The Real Big Campfire

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
About an hour ago I noticed a big fire about five miles away. Lots of smoke.
About twenty minutes ago the fire was closer. Our CG is down wind.
Fifteen minutes ago the Texas State Police were flying over giving the order to evacuate.
I never knew we could pack, hitch up and leave so fast.
As we pulled put the fire was twenty feet from the CG. Got put just in time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362176788647.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362176788647.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 254
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362176817147.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362176817147.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 241
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362176829810.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362176829810.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 234
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362176844961.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362176844961.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 244
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362176859243.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362176859243.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 239
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362176875552.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362176875552.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 235
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362176888066.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362176888066.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 250

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Looks as though a lot of others were not there to evacuate or not as quick as you!
Better safe than sorry, glad you got out in time.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dave, Glad you made it out. Hope everyone else is safe, as well. Trace

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, what a scary situation! Glad you got out in time. Are you going back at some point? I would really like to see the results.

TXTiger

Wow. I travel alone and it would be a challenge to pack up that quick. Glad you made it out safe

olcoon

OMG! Glad you guys got out in time! Looks like some folks might not have made it. Hope nobody got hurt! Keep us posted.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I read a news release that some houses burned but nothing was said about how close the fire was to the RV park. The fire was also getting close to the city lot where they store their fuel. Glad it all worked out and hope that no one was injured.

jbeletti

Had we still been there, the fire would have been within 50 feet of us or some, from the way Dave described the scene to me.

So happy Dave, Mary and Cody II are safe as well as all others in the CG.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The fire came within feet of getting into the CG. So no losses.
We are back in our spot.
Still some small fires on the ground and in the trees. FD is monitoring and standing by.

Peace
Dave

loafer

Hey Dave
Glad you and Mary are ok> Thats very scary. Was there anything to go back to around there?Just shows how fast things can go sideways.
Bill

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Wow Dave! That's amazing and we're very thankful that it turned out well for you guys!
We'll see you this summer at rallies and will want to hear all about it!

scottyb

Oh man, I'm glad to hear everything worked out OK. it's really getting bad here in Texas. We should never have this going on, at this time of year. All these dry cold fronts bring high north winds and lower the humidity. It's starting to look like 2011 all over again. We had the Pedernales fire going within 1/2 mi of my house the same day as the Bastrop fire started. There were 68 homes lost out here but pales in comparison to the 1600+ that were lost in Bastrop. I have my property cleaned of underbrush and mowed tight for at least the 5 ac that surronds the house.

rgwilliams69

Wish we could send some of our snow your way, that would douse the blazes. Another 6 inches plus here in Illinois again this week. Not sure on all the measurements but I think we are knocking back some of last year's drought. At least filling up the Mississippi again so that the barges can get through. Take care and be safe down there, those are some scary pictures...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We were told to evacuate an RV park near Longview, TX last year due to a nearby wildfire. We were warned about it about 3 hours before the actual evacuation order. We watched helicopters dropping water on it... I guess they could not contain it fast enough. At the time of the order, we were told to get out right away, so we had to leave the rig. I don't think the fire got that close to the park, though. We got the "all-clear" call about an hour later.

Glad you were able to take your coach and get out safely!

Erika