surround sound

Wharton

We have the Sharp Tv/Samsung combo and have installed the optical cable but nothing happens with surround sound. We set the Samsung on D-IN. Any ideas??? Do we have to do anything with the Sat receiver?

ChopperBill

We have the Sharp Tv/Samsung combo and have installed the optical cable but nothing happens with surround sound. We set the Samsung on D-IN. Any ideas??? Do we have to do anything with the Sat receiver?
Tom I have the same setup you do but I'll be darned if I can remember any tricks. I do remember I have to set the Sammy to D-IN to make it work. I seldom use surround except for a movie because it sounds good enough from the TV speakers for us. But I do know it works. If the BH wasnt in storage I would take a look but dont give up. I will also add all our TV's and DVD players at home are Samsung and they are a breeze to figure out compared to the other stuff.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
I hope you get a reply on this one. I posed the same question, both to the forum and to "Ask the Factory" and so far have not seen a response. I am pretty sure it is just a setting on either the TV or the Samsung that is not in correct position.

Wharton

With the optic cable nothing is working(using D-in on Samsung, tried others), we put in some RCA cables(using Aux) and have 3 of the 5 speakers working. Put the TV in "surround sound" but still only 3 of the 5 speakers work. We put a DVD in that said it had "surround" and all the speakers work. Don't know if the RCA cables can't do surround or it is some other issue. Maybe surround sound has an additional channel that has to be available for all the speakers to work.

Another of lifes challenges. My wife has wanted a patch panel for many years so she could just move the cables around for what she wants to do. She may have a point, it would be a lot simpler and less frustrating.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Someone told me you have to set TV audio output on Dolby. Worth trying.

My sincere thanks to everyone on this thread. I was finally able to hook up the surround sound in my 3600RL.
Just got this used unit a week ago and trying to learn the differences from my old toy Hauler.

Paul