stinky line?

herefishy

Our cold water faucet in the bathroom smells like rotten eggs, but the hot water is OK and all the other faucets. Should we just sanitize the lines by sticking the winterizing line into a bottle of Clorox?

jnbhobe

Our cold water faucet in the bathroom smells like rotten eggs, but the hot water is OK and all the other faucets. Should we just sanitize the lines by sticking the winterizing line into a bottle of Clorox?

That will be real hard to get the taste out of the lines, fill the water tank 1/2 full and add a 1/2 cup of clorox, run it thru all the lines hot water tank and cold lines. Then drain water tank and HWT flush the junk out of the HWT and replace the anode rod, flush again wiyh fresh water.

azdryheat

Do you have a washer hookup in you bedroom closet area? We had the same stink in our bathroom hot water faucet but I fixed it. Seems that the water lines to the washer tie into the bathroom faucet and don't get flushed properly. I hooked up a hose to washer faucets and flushed the lines into the shower. No more smell. Guess it was left over anti-freeze.

jnbhobe

Do you have a washer hookup in you bedroom closet area? We had the same stink in our bathroom hot water faucet but I fixed it. Seems that the water lines to the washer tie into the bathroom faucet and don't get flushed properly. I hooked up a hose to washer faucets and flushed the lines into the shower. No more smell. Guess it was left over anti-freeze.

You could flush them out just by useing the washer drain, that way you can keep the trap full.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You could flush them out just by useing the washer drain, that way you can keep the trap full.

I'm confused. How are you flushing? Turning on the faucets of the washer connections -- but only with a hose hooked up to guide the water to either the drain, or in the other post, the shower?

We sometimes get rotten egg smell when the shower is running. -- we thought it was related to the common grey tank vent-pipe.

Why do you think the smell is related to antifreeze?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm confused. How are you flushing? Turning on the faucets of the washer connections -- but only with a hose hooked up to guide the water to either the drain, or in the other post, the shower?

We sometimes get rotten egg smell when the shower is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think what Jon is saying, is that when you winterize, or even if you don't, you need to keep water in the P-trap of the wash machine.
Using a hose from the washer hookup is a simple way to do that.
It also keeps fresh water in the line.

Peace
Dave