Switch for back up camera

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
looking to switch my original wired to a transmitter back up camera. it has a 12v hot and ground wire going to it. was thinking i could just run a 2 wire and hook up a illuminated switch to it. is this going to work? does the switch need 3 wires?

brianharrison

Hi Michael, not quite sure on your proposed set up but for an illuminated switch there are three prongs - one for hot feed, one for switched feed, and one for ground. When on - switched feed and ground illuminate the light in the switch.

Hope this helps.

lighted_switch_wiring.jpg

Brian

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks Brian. I was thinking that was the answer. i an going to just switch the hot going to the transmitter. i will just have to get a ground from some place.

Steadfast

looking to switch my original wired to a transmitter back up camera. it has a 12v hot and ground wire going to it. was thinking i could just run a 2 wire and hook up a illuminated switch to it. is this going to work? does the switch need 3 wires?
I discovered that there is a positive and ground wire running through the bottom of the rear overhead storage in our 2011 3670 Big Horn. I suspect your Landmark will have the same. We put the illuminated switch in as you describe. We installed the Voyager model WVOS511 and are working with the manufacturer to get it to get it to communicate with the monitor 100% of the time. If there is nothing close for the signal from the camera to reflect off of, we lose the signal. The signal will not penetrate through the unit. On a positive note, their tech support is working with us to find a solution. I hope your experience is better.

Steadfast

I discovered that there is a positive and ground wire running through the bottom of the rear overhead storage in our 2011 3670 Big Horn. I suspect your Landmark will have the same. We put the illuminated switch in as you describe. We installed the Voyager model WVOS511 and are working with the manufacturer to get it to get it to communicate with the monitor 100% of the time. If there is nothing close for the signal from the camera to reflect off of, we lose the signal. The signal will not penetrate through the unit. On a positive note, their tech support is working with us to find a solution. I hope your experience is better.
As it turns out, the ground from the rear interior light was insufficient to provide an adequate ground plane. I connected to a different ground and all is well.