Swivelwheel-58dw

dvanden75

Looking to get one of these for my Big Country 3494QBS to haul a golf cart on. Does anybody have one or any suggestions or comments on them.

danemayer

I notice 2 things on their website that they were concerned enough to mention:
1) carrying an electric golf cart gives you 750-800 pounds of tongue weight which might be a lot for your frame.
2) they admit uncertainty about whether this would be considered a "triple-tow"

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I've seen a couple. Both modified to some extent, but seemed to do the job. Some questions on legality of not having a separate license plate.

m455sx

I have ordered one this week and plan on installing next week. I have done some research on the net and it seems that you would need to call the swivel wheel, a certified load extender. I have seen a couple here in Virginia and i have spoken to 1 RVer and he mentioned that he has never been pulled or questioned.I can keep you posted on the out come.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Those are legal here in NC because they are considered an extension of your camper. We very strongly considered buying one ourselves but we were unsure of how it might change the towing characteristics of our rig. So for now we will depend on our daughter and son in law to tow our golf car to the beach for us.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

GOTTOYS

Don't know if this is true or not, but I heard it can damage the trailer frame if you hit a dip, the trailer sinks down and the swivel wheel unit goes up or the opposite can happen. Do they have a provision to move up and down separate from the trailer. If not that's an awfully long spread between the wheels. Just thinking...Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Don't know if this is true or not, but I heard it can damage the trailer frame if you hit a dip, the trailer sinks down and the swivel wheel unit goes up or the opposite can happen. Do they have a provision to move up and down separate from the trailer. If not that's an awfully long spread between the wheels. Just thinking...Don

The one I saw does have the ability to pivot up and down, independent from the fiver.
It can not pivot side to side however.

I e-mailed Swivelwheel questioning the "check local towing laws" disclaimer. Their reply was that you might have to license it in some states, or provinces as a cargo platform.
They stated that as far as they are concerned (and any place they had heard of), it is not a trailer and therefore is not considered triple towing. Trace

m455sx

My swivel wheel is supposed to show up today. I will post pictures of the install etc. for all yall to see.

m455sx

here is a pic of it after it was put together. Welder coming this afternnon. I will post pix once attached to camper.

Attachments

• 2012-05-17_swivelwheel.jpg
    2012-05-17_swivelwheel.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 159

TandT

Nice. I'll follow your progress. I would like to eventually get one myself.

porthole

Retired
So, if you mount a hydraulic ram under the Swivel wheel to the trailer frame you could have the ram push the trailer up and off the roadway to cut the tolls down. Yes - no? Those extra axles and dual rear wheels on trucks sure do increase the cost of travel.

m455sx

Here it is loaded. I went to Virginia Beach and back with little problems. I did stop check and i had lost and or damaged straps. will have to figure out a differnt way to strp it down.

Attachments

• 2012-05-24_swivel1.jpg
    2012-05-24_swivel1.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 2012-05-24_Swivelwheel2.jpg
    2012-05-24_Swivelwheel2.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 2012-05-24swivel3.jpg
    2012-05-24swivel3.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 118

MC9

I hauled my GC home from AZ. I started to lose one of the windshields so, I unscrewed the rest of the screws and put it inside. There is just too much travel in the suspension so, you have to tie down the axle part. I watched mine in the camera and there is a lot of movement back there. I used a small Harbor Freight trailer. Maybe a wheel harness like on a tow dolly?

m455sx

I was thinking of getting a bunch of D-rings from Tractor Supply and seeing what i can do. I have a trip scheduled in July to head to Myrtle Beach and do not want any problems.

TandT

m455sx, Did you attract any attention from law enforcement? Just curious. Trace