Water Hose Freeze Prevention

JHalsell

We have our 2022 HL setup on our land and are having to use HD water hose about 180' from the spicket to RV.
(Frustratingly, we have a city water main 20' from the RV- ON OUR PROPERTY - but the water co. allowed a neighbor to hook up their home to this without our knowledge and won't even let us pay big bucks to have a new main installed...for an RV.)

It's going to be too much trouble to trench, connect to the spicket below ground, install a spicket out at the RV, etc. I'm thinking of wrapping/insulate the hose, then wrapping in thick pool noodles, wrapping again with insulation then burying under a few inches op soil. Of course, we'll have to do a LOT of protection on the spicket and RV water connection areas.

Heated hoses are not an option with the distance.

We live in AR, so usually not below 20* very often. Last year, it hit 0 with -20 wind chills.

Any suggestions, successes, failures?

Attachments

• rv water hose.jpg
    rv water hose.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 8

Dahillbilly

One option would be to box the hose inside of 2" pink/blue insulation. Using a skill saw cut two strips 1" for sides & 5" for top & bottom. This way you can use finish nails to hold together until you can tape it; this will give you a tunnel to place the hose into.
Could use PEX tubing instead of a hose also, that's what I have under ground here in northern WI for outside boiler connection never had a problem.
good luck

JHalsell

One option would be to box the hose inside of 2" pink/blue insulation. Using a skill saw cut two strips 1" for sides & 5" for top & bottom. This way you can use finish nails to hold together until you can tape it; this will give you a tunnel to place the hose into.
Could use PEX tubing instead of a hose also, that's what I have under ground here in northern WI for outside boiler connection never had a problem.
good luck
That sounds very smart....and do-able, huh Thank you!

wdk450

I am thinking most of the hours of each day should be above freezing. Hopefully you can use your hose connection at those times. You might disconnect your hose from your rig when freezing is expected and try to keep it running at the slowest stream to try to prevent freezing during the coldest times. Then reconnect to the trailer when above freezing. At those freezing times you would depend on the water in your freshwater tank and pump to keep you going.
At one time I was in a private RV park that had its well contaminated. We got the plastic 5 gallon fresh water containers (filled in town from clean sources) and kept them inside the trailer with a hand pump until the well was fixed. You can heat water on the stove and take sponge baths in the shower stall.