take them for a few good hikes each day which keeps them quite and calm.
(3) Pick up the poop. I dont want to leave any mess for anyone to see or have to clean up. We always carry loads of poop bags and pick up the poo everywhere.
The main reason we do this is because we dont want to ruin it for the people who dont enjoy dogs. We try and respect everyone in the campground by not enterrupting their time. Also we want to leave the campground just as we entered to we do not add to the bad rep dogs owners have.
Also the few times we were camping there were a bunch of dogs around the park. Some barked and some didnt. The kids around the park were much louder and up earlier then the dogs were.
Doesnt bother me to be honest. It just noises that go along with camping.

Amen. It's too bad that people like us have to suffer the sins of others. Like Todd, we bought our Landmark so we could take family vacations with our dogs and kids.

I have mixed feelings because I personally do not like and would never own a Pit Bull. But when dogs like German shepherds are throw into the mix, I feel like it is more prejudice than insurance regulations. Some dogs are a menace, no doubt about it. I worry that this is going follow the same route as smoking on a plane. It won't be long before more and more campgrounds have an outright ban on all dogs...in the name of public safety, of course.

I might add our last two GSD's hardly ever barked unless they perceived a threat. Our new GSD (puppies) are a lot more vocal. The first thing we did on our first camping trip with the new dogs was fit them up with a bark collar so they would learn the ropes. It doesn't take a lot of effort to keep your dogs quiet and leashed at the campgrounds.

Again, its the humans not the dogs. I guess that's why I would prefer the company of most dogs to a lot of humans.

John

Last edited:

BHEWITTJR

Just to show how some campgrounds get carried away with this stuff I tried to make reservations at the big 2 in Myrtle Beech and was turned down when I told them my Dalmation would be with us. Thats right they've blacklisted Dalmations. Those loving spoted babies that I took to work with me (till she got too old) and alll the neighborhood kids would come and play with her. We just laghed and moved on to Pirateland where all of us including the dog have been going back to every year.

irvin56

There are a lot of CG's around alberta(canada) that don't want dogs, charge extra per/day for them and have several different breeds band. Some I can understand with all the kids around that want to pet, pull, hit etc, any dog they see. I would get pis--- off too and growl. (Me,not my dog). Over all it's (I'm going to sue you attitude) that a lot of CG owners are up against.

So I'm okay with that. if someone does not want my dog. THEY don't want my money.

Can you let me know which campgrounds in AB that do not allow dogs? We are planning a trip for next year and dont want to waste time with this sort of campground.
Thanks

rvn4fun

The campground we work at in the summer time is banning all dogs this next summer. We know it is bad owners, not the animals fault. We seem to have all the animals that bark constantly while the owners are out floating the river, or they are digging up the park, or they are pooping all over with out their owners cleaning up or running all over the campground with out a leash. I know we will have a lot of upset owners over this but our campground owner has had enough of it..

jimtoo

The campground we work at in the summer time is banning all dogs this next summer. We know it is bad owners, not the animals fault. We seem to have all the animals that bark constantly while the owners are out floating the river, or they are digging up the park, or they are pooping all over with out their owners cleaning up or running all over the campground with out a leash. I know we will have a lot of upset owners over this but our campground owner has had enough of it..

Care to post what the name of the campground is so if someone wants to go they will not be surprised?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Rayford Crossing in Spring, Tx has a published program where is a camper turns in a person who does not pick up after their pet they will get a free nights camping. The offender will get evicted. Haven't heard of it happening but most pick up after their pet.

This is to bad but unfortunetly there are lots of dog owners like this around who make it bad for the good owners. It is to bad really because it is so easy to pick up after your dogs.

ParkIt

And this is why I like Military CG's, not only are they top rated and less expensive but they understand most military have larger dogs of all breeds. You do have to have at least a 2 month advance reservation so they can put you next to the dog friendly parks & other campers who have big dogs and they will research to see if you have had any complaints about your dogs from your home state. You also need to fax a current record of a vets bill of health as many Military CG's have dog training facilities and cannot afford their dogs getting sick if a pooch gets loose and wants to play with 'that group over there'.

I wonder...if CG's did charge a per-pet fee to pay a staff person to do the same research & documents if it would open up spaces with the 'top 5' or larger dogs?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm