Synthetic Oil

'Lil Guy'

My Ram 2500 is relatively new with about 7500 miles on it. I had them drop the oil at 4K to get a clean refill. I want to run full synthetic in it asap. My concern is the break in on the truck. How long do you wait to change to syn? Thanks in advance.

MTPockets

There is no issue at all with break in time. Are you gas or Diesel? No matter, but my Ford diesel manual simply says to not tow heavy loads until after first 1000 miles and to use 5w40 synthetic for severe duty, which is described as slow driving, and towing heavy loads.

'Lil Guy'

It's the Cummins CTD. owed twice. Just want to go to My usual (Royal Purple ) Not sure if these things ned more miles before the change.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you read the RAM Diesel Supplement that came in the owners packet it states that there is no break in period.
Hitch up and tow as engine run-in is enhanced by loaded operating conditions.
Although it doesn't say anything about early oil changes I doubt it will hurt anything.

Peace
Dave

Lynn1130

Many cars/trucks today are coming from the factory with synthetic oil. As long as you stay with the recommended weight there is no problem with warranty and synthetic.

danemayer

If you read the RAM Diesel Supplement that came in the owners packet it states that there is no break in period.
Hitch up and tow as engine run-in is enhanced by loaded operating conditions.
Although it doesn't say anything about early oil changes I doubt it will hurt anything.

Peace
Dave

Dave, it does say that there's no break in period, but when you get to the Trailer Towing section, there are some warnings about early life towing.

Attachments

• Towing Break In.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 62

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, like so many other things there is contradicting information.
Thanks Dan.

Peace
Dave

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
My Ram 2500 is relatively new with about 7500 miles on it. I had them drop the oil at 4K to get a clean refill. I want to run full synthetic in it asap. My concern is the break in on the truck. How long do you wait to change to syn? Thanks in advance.

You can run Synthetic from day one. If it is the Cummings diesel break-in is not required and both Cummings and RAM highly recommend using Synthetic as long as it is the correct formula for your driving conditions. I have personally only used synthetic oil since 1990 when I bought a new Jeep Cherokee. I put 175,000 miles on it and it never ever burned a drop of oil. Only reason I traded it in was the paint was coming off of it. I also lived in Colorado at the time so it saw a lot on mountain and cold weather driving. Synthetic oil is the cheapest and most effective way to keep an engine in top shape. Especially a diesel.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I change my oil every 5,000 miles on every truck I owned...use Shell Rotella and never had a reason to pay higher prices for synthetic oil just to go longer between oil changes. Ram book states every 7500 miles, but why? I just don't see the reason for changing over to synthetic when the cost for an oil change is much cheaper than trying to push a few more miles. It will not prolong your diesel life any longer than a few more oil changes....just my opinion and that of my dealer as well. Since my truck is deleted, my oil looks almost the same after 5,000 miles as when it was first changed....the egr isn't stuffing the oil full of pollutants....if you are not deleted, look at your oil and then decide if you want to push the miles on that black tar that is flowing out on an oil change.

'Lil Guy'

Like I said,I towed twice and did wait till I had about 1500 miles on it. I did read the manual. On other Ram forums they say it will get better mileage after it runs in good. I've always changed th oil in my vehicles early and religiously. Probably to often. With that said, I'll go ahead and plan on puting in the syn oil soon. Mainly wanting some input here on how others are treating their diesels that will be towing. Most of he Ram forums seem to be about hot rodding their trucks. Thanks for the replies.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Like I said,I towed twice and did wait till I had about 1500 miles on it. I did read the manual. On other Ram forums they say it will get better mileage after it runs in good. I've always changed th oil in my vehicles early and religiously. Probably to often. With that said, I'll go ahead and plan on puting in the syn oil soon. Mainly wanting some input here on how others are treating their diesels that will be towing. Most of he Ram forums seem to be about hot rodding their trucks. Thanks for the replies.

You not going to get into any trouble based on your oil changing plan. As far as hot rodding your truck I read some of the same forums and there I would be very Leary of most of the TUNERS. Besides voiding your warranty some of the tricks can cause serious issues with both your engine and transmission in the long haul. My Ram 3500 is fully tuned to tow my 5th wheel and I believe the top 3 truck manufactures are doing a great job to make their trucks even better for this segment of the truck market is the most profitable and fastest growing.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I change my oil every 5,000 miles on every truck I owned...use Shell Rotella and never had a reason to pay higher prices for synthetic oil just to go longer between oil changes. Ram book states every 7500 miles, but why? I just don't see the reason for changing over to synthetic when the cost for an oil change is much cheaper than trying to push a few more miles. It will not prolong your diesel life any longer than a few more oil changes....just my opinion and that of my dealer as well. Since my truck is deleted, my oil looks almost the same after 5,000 miles as when it was first changed....the egr isn't stuffing the oil full of pollutants....if you are not deleted, look at your oil and then decide if you want to push the miles on that black tar that is flowing out on an oil change.

I have to agree , Rotella T for me also . My brother in law just sold his F350 work van with almost a million miles and all It seen was Rotella changed at 10000 miles. I change my oil a 10000 miles also but in the beginning had samples tested and still good at that mileage. The oil now is so much better than in the OLD days but some still change at 3000 miles even if its synthetic what a waste.

jnbhobe

I change all my gas motors at 3K and have many at 200K on the road. I do my diesels at 5K with Rotella 15-40. I plan on the same on the new truck but I may not get 500 miles before I have to tow to Elkhart. I'm not too worried about it, I was always the guy who drove it like you stole it !!

porthole

Retired
For me - 6000-8000 miles at least before switching to synthetic.
I only use syn when the sale price is within a buck or 2 of the dino stuff.
But most of the time it is Rotella dino at 6-7000 miles.

The benefits of syn oil kind of make it a detriment to an engine breaking in. As to Royal purple, don't know how their diesel oil rates, but the air cooled motorcycle oil is among the lowest rated oils.

jeffdee

I change all my gas motors at 3K and have many at 200K on the road. I do my diesels at 5K with Rotella 15-40. I plan on the same on the new truck but I may not get 500 miles before I have to tow to Elkhart. I'm not too worried about it, I was always the guy who drove it like you stole it !!

I will be following your maintenance plan as well. I just traded in a 2010 6.4L with 40,000 miles. I had it 5 1/2 years since new and changed the oil at every 5K on the odometer. I also used 15W40 Rotella. The truck provided me with exceptional service.

However, I now have a 2015 6.7L with the DEF fluid to deal with. I will let the dealer change the oil and top off the DEF every 5K miles. This way there will be no question about me using/adding incorrect DEF. Also my dealer is always offering service discounts so it will be worth the somewhat additional expense for oil changes.

With respect to a break in period, this is what was stated in my 2015 6.7L Ford Diesel Supplement manual. I plan to make my first 200 mile towing trip this Thursday with 650 miles on the odometer. I have been running around town and one trip out of town since taking delivery. So far there appears to be no issues with this truck.

Breaking-In Your Vehicle
Your vehicle does not need an extensive
break-in. Try not to drive continuously at
the same speed for the first 1000 miles
(1600 kilometers) of new vehicle
operation. Vary your speed to allow parts
to adjust themselves to other parts.
Drive your new vehicle at least 500 miles
(800 kilometers) before towing a trailer.
Make sure you use the specified engine oil.

scottyb

If it makes you feel better, then by all means spend the extra money. Rotella T for me, especially now that I have to buy 11 gallons every time.

MTPockets

Does the Ram manual give you guidelines? My Ford manual specifies 5w40 synthetic for severe duty, which is described as towing heavy loads. I go with whatever the manufacturer suggests.

Birchwood

I change my oil when my GMC tells me its reached 20 %.I also use Rotella .I also change my fuel filter when it tells me to.
I think its around 12000 miles before I change my oil.