stabilizer

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Ray, we are using them on the front only.
With just Sam and I there is no movement in the back, or at least it is not noticeable. However when our very graceful teenage boys come with us stabilizers in the back would be a huge benefit. They don't come often and when they do they don't stick around for very long so I never spent the time or money to build any for the back.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mounting the ones in the rear, as I did, there is still some shimmy in the back of the rig. I think I might get brave and pull down the cover under the back end to see if I can mount them they way they were recommended. The more I tinker around my rig, the braver I get.

But Ray, saving a few bucks?? When I peeked in your basement last year, I could swear you had a machine in there that said: "PROPERTY OF U.S. MINT." Did you run low on ink???

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Ray...when we got the BH we took the JT's off our previous fiver. We couldn't figure out how to install rear JT's on the electric rear stabilizers so we went for two years without the rear JT's. Problem was we still had quite a bit of "tail wiggle"...

After we installed the Level-Up, the JT's on front would not work on the new "front feet", so we went with the Steadyfast system. Even after installing this system on the front and back...we still had a small amount of "tail wiggle"...we attribute this to the long overhang behind the wheels, especially since the rear level-up is right behind the tires and that is what the rear Steadyfast is attached to. Bottom line is I'm glad we kept the rear electric stabilizers, as they finally seem to remove the last little bit of wiggle....don't think I'd want to go again with stabilizers just on the front...JMHO!

Mounting the ones in the rear, as I did, there is still some shimmy in the back of the rig. I think I might get brave and pull down the cover under the back end to see if I can mount them they way they were recommended. The more I tinker around my rig, the braver I get.

But Ray, saving a few bucks?? When I peeked in your basement last year, I could swear you had a machine in there that said: "PROPERTY OF U.S. MINT." Did you run low on ink???
I had to remove that darn thing. Trying to cut down on weight ya know.

Thanks for all the replies. We didn't opt for the electric rear jacks when we ordered. Found out later that they (Heartland) were installing them on most of the Bighorns at n/c unless special ordered without. Had I only known. The manual crank jacks we have seem to be pretty decent as far as stability so I might try fronts only. Still debating which brand to buy. I like the steadyfast system for it's crank operation and the bars go from side to side rather than a centerpoint mount like the others. Decisions, decisions.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
HI

How long did it take you to install? The video did not specify time for this? Does everything come with the kit?
thanks
Chainsaw

Everything comes with the set, and it took maybe 2 hours tops to install. Only needed to drill several holes in the lip of the I-Beam and in most cases install new landing feet for other end of stabilizers, which are included.

caissiel

I bought some truck box holding bars at Northern tools on sale for around $10.00 each.
Bought 6 off to put 4 in front and 2 on back.
After installation the trailer was so stable that I no longer put the rear ones on.

I made 4 clips with 1.5" angles and thighten them against it and the legs and torque them hand thight.

I would recommend installing the angles equal distance so as all 4 Bars are set at approximatle the same lenght for easier installation.

I feel that there is no looseness in the bolt holes and the thighten bars at full width instead of 1/2 width surely is an advantage.

Picture or Video 003.jpgPicture or Video 004.jpg
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Willym

Nice job Laurent. Do they completely come off when travelling?

I bought some truck box holding bars at Northern tools on sale for around $10.00 each.
Bought 6 off to put 4 in front and 2 on back.
After installation the trailer was so stable that I no longer put the rear ones on.

I made 4 clips with 1.5" angles and thighten them against it and the legs and torque them hand thight.

I would recommend installing the angles equal distance so as all 4 Bars are set at approximatle the same lenght for easier installation.

I feel that there is no looseness in the bolt holes and the thighten bars at full width instead of 1/2 width surely is an advantage.

View attachment 9899View attachment 9900
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png