Suburban water heater.

Piperflyer

I don't care how long the shower lasts. I want to figure out why my hot water is luke warm on the 120v side.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I don't think I've ever taken a shower in either of our Heartlands with the faucets wide open.

And now that we have the Oxygenics Fury shower head installed it should be even better.

dlw930

I don't care how long the shower lasts. I want to figure out why my hot water is luke warm on the 120v side.

A year or so ago, the 120v side on ours quit working. After replacing the anode rod and heating element, still no hot water. Turned out to be a bad hi-low thermostat. Replaced with a new one and no problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westwind

Another thing to bear in mind, our Bighorn is a 2012 and has been in used to snowbird in since then, we are currently in Florida and I have had to remove the check valve on our hot water heater for the 2nd time, they can be problems in area's where the water has high calcium in them. Many campgrounds have well water and even though it clear it can be hard and calcium deposits are a problem.
I never had a problem with our Atwood 6 gallon in our Sunnybrook TT but on the Suburban our problems have been burnt thermostat on the electrical side, faulty switch on the outside of the HW heater (inside was functioning) and the check valves which have stopped functioning prevent us from getting any hot water. Prior to the failure we had diminishing HW, a whining noise when drawing HW and finally no hot water. Hope you find the cause soon. Good Luck.

BigGuy82

We used the water heater on 120v only, LP only, and 120v with LP. We always ran out of hot water. Why?
Here is the model.
View attachment 50378

Have a Suburban SW12DE. One reason I bought this coach is that it had a large shower and the last time I took what someone referred to as a Navy shower was 48 years ago when I was in the Army overseas. In other words, I like real showers and I don't like taking them in a closet. Obviously, we are not dry campers.

Long story short, we run this unit on 120v and the water out off the tap is very nearly too hot to put your hand under. I take long, hot showers using the factory head and have never run out of hot water. Often times, my wife and I will take showers within 5 minutes of each other and we still don't run out.

When the coach was new, there was a tag on a cabinet handle that I thought indicated that it was a 20 gallon tank. However, it's not - it's a 12 gallon tank with a supposedly faster recovery rate.

If we pull into a campsite and want nearly immediate hot water, we use both 120 and LP simultaneously. Never timed it, but it is very quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jgbagwell

Piperflyer, there are two possibilities. You experiencing a hot shower with a seemingly endless supply of hot water affirms that my experiences are true. Or you are just as misguided (aka crazy) as I am.
I have a new trailer and I took it back to the dealer to solve the problem. Hopefuly they will have it corrected in the next couple of months (end of May).

Westwind

Definitely have a problem with something - a good RV tech should find the problem, if not insist on a new HW Heater and see if you can get a Atwood in place of the Suburban and do away with the anode rod.

Piperflyer

Turned out the thermostat on the 120v side was bad. I replaced it and the water is hot again. $9.00 fix....

crussian

Just received my thermostat yesterday, will install and let you know if that fixed it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

crussian

Hi All - a little distressed here. As I mentioned earlier I received the thermostat for the Suburban Water Heater. I took pictures for the before and after so I could post the pics. I labeled the pics so you can see my dilemma. The original pic has the reset button at the top (grey round plastic). Red wires on the left. The newly ordered thermostat installed has the reset button (grey round plastic) on the bottom. Not correct. So I looked at the water heater manual on this site and it doesn't speak of thermostat (I did a word search). So, can I mount it upside down and install so the reset button is in the correct position? The red wiring will switch as well. not much room on the right side of the casing but I'll make it work.

Was just wondering if someone has run up against this before and what was done. Bottom line is that the reset button must be located to the top.

Thanks in advance.

C&J

Attachments

• package for thermostat.jpg
    package for thermostat.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 26
  • after install.jpg
    after install.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 38
  • original thermostat.jpg
    original thermostat.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 36

danemayer

Hi All - a little distressed here. As I mentioned earlier I received the thermostat for the Suburban Water Heater. I took pictures for the before and after so I could post the pics. I labeled the pics so you can see my dilemma. The original pic has the reset button at the top (grey round plastic). Red wires on the left. The newly ordered thermostat installed has the reset button (grey round plastic) on the bottom. Not correct. So I looked at the water heater manual on this site and it doesn't speak of thermostat (I did a word search). So, can I mount it upside down and install so the reset button is in the correct position? The red wiring will switch as well. not much room on the right side of the casing but I'll make it work.

Was just wondering if someone has run up against this before and what was done. Bottom line is that the reset button must be located to the top.

Thanks in advance.

C&J
Cary,

There are a couple of problems.

First, refer to the Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide, page 7. The 120V Thermostat/ECO is normally on the left with black wires. In your pictures, with reference to red wires, it appears you've changed out the 12V thermostat and replaced it with the 120V thermostat. If so, you may still have a non-functional electric operation. I'm not sure whether you'd also now have a non-functional 12V/propane operation because I'm not sure there's any difference in the electrical properties of the two sensors. The difference could just be the mirror image of power connections.

Second, if you note the wiring diagram on page 7, you'll see that power flows through the thermostat and ECO sensors. So one wire is an IN and the other is an OUT. If both sensors are closed, power will flow. I don't know of any reason the circuit would be uni-directional. So you would just orient the reset button toward the top.

I'd suggest you measure the voltage coming into each sensor to make sure you're replacing the 120V thermostat. It's certainly possible that Suburban changed something since our Troubleshooting Guide was written. But if not, you'll want to replace the right part.

crussian

Cary,

There are a couple of problems.

First, refer to the Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide, page 7. The 120V Thermostat/ECO is normally on the left with black wires. In your pictures, with reference to red wires, it appears you've changed out the 12V thermostat and replaced it with the 120V thermostat. If so, you may still have a non-functional electric operation. I'm not sure whether you'd also now have a non-functional 12V/propane operation because I'm not sure there's any difference in the electrical properties of the two sensors. The difference could just be the mirror image of power connections.

Second, if you note the wiring diagram on page 7, you'll see that power flows through the thermostat and ECO sensors. So one wire is an IN and the other is an OUT. If both sensors are closed, power will flow. I don't know of any reason the circuit would be uni-directional. So you would just orient the reset button toward the top.

I'd suggest you measure the voltage coming into each sensor to make sure you're replacing the 120V thermostat. It's certainly possible that Suburban changed something since our Troubleshooting Guide was written. But if not, you'll want to replace the right part.

Dang it:
Note that the sensor on the left carries 110V AC and the sensor on the right carries 12V DC.

I read it wrong and ordered the wrong one. Well, I have Monday to see if the two local RV shops have a replacement for the 12VDC.

Thanks.

C&J

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, started to dial up the one RV place that is open on Sat. Then I remembered that the 12V does work. The 110V does not. So I ordered the right part, just tried to install it on the wrong side. That's the only thing that explains it all. Will keep you posted.

C&J

Piperflyer

You're 120 V thermostat is on the black wires on the left side this controls your electric heat. The 12 V Thermostat right side is for your electric propane gas part of your water heater. They both have two different part numbers and it appears you ordered the wrong one

crussian

You're 120 V thermostat is on the black wires on the left side this controls your electric heat. The 12 V Thermostat right side is for your electric propane gas part of your water heater. They both have two different part numbers and it appears you ordered the wrong one

Package says 110V(left side). The 12V is working.(right side) according to the picture in the book.

C&J

crussian

Thanks. How long on 110v should it take to open up hot water tap for warm to hot water?

C&J

Piperflyer

30 - 45 minutes you should feel a difference in the water temp. If you want it to warm up real fast turn both electric and propane on for awhile.

crussian

Ok, thanks. Was worried after changing the thermostat that the heater core was bad as well.

C&J

Lou_and_Bette

30 - 45 minutes you should feel a difference in the water temp. If you want it to warm up real fast turn both electric and propane on for awhile.

I have a question, if the water is hot using electric, and I switch the 12v on in preparation of fast regeneration, should the red light come on, or does the red light only come on when the ignition sequence actually starts?