Tankless Water Heater

We recently bought our first RV and it has a 10 gal. water heater. My husband wants to put in a tankless water heater. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand to get? Do they make such a thing as a dual tankless water heater that can work on either LP gas or electric when you don't want to use up your gas?

Thanks so much!

Donna and Larry Smith
2013 Heartland Bighorn 3260EL

danemayer

It might exist, but I've never heard of a tankless electric water heater. I'd guess you'd need quite a bit of amperage to run a tankless electric water heater.

We rarely use the propane side of our water heater. I'd rather pay for electricity than pay for propane AND fill tanks. And of course in many parks, electric usage is included in the price.

If the reason for looking into tankless is recovery time, try running your water heater on both electric and propane for faster recovery.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Although the electric on our site is metered, I still use it for the water heater rather than running on propane. I will occasionally fire it up just to be sure it works, though. I also put a few gallons of water in the fresh tank, even though we're always hooked to city water. Never know when there might be a power outage and you don't want to hike to the public facility in a storm.

DocFather

Atwood makes a tankless water heater to fit in the space already occupied by the original heater. The tech at Atwood, last summer, talked me out of it. It only raises water temperature 40° which means 60 degree water out of the ground makes for a cool shower.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I know RVs For Less sells the propane tankless water heaters and have been installing them on another brand. We haven't looked into it but if you call them (865-521-9112) or go on their website (http://www.rvsforless.net), they probably have info on it.

JBDB

Check these out for starters, Girard Products and PrecisionTemp RV-550 not cheap but this is the direction i would go on my next 5th wheel, no more tank units. Heartland should offer these as a upgrade, i've not seen it in the options list. I would also like to see hydronic in floor heat.