question on hardwired surge protector - EMS-HW50C

CoveredWagon

I agree with all of this, both sides. Every less joint is one less POTENTIAL failure point. I like KISS. Just me.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Considering the fact that I don't haul our rig around nearly as much as many others, having plug connections coming loose would not be a problem. Will I do it? Maybe if I get bored sometime and feel like mucking around in the Basement "o" Doom again. Or if my surge suppressor should suddenly decide to take a dump and I have to remove/replace it.

CoveredWagon

Considering the fact that I don't haul our rig around nearly as much as many others, having plug connections coming loose would not be a problem. Will I do it? Maybe if I get bored sometime and feel like mucking around in the Basement "o" Doom again. Or if my surge suppressor should suddenly decide to take a dump and I have to remove/replace it.

LOL 😂 I can relate to that. You should how many things I have purchased for projects that I have talked myself out of doing cause I find something else to do.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
LOL 😂 I can relate to that. You should how many things I have purchased for projects that I have talked myself out of doing cause I find something else to do.

I've always got something to do, whether I like it or not. Often it falls under the "Honey Do" listing. Many of the Honey Do's require the purchase of lumber, new tools and/or accessories for them. ;)

shurack24

Thank you to everyone for the replies; most helpful indeed, and some terrific points made.
I did pull the power distribution panel out and found that the shore power cord come up thru the floor directly under the cabinet; it does not take a trip thru the basement.
However, that cabinet does abut the basement wall, and there does appear to be enough of a loop that after disconnecting the shore power cord from rear of the panel, I should be able to reroute the cord to the basement area.
There should be enough slack in the wire to reach far enough. I plan to reroute the cord and mount the EMS in as best a position as I can based on how far the cord actually reaches once I get started. From there, I just need to buy a 3 or 4 foot long piece to go from the EMS back to the power panel and we're golden.
Sunday night we ordered the hardwired version (EMS-HW50C) from Tweeys.com for $303 with free shipping.
Thanks again to all; and I will post pictures, post-install.

CoveredWagon

Thank you to everyone for the replies; most helpful indeed, and some terrific points made.
I did pull the power distribution panel out and found that the shore power cord come up thru the floor directly under the cabinet; it does not take a trip thru the basement.
However, that cabinet does abut the basement wall, and there does appear to be enough of a loop that after disconnecting the shore power cord from rear of the panel, I should be able to reroute the cord to the basement area.
There should be enough slack in the wire to reach far enough. I plan to reroute the cord and mount the EMS in as best a position as I can based on how far the cord actually reaches once I get started. From there, I just need to buy a 3 or 4 foot long piece to go from the EMS back to the power panel and we're golden.
Sunday night we ordered the hardwired version (EMS-HW50C) from Tweeys.com for $303 with free shipping.
Thanks again to all; and I will post pictures, post-install.

juat as an FYI you might consider buying 4 single pieces of 6 gage wire instead of the 6/4. It will be a lot easier to handle. You might even cover it with a piece of convoluted tubing for extra protection.

jgbagwell

What happens when a hardwired surge protector shorts? - EMS-HW50C

Surge Protecter external melted.jpgSurge Guard worked.jpg
What happens when a hardwired surge protector is sacrificed? Is there a fire in the coach?

danemayer

Re: What happens when a hardwired surge protector shorts? - EMS-HW50C

What happens when a hardwired surge protector is sacrificed? Is there a fire in the coach?

The reason it's described as sacrificial is that it gets destroyed to save the trailer.