Surge Protector

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had a Surge Guard go bad on me after about 4 years. I called Surge Guard and they would not replace it. They did offer me a new one for $240 but I had to return the old one.

I had heard that someone who had a Surge Guard that saved their trailer but was severly damaged and Surge Guard replaced it for free. I am not sure that is the case.

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had a Surge Guard go bad on me after about 4 years. I called Surge Guard and they would not replace it. They did offer me a new one for $240 but I had to return the old one.

I had heard that someone who had a Surge Guard that saved their trailer but was severly damaged and Surge Guard replaced it for free. I am not sure that is the case.

BC

I had my Progressive Dynamics EMS get fried and it was replaced for free after owning it for 5 years.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim, how do you tell if a pedestal has an open ground?
Marty & Mickey
Well, you can buy a gizmo that you plug in and it will tell you, or you can buy a good electrical management system that will monitor that. Progressive EMS comes to mind.

Peace
Dave

dmcessna

And the electrical management system is different than the surge protector?

Marty & Mickey
Well, you can buy a gizmo that you plug in and it will tell you, or you can buy a good electrical management system that will monitor that. Progressive EMS comes to mind.

Peace
Dave

dmcessna

Thank you Dave. Here's another rookie question - I've read here about 30A adapters. If I pull into a space with my 50A coach and the pedestal is 30A do I need an adapter in order to hook up?

Marty & Mickey

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You'll want the dogbone adapter that has a 30A male end (3-prongs) that plugs into the pedestal 30A outlet and a 50A female end that you can plug your primary 50A cord into. Then just attach the Marinco fitting to the coach like you normally would.

This one: http://tweetys.com/30-amp-male-to-50-amp-female-ezee-grip-electrical-adapter.aspx

I've got one and can use it to connect my 30A cord to my 50A cord as an extension, should I ever need it at a 30A site. With only the one A/C, I could get away with only 30A.

Dale Smith

I am really hopeful that someone close to the factory will be reading this and can respond with an answer. With all this talk about surge protection, why would trailer after trailer be produced without any protection such as this. Is there an optional install available at the factory, I don't hear anyone talking about it, if there is.
Having said this, it begs the question why would it not be part of the original factory equipment? I understand the aftermarket business but it seems that something as relevant as protection of your investment should be part of the original package.

It seems that people are going out and spending hundreds of dollars right after they made a major purchase for a large piece of equipment that lacks protection? Just doesn't seem to make sense.

Dale :confused:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I know that HL does now installed these at the factory if you order with the Full Timers Package.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi Dale
To answer your question. Unless you purchase a very high end RV (such as maybe a Prevost) you will not get all the extras everyone wants. That is what keeps the initial cost down so us poor people can purchase an RV.

Some of the things most RV's don't come with:
Leveling system
Water regulator
Surge Protector
Trail Air pin box (and other such non standard pin boxes)
Air Ride system
5 cu ft freezers
WiFi System
Satellite system
Water Filter System
Cookware, Silverware,
BBQ Grill (ie Webber outdoor grill)
Washer & Dryer (you can get them but they cost extra)

I would just like to buy a 5th wheel that never needed to go back to the dealer or mfgr for repairs for at least 10 years. I could add most anything else I needed with no problem.

So to answer your question... You can get all these things in an RV but you and I would not be able to afford it.

Have you seen the 5th wheel trailer and TV that some of the movie stars have started using? I think they have everything..

FWIW
BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I am really hopeful that someone close to the factory will be reading this and can respond with an answer. With all this talk about surge protection, why would trailer after trailer be produced without any protection such as this. Is there an optional install available at the factory, I don't hear anyone talking about it, if there is.
Having said this, it begs the question why would it not be part of the original factory equipment? I understand the aftermarket business but it seems that something as relevant as protection of your investment should be part of the original package.

It seems that people are going out and spending hundreds of dollars right after they made a major purchase for a large piece of equipment that lacks protection? Just doesn't seem to make sense.

Dale :confused:

You can install it yourself for about $400, depending on the model you get. Installed by the factory, there might be a higher than you like mark-up on it and you might be unhappy with the brand they put in.