Testing Infrared Remotes

wdk450

Gang:
This helpful hint applies to ANY infrared remote control you have, not just TV remotes. In fact, the problem I had was with an infrared remote for my XM Satellite Radio receiver that usually is in my truck. I had bought a replacement remote a few months ago, and recently it stopped working. A test of the batteries with my Radio Shack battery tester showed them to be good, and I rotated the batteries on their connectors to ensure a good connection. Anyways, it is impossible with the naked eye to see if an infrared signal is being produced by the remote.
Enter modern technology. I held the remote up to my turned on laptop camera (aimed at a dark wall behind me) and looked at the displayed picture of the remote as I pushed the buttons - no flashes from the remote's emitter LED. I then replaced the tested old "good" batteries with newly purchased batteries, and tried the laptop camera test again. Now I can see visible flashes from the remote control's LED on the computer display, and the remote works with the XM receiver.
The cameras in modern computers, cellphones and security monitors can see the remote control infrared signals that our human eyes cannot.

Garypowell

Thanks Bill I'll have to try that. We have a really old universal remote from Harmoney that we got from SAMs club about 6 - 7 years ago and love it. I know have it programmed for home and the RV so we take it with us. But sometimes it gives me fits.

jimtoo

Thanks Bill,

It does work. My DW has been fussing about not being able to stop a recorded program at times. Her button is not working. :) But I did need to aim the remote at the camera, could not see it on the wall, maybe not looking in right place.

Jim M

wdk450

Thanks Bill,

It does work. My DW has been fussing about not being able to stop a recorded program at times. Her button is not working. :) But I did need to aim the remote at the camera, could not see it on the wall, maybe not looking in right place.

Jim M

Jim:
You won't see the IR flashes on the wall, even if they are present. Our eyes don't detect the IR wavelengths like they do the visible light wavelengths - but the "chip" cameras" in modern electronic devices DO detect the IR wavelengths and display it on their video displays.

jimtoo

Jim:
You won't see the IR flashes on the wall, even if they are present. Our eyes don't detect the IR wavelengths like they do the visible light wavelengths - but the "chip" cameras" in modern electronic devices DO detect the IR wavelengths and display it on their video displays.

Yes,,you are correct,, but maybe I was just not holding my camera where it could see the IR light on the wall. When I pointed the control at the camera it was much easier for me.

Jim M

wdk450

Yes,,you are correct,, but maybe I was just not holding my camera where it could see the IR light on the wall. When I pointed the control at the camera it was much easier for me.

Jim M
Jim:
I think we are having communications issues. I used my laptop camera facing me as I type. Aim the remote at the computer/cellphone/camera lens; a dark background behind you helps bring out the flashes happening at the remote IR LED/lens.

jimtoo

Yep,,, you are correct,,, you did type LAPTOP,,,,:) I just skipped right over it. :) But,, I found out you can use a cell phone camera also,,, that's just in case you don't have a laptop... :)

I did call Directv to get them to send me another remote and while I was talking to the lady... girl..technician ,, I told her about using the camera to check for IR output and I don't think she believed me. But did say she would check it out.

Jim M

wdk450

Jim:
I had my main Dish Network remote getting flaky with the switch buttons sometimes not working. This happens a lot with remotes as they age and the conductive rubber on the bottom of the buttons does not make good contact with the circuit board contact pads. I looked into some repair/restore rubber switch chemicals, but found new remotes on E-Bay for less than the cost of the repair chemical. No brainer!!!