The Hassle Of Dealing With Heartlands Parts Dept

2010augusta

Hey not a bad idea. The manufacturer can "rate" a dealer (A through F) based on: 1. Number of "do over" repairs; 2. Customer satisfaction; 3. Turnaround (how quickly the repairs are made); 4. Accuracy of the repair; 5. Volume of service The consumer could then use these service ratings to determine if they would want their unit serviced by that dealer. Maybe the RVIA could get involved in rating service facilities. Not only could the RVIA rate them they could 'certify' not only the technicians but the whole service facility. The service facility could be inspected and held to certain "standards". All in favor of this idea, raise your hands.

I never thought of trying yo get RVIA involved, but I like it. I know car mechanics have the ASE (Automitive Service Excellence) certification, and their needs to be a similar certification of the dealers and service departments. I know it is a hard time for the RV industry, but maybe that would provide the manufacturers the leverage they need to wrangle the dealers and service shops under control.

The other point I was truing to make in my last post was: The only dealer in my area did not even know that Landmark was a Heartland product, much less their flagship luxuary coach. I think everyone would benifit if the dealers and sales-persons were made aware of the many different heartland trailer lines.

dmh5514

We just bought a Big Horn 3055 RL and just like anything else you buy there have been minor problems Does seem to take a long time to have things fixed. I do like the idea of calling Heartland to see if they have received the request. I did do that for the inflatable bed and there seemed to be a communication problem between dealer and heartland but could not decided what was what but it was taken care of. Just like any other company you have good and bad employees. Overall Heartland gets a high rating from us!

smday

Hey not a bad idea. The manufacturer can "rate" a dealer (A through F) based on: 1. Number of "do over" repairs; 2. Customer satisfaction; 3. Turnaround (how quickly the repairs are made); 4. Accuracy of the repair; 5. Volume of service The consumer could then use these service ratings to determine if they would want their unit serviced by that dealer. Maybe the RVIA could get involved in rating service facilities. Not only could the RVIA rate them they could 'certify' not only the technicians but the whole service facility. The service facility could be inspected and held to certain "standards". All in favor of this idea, raise your hands.

You have my hands raised. These dealers should be operating just like the automotive dealerships. Most trailers cost about the same as your car or truck, depreciate the same, and probably last the same amount time on the road as them. Automobiles have a 6 year 100000 mile warranty trailers are just 1 year. If your product is so superior they should stand behind them for longer periods of time and if a problem should arise all dealers should fix them without the BS because you didn't buy it from them. Everyone takes their trailers on travels away from the place you bought it. I for one can say i don't camp in my backyard to wait for a problem so i then can take it to my local dealer to get it fixed. I am usually somewhere in North America using my trailer for what i bought it for and if something should go wrong i shouldn't have to worry about taking it to a dealer and having them tell me take it back home to get it fixed.

we bought a 2010 north country tt in sept, on oct 16 took tt back to dealer to have new decals put on and new rubber roof. roof had bubbles and wrinkles .I have no problem with heartland they where great .The dealer is where my problem lies they told me heratland didnt send the rubber roof yet called hl they said roof was there at dealer called parts at dealer was told part was there will not be able to replace rubber roof till dec late dec. SO DONT TRUST DEALER. We where planning on going to Fla for a month I guess that wont happen.

PUG

Pug
Skip the dealer and go direct to the factory. I have had good luck that way but dealers are once they have your money.

sunflower

I asked the dealer about service and this is the reply.We service our customers first unless an emergency travel situation arises,if we can accommodate it without affecting your service we will.Servicing a unit not bought locally will be done when time permits.Units bought out of country and not a travel emergency will be serviced if they are CSA stickered from the factory and a deposit maybe required.There is a rumor going around in the industry that out of country,local licensed units will be surcharged prior to service.Some dealers are better then others.If I bought locally I don't want to see my unit sitting and waiting for someone that isn't an emergency.

geeksrus

Notice that I raised both hands!

Eh!

biggziff

I was looking at a 2011 Big Country at a dealership nearby in Fife, WA and they said that they WOULD service the Landmark eventhough they do not sell (or even know) that line. I am suprised at the lack of "product training" and the limited lines which the dealers carry. Maybe the next step for Heartland to up their "world class" customer service is to certify and rate the dealers, so their is so accountability on the dealers for their service.

Great idea that has been used with franchise auto dealers for years, but...I'm not thinking there is the same incentive for an RV dealer. If Heartland pulls the line from the dealer...well..the dealer can start selling one of the hundreds of other RV lines that are similar and to most consumers "the same as" any other. Heartland stands to lose more than the dealer and they know that otherwise they would hold the dealers accountable more than they do. Not saying this is good or bad, just pointing out another perspective.

DMitch

The fact is that marketing/sales people run most companies. When it comes to placing a million dollars worth of units on a dealer lot or kicking his butt over poor service, service will loose all the time.

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
The fact is that marketing/sales people run most companies. When it comes to placing a million dollars worth of units on a dealer lot or kicking his butt over poor service, service will loose all the time.

This is exactly what I was told by a VP at Fleetwood when I tried to get them to apply some pressure on a SoCal dealer to get my motorhome out of their service department where it had been 5 out of the 7 weeks we had owned it.

He said and I quote, "We won't tell them what to do because they sell so many units".

I was referred by Fleetwood to an independent shop a few blocks away who was able to repair my waranty issues in one day.

gpolac

I have called Hartlands Parts and found out my dealer was lying to me about parts for
my 2009 Landmark 5th wheel. This has happened a few times at Camping World.

2010augusta

Currently, I am trying to get heartland and Elkhart Tool and Die to address an issue with the entry steps. It has been several weeks, but I am willing to believe Heartland (for now) when they say that "they are waiting on a response from Elkhart T&D."

Update, I called Heartland on Friday for an update on the conversation, and was told the Elkhart T&D did not feel it was a manufacturing/engineering defect, Chris contacted them again with more information on the trailer and today (Monday) I get an email saying Elkhart T&D is now going to replace the steps. The only slow part of this process was waiting on the vendor to review pictures and other information, so again I feel Heartland provides a outstanding level of customer service, and works with vendors to extend this service. Thanks to all at Heartland.