Story Telling Capital of Texas

jimtoo

Well,,, we just had another great Story Telling event. Each year on the 1st Saturday of November we have a story telling festival here in George West, Texas. It is "George West Storyfest". It is a one day event and this year we celebrated our 25th anniversary. George West is known as the "Story Telling Capital of Texas" and we also hold "The Texas State Liars Contest". Our little town of 2500 population grows to approx 8000 for the day. It is an event that has no parking charges and also no entry fees,,, unless you buy food from one of the 12 food booths, which are all no profit organizations like churches, boy scouts, school clubs, or buy a souvenir from our sales booth. We also have vendors that rent booths to sell some nice merchandise,, some home made,, some not.

We have 3 stages that have story tellers and some music groups on from 10am to 6-8pm and then we have a street dance from 9pm-12pm.

On Friday before the event we send the story tellers to the schools. This year we had request for, and sent tellers to 9 different school districts around the area and 17 schools. It is considered a lost art almost and the schools systems really like what we do.

Don't know why I waited to post about it,,, some of our Heartlander winter Texans came to the event last year,, maybe next year some more will come to the event. 1st Saturday in November next year is November 1, 2014, so plan ahead.

Jim M

Manzan

Jim, I used to be a story teller many years ago. Mostly Ghost stories and had a ball doing it around a campfire. I would love to attend the Story Fest sometime! Thanks for posting this.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Bruce I can picture you as a storyteller. Maybe at a rally next year?
Kristy

jimtoo

Jim, I used to be a story teller many years ago. Mostly Ghost stories and had a ball doing it around a campfire. I would love to attend the Story Fest sometime! Thanks for posting this.

We would love to have you come this way. We are always looking for new tellers. We have had the pros from all over. These folks can have you laughing your face off and 2 minutes later they can have you crying. We do have a kids time and an open mike time plus locals... and some of the locals (old folks that meet every morning at the DQ for coffee) are pretty darn good. But most of them won't tell because it's usually about someone in town and it may not be a lie. We also have an hour or so of ghost stories after we shut the stages down and getting ready for the dance.

Ghost stories around a campfire would be great. Some of the ghost stories I have heard will make you think twice.. or three times before opening the door... or .... well... when you hear that noise later in the night.... or something is moved the next morning....you will know he was not just lying or making it up. //heartlandowners.org/images/smilies/smile.png

We also have a Sunday morning "Sacred Storytelling Hour" at one of the churches and they are really good.

Join us next year if you can and I will try to remember to post about it way ahead of time.

Jim M

We also send storytellers to schools. We had request from 9 school districts and had tellers in 17 schools the Friday before Storyfest. It is considered an art that is almost lost and is funded partially by the state.

Last edited:

stevenssr

I've never heard of that but it sounds really fun. I was around a fellow Navy veteran the other day, and we got caught up in telling sea stories until we just had to stop. Whether it's war stories, fishing stories, ghost stories, or what, that sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim, you need to scope out the nearest campgrounds and post them, so we know where to stay! Maybe a Heartland Camp-Out could be planned to coincide with Storyfest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk