Tailgater vs. Pathway X2

TXTiger

I am looking into the portable satellite universe. I have decided to go with DishTV rather than DirectTV because Dish has HD programming in the portable universe and has Pay As You Go programing with no contract. My two choices for a satellite dish are the Tailgater or the new Pathway X2. Both are fully automatic. Both use the VP211z receiver which can have a external hard drive DVR as an option at an extra cost. The Tailgater only has one coax output for one television. The Pathway X2 has two outputs for two televisions. The Tailgater sells for about $350, the Pathway X2 runs about $450. I have heard no complaints regarding the Tailgater. Does anyone have the Pathway X2 and if so what do you like/dislike about it other that you can run 2 tv's at the same time?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Tony, we also use Dish network, but use the Winegard Carryout. It will support two TV's and receives HD signal. It's also great to be able to get local channels with a phone call to customer service.

HornedToad

You definitely want this new "fully automatic" Pathway X2 compared to a very similar Winegard Carry Out model that I have... http://www.winegard.com/anser/index.php
With this carry out model (jayc probably has the fully automatic carry out) you have to set the elevation then it automatically finds the satellite. If this antenna is not absolutely level when you set the elevation you have the same problems as with a manual antenna. Once I get my antenna set up with a bubble level, I haven't had any other problems even though I bang it around pretty good storing and setting it up. I've never used the second connection.

Since the size and shape of the new Pathway is similar to my antenna, and my tailgating neighbor has a Tailgater, I will add one observation... with the Tailgater being more compact it is easier to carry up the ladder and place on the roof.

chiefneon

Howdy!

Its my under standing that the Pathway X2 can not be mounted the top or ladder of the RV, but it does have a large dish which is better for satellite reception. You also may want to look at the new Pathway X1 which Winegaud just released. Smaller than the X2 and I beleive can be mounted. My self we use DirecTV and we're waiting to see if Wineguad comes out with a new portable for DTV in the Pathway X2 or X1.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

SeattleLion

We used a Tailgater last season. It did a really good job and delivered all of the high def channels. The Dish service was very expensive. We like the premium channels and it cost us $135/month. We have DirecTV at home and get everything for less. The "cancel" anytime deal from Dish has a little catch. We turned it off last summer and I was told that I will automatically have to start paying again in June. Other than that, the Tailgater was trouble free. Now that we have traded up to a Bighorn fiver, we are getting the Winegard Trav'ler SWM 3 for the roof. That way we can use our existing DirecTV receivers. Of course, we may hit some problems with trees, etc. I plan to bring the Tailgater along too. Unfortunately, the Tailgater only feeds one TV. I guess that's why the call it "roughing it". :)

MTPockets

Tailgater for 2 yrs now with no problems. Automatically finds satellites. Dish service packages from $30 to $200 .... You pick on-line and change as often as you want. No contract and can transfer from home to Tailgater with a phone call. Local channels as you travel with a phone call. It is light; as a matter of fact, so light ours blew over two times in high Texas winds. I then anchored it to a 2 x 12 board for ballast. Works fine and no more blow overs.

d_fergie

I saw both the X1 and X2 at CES in January, I want the X1 as it's smaller, I'm on the Western Arc (which it will only work with)... both are pretty light.

DandJochs

We have Dish tv at home so went with the tailgater, it only cost us an extra $7.00 a month on our account! We had no trouble at all with it!

pegmikef

Tailgater for 2 yrs now with no problems. Automatically finds satellites. Dish service packages from $30 to $200 .... You pick on-line and change as often as you want. No contract and can transfer from home to Tailgater with a phone call. Local channels as you travel with a phone call. It is light; as a matter of fact, so light ours blew over two times in high Texas winds. I then anchored it to a 2 x 12 board for ballast. Works fine and no more blow overs.

Ditto on the Tailgater. Have had mine almost three years, no problems either. Just minutes to set it up.

I replaced a KVH with the Pathway x1, roof mounted, a month ago and have been in twenty different states with excellent coverage. Moved over to Dish four years ago, and have not looked back.

AAdams

I also looked in to getting a Pathway x2 or tailgater system for Dish. From what I found the Pathway has to be with in 3 degrees of level to find all 3 satellites and work properly. The tailgater self adjusts for being off level. The pathway x2 can receive different programming to two tv's as long as they are on the same satellite, the tailgater can only receive one signal to one tv. The pathway x2 can receive east and west coast satellites and the tailgater can only receive the west coast arc. So if you plan on going up the eastern coast the pathway x2 is the only choice to receive eastern arc satellites.
I chose neither and went with regular dish that I aim. Takes longer but I sit for a month here and there and want to be able to watch different things on different tv's. I just have 2 receivers, one for the main tv and one that I'll move to the garage or outside. (Still have to figuring out the new rig's wiring in order to do this ). There is another draw back to the type I have too, it only receives the western arc satellites unless I change the LNB from a 1000.2 to a 1000.4 to get eastern arc sat's.

bpe

we have a tailgater and can't get several stations on it. Military is one. some hbos. Gets a weak signal and the weaker transponders won't come in.

mobilcastle

we have a tailgater and can't get several stations on it. Military is one. some hbos. Gets a weak signal and the weaker transponders won't come in.

Maybe their is something wrong with your unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boozecamp

I have the Pathway X2, I'm on the east coast. It will only get one satellite if you want to use two receivers. That satellite is 72. Local channels are ontheweatern arch. So if I want to have dish channels and locals, I can only set up one receiver. This sucks as it's not what the dish folks tell you when you buy it. It will mount on the ladder mount. But DO NOT travel with it up there. It will comecrashing down on interstate bumps.

Herm45

I recently purchased the pathway x2. I have yet to get two receivers to work. I have called both winegard and dish and cannot get any satisfaction. I too was told by Dish that I could only get local channels on 62.5 satellite but I could only get that signal when I tried to setup for one receiver. I tried to setup using 72 and still could not get two receivers to work. I bought the X2 because I wanted to run two tvs. I am three days out from returning to home base. When I get there, Winegard is getting the X2 back. I would rather have two tailgaters or use the old style antenna with two LNB's. At least they work!!!

Rodbuster

My Tailgater just went "Kaput". It's never been dropped or handled roughly. I actually baby it so I won't cause any damage. When we're done with it, I wipe it down and put it away in it's original container with the styrofoam.
We bought it about 2 years ago.
We called King Controls (the manufacturer) and they had us do several test. After finishing the test, the tech said that it was probably the satellite and that it would be quite expensive to repair (over $200.) We decided to replace it with a new Tailgater.

When it was working, it worked great.
"Stuff" happens.

Dick