Suspension problem

Stormvet

C) #3 axle dr. side.jpgB) #2 axle dr. side.jpgA)#1 axle dr. side.jpgI recently purchased a 2009 cyclone 3950 and it's back in the shop AGAIN.
I just had the suspension upgraded to TrailAire Equa-Flex. Only been out one trip since upgrade and have questions.
I noticed that the center axle leaf springs seemed to be pinned up against the hanger brackets and doesn't seem to allow forward/rear motion. Also that the new rear axle they replaced upon purchase has only 4 leafs.
The hanger brackets are mounted 29 1/2" for the 1st axle, 33" between 2nd axle and 29 1/2" for 3rd axle. This is correct per Lippert.
I am having them replace the 1/4" shackle links with 1/2" and greaseable bolts, but I can't figure out the problem I see with the leaf spring.
I am thinking that the leaf springs should be somewhat centered between brackets and the links should be about a 45 degree angle.
Anyone have any thought about this? Are the leaf springs different lengths for the center and axles 1 & 3.
Thanks

Wrenched

Is it possible that the spring lengths are the same and the difference between the axles is causing a bind? In other words, are the springs between the axles that are closer together,... shorter or not?

caissiel

The middle spring looks to long and jamming in the saddle.
The center distance needs to be longer then the others.
Are you sure the stabilizers were installed properly. The rear stabilizer needs the spring eye be bolted in the specially made part. And the spring eye ahead of it needs to be attached to the links.
Per the middle photo i see that the rear should be toward the left and spring to long. Also I see that springs all look to long. Are you sure they are Lippert specked right at 25.25in.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

wrgrs50s

It looks like the correct length leaf spring was used on the 1st pic and the 2 others are way too long. I know very little about what this conversion entails but something is seriously wrong with this set up. Wrong springs or something???

Stormvet

The 1st and 2nd axles have the same length leaf spring, the 3rd measured about 1 1/2" shorter. It confuses me that there is a 33" spacing between the hangers for the middle axle and that would make me think it should allow less binding that the other 2 that are 29 1/2"

caissiel

IThe tri axle setup has the 2nd spring front eye attached away from the 2nd hanger plate so the spacing needs to be longer. And if both front and back are 29.5inches the springs need to be same length. 29.5" looks like 25.25 springs are required.
Remember all springs need to be equal. Its the axle distance that change if any. And its the 2nd to 3rd that is 3.5" different in spacing. And if the springs are not properly match on each axles tire wear will happen.
Do many spring replacement and do it one axle complete every time with same set bought together.
The equalizers are way out of alignment

kkamshop

Look at the middle axle,the rear trail air equalizer is already broken and the spring up on the frame.

danemayer

The 1st and 2nd axles have the same length leaf spring, the 3rd measured about 1 1/2" shorter. It confuses me that there is a 33" spacing between the hangers for the middle axle and that would make me think it should allow less binding that the other 2 that are 29 1/2"
I think the leaf springs are supposed to be 26". I know that's true for Dexter axles and I'm attaching a Lippert sheet that makes me think they also are supposed to be 26".

A call to Lippert should clear it up.

Attachments

• Lippert Axle Leaf Springs.pdf
    633.7 KB · Views: 22

Stormvet

If the lenghts are suppose to be 25 1/4" then the only one that is correct is the 3rd axle that was replaced, although it is only 4 leafs and the other 2 original were 6 leafs.I measured approx 27+" from bolt hole to bolt hole on the 6 leaf springs, while under weight so I don't know if thats the right way to measure them or not. I talked to the shop today and they said they ordered 2 ea. new 6 leaf springs and hardware. So if the 6 leaf springs are too long then it will not fix the problem, unless they remount the support brackets farther away. The other thing I learned is that the 4 leaf are 3000 lb. and the 6 leaf are 3500 lb. I like the idea of heavier springs because the coach is rated 18K lb. and that gives me a little room for error in weight, but no good if they don't fit.Thanks for the responses.

Stormvet

Thanks for the leaf spring sheet. Looks like the 3000 lb (4 leaf) is 25 1/4", which is about right for the 3rd axle. BUT the 3500 lb (6 leaf) is suppose to be 24 7/8". which is even shorter and should have even less change for binding. I think they have the wrong length leaf springs on the coach now. I am not a mechanic, but I do pay attention to details. and believe in preventative maintenance. I just want to make sure my starting point is correct.

Last edited:

caissiel

I checked the lippert spring list and it looks like they are listed as 26in springs at 29 and 33.

Both Dexter and Lippert show 26 in springs.

My Lippert spring that I carry for spare removed from the 7k axle measures 25.25in. That is unloaded. Just went out and measured eye to eye. That s how I always measured my springs. Seem to be standard trailer type.
I can bet that 26in is the eye to eye dimension loaded. But did not measure the main ply length that could be 26in.

wdk450

I had the same problem, even had the "Mobile Outfitters" (Lippert subsidiary) guys at the Goshen rally replace the springs, had them talk to Heartland about spring hangar spacing after the replacement Lippert springs didn't fix the problem. I finally went to an independent trailer servicer and builder in Sacramento with 30 years experience. He got me the CORRECT length springs, and now the equalizers run flat and the spring ends don't rub against the frame. To bad I had to throw away so much money, and have so much frustration over an easy fix problem.

BTW, I am now thinking about a trip to the 2015 Goshen Rally, mainly to also go to MorRyde for and independent suspension upgrade.

Stormvet

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I am suppose to get my rig back next week, and will provide more feedback then.