Squirrels in AC Ducts

branson4020

Icantre Member
How the heck did a family of squirrels get into my AC ducts? Can't get in through the unit on the roof, that's the first thing I checked.

Sandpirate69

Check your roof vents. Also, check the underside of your rig. Plenty of areas for them to get in. Sometimes the workers at HL forget to put that grey gap/hole filler and they may be able to have squeezed through there. Good luck.

Ivan

jpajax

If the end of the ac duct work is not sealed off they can get inside the front or rear cap clime to the top and go into the end of ac duct.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
These are the front and rear bulkheads on a BC. My guess is that the construction is fairly common. I "think" they stuff insulation between the fiberglass caps and the lumber, but don't hold me to that. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the roof to bulkhead joints to tell if the ends are exposed or covered by the top of the bulkhead. Or if the AC ducts are open at the ends of the roof assembly.

View attachment 16096View attachment 16097

branson4020

Icantre Member
John,

Thanks for the photos. I'm thinking they are getting in through one of the caps. Today I found out that they can get from the ducts to behind the fridge. Removed the refer vent/access panel on the outside and enticed one little guy to leave.

JohnDar

John,

Thanks for the photos. I'm thinking they are getting in through one of the caps. Today I found out that they can get from the ducts to behind the fridge. Removed the refer vent/access panel on the outside and enticed one little guy to leave.

Maybe you need a .177 cal. pellet gun. Add some meat to the stew. Hang a couple of squirrel carcasses around the rig like talismen to ward them off. "Rocky Beware!"

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Them little suckers can get everywhere. They are "tree rats" and like any other rodent it is amazing how flat they can squeeze down and get into things. I had to have Roto-Rooter come out and the problem was two squirrels in the sewer vent of the house. They can be just as destructive to your homes, trailers and vehicles as any other pest.

4 Squirrels Quartered (fresh, not the ones Roto-Rooter finds for you)
2 cans frozen O.J.
Salt/pepper to taste

Salt and pepper the quarters, brown them in a pan. Move to stock pot
Add two cans O.J. and enough water to cover the squirrels. Simmer for 1 hour or until done.

First time I heard it I thought Ewww but it pretty good.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Them little suckers can get everywhere. They are "tree rats" and like any other rodent it is amazing how flat they can squeeze down and get into things. I had to have Roto-Rooter come out and the problem was two squirrels in the sewer vent of the house. They can be just as destructive to your homes, trailers and vehicles as any other pest.

4 Squirrels Quartered (fresh, not the ones Roto-Rooter finds for you)
2 cans frozen O.J.
Salt/pepper to taste

Salt and pepper the quarters, brown them in a pan. Move to stock pot
Add two cans O.J. and enough water to cover the squirrels. Simmer for 1 hour or until done.

First time I heard it I thought Ewww but it pretty good.

Mmmm, kinda like Duck L'Orange at our local Chinese eatery, only cheaper!

Lou_and_Bette

Not really related to the RV stuff but does involve squirrels...live in an upscale neighborhood and one of the ladies from a real top end home was going to everyone's house that had stucco on exterior of their houses. She had noticed all these "brown streaks" on her stucco and as it turns out almost all the rest of us had similar marks. She thought it was some sort of defect in construction and had multiple 'engineers' out to find the problem. None of these 'experts' had an answer for the problem. A couple of months later she came around and told all us the mystery had been solved by an 'uneducated country man' she hired hired to do some tree work. He told her it was the large local population of squirrels "marking their territories" and the only way to keep that from repeating was he nailed some of their dead bodies on the backs of some of the trees around her place...no more squirrel problem. Pests but not dumb and like mentioned above, really ingenious at getting in what they want

Lou

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
QUOTE=JohnDar;200920]These are the front and rear bulkheads on a BC. My guess is that the construction is fairly common. I "think" they stuff insulation between the fiberglass caps and the lumber, but don't hold me to that. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the roof to bulkhead joints to tell if the ends are exposed or covered by the top of the bulkhead. Or if the AC ducts are open at the ends of the roof assembly.

IF PICTURES ARE OF BIGHORN OR HEARTLAND, I THOUGHT WE HAD ALUM. STUDS INSTEAD OF WOOD?????

JohnDar

The photos were taken at the factory of a Big Country on the production line, during the Goshen Rally. The side walls are aluminum framing, but the bulkheads and interior walls, are not.