Suburban water heater.

danemayer

I have a question, if the water is hot using electric, and I switch the 12v on in preparation of fast regeneration, should the red light come on, or does the red light only come on when the ignition sequence actually starts?

Hi Lou (or maybe Bette),

The light comes on to let you know the ignition sequence is underway. But if the water is already at 130 (F) because the electric side is on, both the 120V and 12V/propane thermostats will be open and you may not see a light until a minute or two into using the shower when the water temp in the tank drops.

Piperflyer

I have both a 120V and 12V switch for the hot water. If the 120v is on and on turn on the 12v switch also for a quicker recovery time of the hot water; both light switches stay on until I shut one or the other off. I'd say it's a reminder that your switch is on. If the switch is on the light is on

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The red light on our hot water switch comes on whenever the switch is on . . . even when the water is hot.

Westwind

On my Suburban HW Heater when you turn on the electricity side the switch on the inside of the trailer will light up so you know it's on, you definitely want to make sure it has filled up with water first or you will burn out the electrical element. On the gas side, tanks must be open, you go to the gas switch, mine says heater and switch it on, a small red light next to the switch lights and after the gas ignites on the HW heater it should go out to let you know it's lit, and you could hear it running from the outside. On that gas side that will happen if the water is cold or hot, it's really to know if the Gas side has fired up. There really isn't a way to tell if the water is hot until you open the tap and let the water run, but it does take awhile to heat up 10 or 12 gallons of water. Hope this helps
The is also another switch that will prevent the Hot water heater from work, gas or electric, it's located on the heater, ours is a small black rocker switch that says on/off. Don't let it get wet when you are draining the HW heater, it could short our, don't ask me how I know.

crussian

Turned on the hot water switch, water in system, left on for 30 min, nothing but cold. Thermostat is new. Guess next step is the heater core.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

There is two 120v hot water switches, one in the coach and one at the heater itself, are both turned on?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes, do the heating rods go out that often, 2-3 years?

Still using the OEM heating element in ours that was installed in 2008 when the rig was built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crussian

Sorry for the delay. We were boondocking in Florence Az for 6 days. Did not have a chance to swap out. Will do this weekend. Its back to work today.

crussian

Installed the heater core but supper called. Will hook up to city water after work and fill the water tank. Turn everything on and cross my fingers.

crussian

Installed the heater core but supper called. Will hook up to city water after work and fill the water tank. Turn everything on and cross my fingers.

Surprise of the century. At least for me. Pulled the fuse panel off the wall. Went to the wires that supported the water heater. LOOSE crimp. Yes, 3 weeks of troubleshooting. A poor crimp. I still can't believe it. While I was there I checked all the crimps and connects. Solid. Re-crimped the wire, closed up. Crossed my fingers. Hit the 120V switch. Went inside and waited about 15 minutes. Yikes! HOT water. On 110V.

Thanks for all your inputs. Just goes to show, ya never know.

C&J

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Great work trouble shooting. I guess we all need to get our volt meters out and check the voltage on stuff first. We tend to take it for granted that it is right.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CarterKraft

Great work trouble shooting. I guess we all need to get our volt meters out and check the voltage on stuff first. We tend to take it for granted that it is right.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Troubleshooting without facts can be pretty costly if your not lucky. Always measure voltage first, DVM's are FREE at Harbor Freight.