Still can't get TV channels

wdk450

Oregon Camper:
If I were troubleshooting your TV problems I would:
1) Check out the TV for correct Over the Air TV reception with a pair of rabbit ears antenna outside.
2) Remove the amplifier wallplate (the one with the light and push switch), unscrew the coax to the rooftop antenna, and see if there is 12 volts DC on the connector for that coax on the amplifier (with the power switch pressed ant the pilot light ON).
3) See if there is an F connector on the coax outside the roof at the antenna. You may have to remove the antenna from the roof if the connection is inside the roof. With the coax reconnected to the amplifier plate and the power turned on, see if there is 12 volts DC at the antenna end of the cable. If the last test fails, you have a problem in the coax wiring between the amplifier plate and the antenna connection. You can double verify this by connection an EXTERNAL coax cable from the amplifier connection directly to the antenna connection, and then seeing if your antenna performance is now better.

Here is a link to the Weinguard amplifier manual, with good wallplate drawings on page 6 : http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...Antenna_Installation_and_Operation_Manual.pdf

Az_Ernie

We've never camped where we'd have service, so I'm not sure it if has ever worked.

We're going out again in 3 weeks, so I'll try swapping the Satellite/Cable connections.

BTW..our 3160 only came with 1 TV. (which I'm fine with)....was I suppose to have 2?
We did not factory order our 3160EL (purchased from dealer inventory), it was equipped with two TV's, one in living room and one in bedroom. I'd check Heartland's web site and see what equipment is considered standard on your rig.

Gaffer

There must be a button on the TV remote that says source or input. Verify that it is set to antenna.

Oregon_Camper

Back in Bighorn right now... Still no channels found.
069c9bf35d8f7531579853140a177c9f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

etcmss

You didn't really tell us what you changed since last discussion so ????-----did you try direct outside cable connection to TV? did you check the cable line resistance with one end shorted and not shorted?
Gary

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Had a quick trip out this weekend.... Only 40 mins from home.

I know for sure TV channels are broadcasted this far as my neighbor was getting OTA tv

So... What am I doing wrong? Scanned for channels numerous times... Changed coax cable connection above TV... Nothing. I tried with the button pushed on (on) and out (off).

Attached images of how it is setup now.

205d1c1c3c3daf873e412e029fe6557b.jpg
3616de9fa886257778325b39062c74d8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The black hookup in the middle with the red button is the amplifier hookup. The red button should be illuminated when the amplifier is on. There should be a button to push on that faceplate to turn on the ampifier. You probably will not get any channels with the amplifier turned off.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Back in Bighorn right now... Still no channels found.

You might try two things . . .

First off, if you have the batwing antenna, get rid of it and buy a King/Jack antenna . . . under $50 at Camping World!

Mounts to the batwing arm and takes less than 5 minutes to install (and you can use the amplifier already in your trailer).

In our side yard, I used to get around 35 channels with the batwing . . . and just installing the King/Jack . . . almost 80 channels!

Secondly . . . a signal meter ($33 at Camping World), which connects between the TV and the antenna, has you rotate the antenna to search for the location of the TV stations and lights up when it locates them.

Before getting the signal meter I used to spend a half hour or more trying to find out where the TV stations were . . . with the signal meter I find them in less than 30 seconds!

ProwlerBVKOAsunrise-P1000424.jpg JackTVup-IMG_3935.jpg TVsignalFinder.jpg

Almost all of our TV issues in the Prowler were the splitters being wired up wrong from the factory . . . I'll be that may be were your issues are as well!

There are also some APPS out there for locating the TV towers . . . but not as good as the signal meter pictured above.

Attachments

• ProwlerBlueMesa-P1000712.jpg
    ProwlerBlueMesa-P1000712.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

Once more: what's the Make/Model of your TV?

LG
Model 47LB5900-UV

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't really tell us what you changed since last discussion so ????-----did you try direct outside cable connection to TV? did you check the cable line resistance with one end shorted and not shorted?
Gary

I personally did nothing, as it was at the dealer getting serviced. They told me there were no problems, and I didn't check it before leaving their lot, as I had to get home, in order to leave for this trip.

- - - Updated - - -

You might try two things . . .

First off, if you have the batwing antenna, get rid of it and buy a King/Jack antenna . . . under $50 at Camping World!

Mounts to the batwing arm and takes less than 5 minutes to install (and you can use the amplifier already in your trailer).

In our side yard, I used to get around 35 channels with the batwing . . . and just installing the King/Jack . . . almost 80 channels!

There are a lot of these on the market. Which specific model number did you purchase?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
There are a lot of these on the market. Which specific model number did you purchase?

Here is a link to the King/Jack at CW: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/king-digital-hdtv-antenna-replacement-head/68415

I printed out this page and took it in to the local CW store and they matched the internet price.

I'm thinking about buying another one and putting it up on the roof of our house and making a frisbee out of our Direct TV dish!

$140 a month and over half of the programming is infomercials???????????