Things to see and do around Elkhart?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Other than the Heartland tour, we don't have anything on our schedule to see around Elkhart. Suggestions?

Alice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Shipshewana flee market, RV Hall of Fame Museum and dont forget Heinies for prime rib.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

olcoon

Another good place to eat is the Blue Gate Restaurant in Shipshewana. There are a lot of Amish stores & shops, check out the Chamber of Commerce, there is a driving tour of the area & you can get a CD there that narrates the tour.

jimtoo

Take a close look at what you want to purchase at some of the "Amish" stores.... they are importing a lot of stuff from China and Japan and other places.

stevebotts

Take a stroll along the river from Bicentinneal Park and Island Park. There is a nice lake across the street from Elkhart Campground. Also the Pumpkinvie bike trail is wonderful for a day of biking. About 28 miles from Elkhart is a fabulous state park, Potato Creek. Wonderful biking, hiking and boating. Don't forget a trip to tour Notre Dame and the Football Hall of Fame. Also some nice city golf courses in the area.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
You guys are the best. I'm making a note of all of these.

What's at the RV Surplus? Sounds like that could be my kind of place. :)

Alice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gary521

For a great experience go to the Das Dutchman Essenhaus restaurant in Middlebury. It is Amish family style and I guarantee you will leave with a stuffed belly.
Heartland offers plant tours -take it.
In South Bend, take a tour at the Studabaker museum.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
The Old Bag factory in Goshen is full of artisan shops and a good restaurant. If you like RV surplus, D&D is out about six miles from the fairgrounds on the same road as the Fairgrounds. Amish farm, big old barn chock full of parts. We got some $40 retail light fixtures for $2, cabinet doors that match ours for $2 each and a bunch of small stuff. I think Ray made 3 trips out there.
I can't remember what road it's on, other than across the overpass from the Jameson Inn, but you have to have breakfast at the Golden Egg. Best scrambled eggs I've ever had. Good italian restaurant down the street from the Jameson too.

Wharton

We stopped at the tourist bureau(near Elkhart CG) and they have a tour of the area that is great. You get a CD and just follow along, prepare for wrong turns but that is part of the adventure. Found all sorts of neat places and learned some great facts. When you get to the popcorn store, buy some, this popcorn has ruined me for all other popcorn..................

dieselsweetheart

We did the drive up to Notre Dame. Lovely there with a beautiful chapel. About an hour or so drive. Then we went to the VW museum...I think it was a VW museum, I'm sure Truknutt will verify. The RV/MH and Blue Gate are included in the events with the rally. Next year we are planning on heading back and spending another 5 days or so touring in MI and Ohio.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We're in Elkhart! Drove around the downtown, walked by the river, and cruised by some corn pastures. Even stopped to say hello to some cows!

Today we're going to be looking for an RV supply store. Have a few things we'd like to get.

Need to find RV surplus's new location.

Oh, and I think we're taking the factory tour.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Finally found it. It's in the Kmart shopping center. No sign. And the phones aren't working. The store has a tall front facade with dark windows. Also, they're changing the name. RV Parts or something like that.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Did you find any good bargains to make it worth the hunt for the place?

Sadly, no. They had less than 1/4 of their inventory out. And we're looking for pretty basic stuff. But if I needed specialty bulbs or something like that, they'd be the place. Nice staff though. Tons of space in the new store.