The 4" lights in the soffit over kitchen sink

Bob Vaughn

I just turned on the soffit lights over the kitchen sink and one of them did not come on. Could it be burned out already with only a few minutes of use? How do I replace the bulb? I stuck my fingernails under the edge and the whole fixture seems to come out of the soffit. Does the whole fixture need to be pulled out to check/change the bulb?:confused:

Bob Vaughn

OMG, I just went out to the camper to show my wife that one of the lights was not working and another one is now not working. Thats 2 of the 3 not working.....

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Bulbs not only burn out but they are susceptible to vibration. Our bedroom "personal lamps" over the headboard (never used) had broken filaments just from the delivery trip. Easily replaced at about $1.25 each. Seems like an inconvenience until I stopped to think it takes only a slight bump for a home bulb to go out. My RV is traveling down some pretty rough roads at 60 mph. I am surprised that more lights haven't gone bad!

buckeyebob

i had nine bulbs total burned out when i took delivery!!!!!my unit was inside display unit and all the lights were on all day,storage lights etc .no the dealer didnt replace any of them

2010augusta

I just turned on the soffit lights over the kitchen sink and one of them did not come on. Could it be burned out already with only a few minutes of use? How do I replace the bulb? I stuck my fingernails under the edge and the whole fixture seems to come out of the soffit. Does the whole fixture need to be pulled out to check/change the bulb?:confused:

To replace the bulbs, just unscrew the glass diffuser from the metal base, it is a bit tricky at first but it can be done.

2010augusta

okay step one, pull light fixture down a bit and grasp metal can.
DSCF1159 [800x600].jpg
then turn glass lens CCW about 1/8 turn
DSCF1158 [800x600].jpg
replace bulb, reverse to install.
DSCF1157 [800x600].jpg

This is best doen with the light turned off, but picture turn out better with lights on ;)

click picture to enlarge.

Bob Vaughn

Thanks, I pulled down on it like in the first photo but thought that was the wrong thing to do so I pushed it back up....I will go out now and pull the bulbs out and go get some new ones....Is this an auto type bulb ? Thanks again for the info...

2010augusta

the bulbs are 10W type G4 halogen bulbs, so DO NOT touch the new bulbs with your hands, use gloves or a clean towel to install the new bulbs

Bob Vaughn

OMG, I took the burned out bulb with me when I went to Wal-Mart this morning....I went to the lighting section and they had these bulbs but at 4.52 each....I bought 3 so I would have a spare.....we then had to go to Home Depot and Lowes so while there I checked their bulbs and they only had 120 volt bulbs no 12 volt ones...I hope these don't burn out very often....Now if I could just get the central vac to work.....