Tanks monitoring systems

hapjack

We are having trouble with our monitoring gauges. when tanks are empty they still read 1/4 to full. How is the best way to clean the sensors. hapjack #2083 Thank You:eek::eek:

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Tank gauges are notorious for not being accurate. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences. We regard the gauges at best as suggestions.

branson4020

Icantre Member
They will never work right. You will never be able to keep them clean. Put tape over the idiot lights and learn to estimate.

ccupton

I have found that if you put a bag of ice in your tank before you leave on your trip the ice will slide around in there and clean the tank and sensors up. Black tank only !!!!

aatauses

We have tried conventional cleaners you can get at Camping World---they worked for a few days and then ours usually read full. We decided ,with a little experiment/experience to empty the tanks every 3rd or 4th day---works great.
Currently in Apache Junction for the winter
al

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I never look at the useless gauges. When the black tank nears the end the toilet will burp a bit. That's when it gets drained. When I hear the shower gurgling I know that's the sign to empty that grey tank. And when my wife complains that the water wont go down in the kitchen sink, that's when it's time for that tank.
You will learn from experience when the time is right.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I have used Cookie's highly "scientific" method for years, there is no guess work involved and it never fails (as long as you can hear burping, gurgling, and DW conplaining. :)

Speedy

I have used Cookie's highly "scientific" method for years, there is no guess work involved and it never fails (as long as you can hear burping, gurgling, and DW conplaining. :)

My sensors don't work either and I hear a lot of burping, gurgling and complaining coming from the DW. :cool:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My experience has become when the black tank starts burping, all tanks get dumped. Only exception is to open the valve for Gray #1 if we're using the washing machine and I haven't dumped in a couple of days. My sensors will read "empty" at the beginning of the season, after they've dried over winter storage. Then they're useless after they see liquid again. I've looked at the SeaLevel system, and think it's probably great, but it's not a "gotta do" project.

Brandon.Prewitt

I agree the sensors don't work. If connected to sewer, why do you close the grey? Just to wash the line after dumping the black?

I left the grey closed and when it back filled the shower, the smell was horrible. Not worth it to me.

I close the greys before dumping the black and let the sink run. When the black is fully flushed I let the grey open again.