Teejay-----24RBS, wheel lug torque.

DavidB.

Hi Teejay,

Read in the tire rotation thread that you retorque the lug nuts, as it should be.

I have the mags on our 24 RBS.

For the life of me, I cannot find the correct torque settings.

Having asked 3 different dealers and getting 3 different answers, I thought
that you might know.

Thanks again,

DavidB.

lwmcguir

The torque that is to be applied to lug nuts on a typical aluminum trailer wheel varies with the size of the stems on your trailer. Common size stems on a trailer often are 1/2", 9/16" or 5/8". Below is a table to guide you as your are installing the wheels to your trailer application.
Lug SizeFT/LBS Torque
1/2"90-120
9/16"120-140
5/8"140-160

Attachments

• Lug Nut Torque.pdf
    81.7 KB · Views: 56

TeJay

David,
The information you've been given is accurate. Bolt torque is a function of bolt size, quality of steel, threads/inch & pitch, expected weight, lubrication on threads (if any) and probably many other factors. That being said use the chart you've been given on the previous message it will work. Also by torquing at 2-3 intervals it will assure that the nuts are not coming loose. If they are then you will re-torque them so they won't. It's not unusual to move several of the lug nuts each time you repeat the torque. After 2-3 times that will stop. Two other important aspects of this are : 1. They won't be so tight that you will have difficulty getting them off when and if you have to. 2. Even torque around the hub will assure even tension during heating and cooling. Variations in torque around a disc rotor hub will warp a rotor. When it cools the warp will become permanent which can result in pedal pulsations when breaks are applied.
Specific torques on anything mechanical is there for a reason. If a nut is to tight you exceed the elastic limit of the steel and reduce the clamping force. Too loose and it won't stay tight.
If you want a real eye opener regarding bolts look up, "torque to yield" bolts. These were adopted when the auto industry went to aluminum engines.

TeJay

DavidB.

Tejay and lwmcguir (thanks for the chart--excelent reference).

Both of you guys are great.

(Left torque wrench at home :eek::eek:, will borrow from another camper).

Merci encore,

DavidB.

DavidB.

Re: LWMCGUIR-----24RBS, wheel lug torque.

LWMCGUIR,

We are having computer issues and I cannot open pdf files. Arghhhhhh!!!!!:mad:

Would be kind enough to print/post the torque settings for:
1/2=
9/16=
5/8=

Thanks in advance,
DavidB.

jnbhobe

LWMCGUIR,

We are having computer issues and I cannot open pdf files. Arghhhhhh!!!!!:mad:

Would be kind enough to print/post the torque settings for:
1/2=90 to 120
9/16=120 to 140
5/8=140 to 160

Thanks in advance,
DavidB.

There ya go Dave

jpajax

Put some antizie or assembly compound on lugs and cut the torque setting back 10%. Save your lugs and your back when you try to get them off.

DavidB.

jnbhobe,

thank you very much for the info, will store it in another place.

jpajax,

good thimking re the antiseize, will apply......figureatively and realistically ;);):eek:.

This forum is a great place, a wealth of knowledgeable people.

A bientot,
DavidB.