Those with Newer Bighorn Problems

Redrider007

Hi All,

I have my rig at the dealer for the second time for the Norcold-This time it is on the new unit that replaced the new one that never worked. My question to you all is about any other significant problems you have had with your Bighorns? Depending on the issue I may get a manufacturer's extended warranty on the refer but I really don't think spending $2000+ fpr a 5 year on the rig is worth it. I read a lot of stories of warranty issues not covered or the hassle of fighting with the insurance company. I'm thinking of just putting a RV fund away for future issues. I just hate the thought of getting a MSRP $90,000 rig and have to pay for insurance "just in case" something else breaks or the refer does every 6 months!!

MTPockets

The Norcold problem has nothing to do with being in a BigHorn. Each appliance carries its' own warranty. We did purchase an extended 5 yr warranty from Cornerstone and have been pleased with total replacement of our convection/microwave, two grey water valves, and an awning motor. So far, we've gotten our money back with a little over one year left on the warranty. Being full time, we felt it was a good value and had no problem getting immediate payment to a mobile tech.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you had an extended warranty and it paid off, sorry for your troubles, but good for you. We had one and never used it, so now we're "self warranteed." Our "real" insurance has taken care of theft and physical damages without hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The only aftermarket insurance policy I would buy is the Good Sams. Other than that a RV fund would be the way to go. BTW, it's Norcolds issue not HL's.

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

Most appliance manufacturers offer extended warranties on their products at a very reasonable rate. You could purchase an extended warranty on the A/C, refer, water heater and so on without having to go all out and get a third party extended warranty...Don

Redrider007

I understand that it is a Norcold issue and not a Heartland one. We have had the rig out 5 times since purchase and all other items work well so far. My only other complaint was the quoted 73 gallon fresh water capacity. I get 50 in the tank and 12 in the water heater so I'm 11 short. God knows how much comes out of the overflows when traveling but I'm guessing I end up with probably 45 in the tank by the time I reach my destination.

JohnDar

I understand that it is a Norcold issue and not a Heartland one. We have had the rig out 5 times since purchase and all other items work well so far. My only other complaint was the quoted 73 gallon fresh water capacity. I get 50 in the tank and 12 in the water heater so I'm 11 short. God knows how much comes out of the overflows when traveling but I'm guessing I end up with probably 45 in the tank by the time I reach my destination.

Sometimes the air vent line for the gravity feed gets filled with water in a low spot and will restrict how much water you can get into the tank before it backfeeds out the fill port. Take a piece of small diameter hose and use it to blow into the vent until you hear gurgling, then run water in the gravity feed port. Worked for my recalcitrant water tank.

If you're filling via an Anderson valve, forget what I said.

Mrsfish

Who quoted you that? Even the website shows 65 gallons. We love our 3010re, hope you get to love yours. I do agree about the overflow. Someone else on the forum added a shutoff doohickey at the end of the overflow tube to stop this while he traveled. Just remember to open it before use.

Redrider007

The 2015 Specs show 73 gals-I was told the position of the overflows can decrease capacity by 5-8 gallons or more like 10 in my case. I doubt if they changed anything for the 2016 models except for the numbers in the specs.

JohnDar

The older catalog I have says "Bighorn Typical Capacities" where it lists the tank sizes, et. al. It says 75 gallons of fresh water. Try calling HL with your VIN to see if they can tell you what they actually put in there.

B

BouseBill

On our 2015 Big Horn the fresh water tank will never show full. Come to find out the excellent HL installer installed the overflow valve BELOW the full probe. Yep :)
Just something we live with. :):)