There is a nut under my floor (Solved)

dudkas

Good Day Folks. I have a 2020 Bighorn Traveller 32RS. I have had this RV since April and only used it 2 months. I have had a few challenging issues that seem to be now resolved. Now for the comedic ones and this one is either a butcher job or it could be quite simple.

There is a castellated nut under my flooring near the front of our island. I called Heartland and they suspect it was left there during assembly however with the warranty expired, its up to me to get it out. It was emphasised not to cut the flooring. I see a couple of options:

• Cut the floor and put I thin piece of decorative flooring down the length of the island,
  • try to lift the flooring from where it ends near the slide, this may stretch the floor,
  • leave it be and have many more nightmares about the nut that is under my floor.
Has anyone lifted the floor or had to deal with this type of quality issue?

Some pics are attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20231204_172410669.jpg
    PXL_20231204_172410669.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20231204_172414877.jpg
    PXL_20231204_172414877.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20231204_172447370.jpg
    PXL_20231204_172447370.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 53

rhodies1

Take out the island. Cut the flooring under the island . Lift up the flooring,,it’s not glued and pick out the nut. You can you a hair dryer to help the flooring lay backdown where the nut was located re install island

Bogie

If it were mine, i think I would make a slit along the edge of the nut and gently coax it out. Then lightly heat the spot up with a hair dryer as rhodies1 suggests. Then I would lay a heavy weight on the spot to flatten it down. After it cools, you can check to see how well it matches up.

I know the floor is not glued, but you can put a small dab of vinyl floor glue under the spot to hold it flat after the initial flattening mentioned above.

I didn't have your problem, but had to deal with a small 1/4" hole in my floor. I cut a piece of vinyl from a hidden area and used it as a patch. You would never find it unless I told you where to look.

dudkas

Thanks for the two responses. I like the ideas. I will check to see what it takes to remove the island and if that is too much, I will make the cut. I am sure I can find surplus in the closet or under the bed. I didn't think about the hair dryer to heat it up. Thank you.

dudkas

Well moving the island is out of the question. It is secured from the bottom of the RV and there is a subfloor in the island. No visible anchor points. I only hope the nut under the flooring is not a bad choice of an anchor point for something else. The FW tank is in that vicinity. :unsure:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well moving the island is out of the question. It is secured from the bottom of the RV and there is a subfloor in the island. No visible anchor points. I only hope the nut under the flooring is not a bad choice of an anchor point for something else. The FW tank is in that vicinity. :unsure:

Search repairing a tear in vinyl tile. There is a YouTube video that fits your problem with minimal effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

I would think about cutting the tile at the seam and remove the nut. Glue the flooring down under heavy weight.

dudkas

Well for those that read my last update that I have since deleted, there is an update. I cut the floor across the nut and realized its not a nut but a #3 screw head. A large one at that. I tightened the screw very tight. I heated the floor and used a bit of silicone under the flooring. I covered the floor with painters tape should a bit of Silicone seep through. I have a weight and wedge to push the flooring down until it sets.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I will sleep better.

Attachments

• PXL_20231210_195439723.jpg
    PXL_20231210_195439723.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Dahillbilly

Well for those that read my last update that I have since deleted, there is an update. I cut the floor across the nut and realized its not a nut but a #3 screw head. A large one at that. I tightened the screw very tight. I heated the floor and used a bit of silicone under the flooring. I covered the floor with painters tape should a bit of Silicone seep through. I have a weight and wedge to push the flooring down until it sets.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I will sleep better.
wondering what it's purpose is, hold something down or up from below.