thoughts on B & W companion hitch

oldfitter

I just took delivery of a new 3500 DWR Ram and I need a new hitch for at least 18000# for a Landmark Newport. B & W makes the companion hitch in a 25000 configuration for the Ram with the puck system. Does anyone have this and what are your likes and dislikes about it. I think it looks quite heavyduty and I like the idea of taking it out, put the pucks back in and you have a flat floor again. Also Reese makes a goose ball that goes in and out real easy already decided on that. It looks better than the Curt model.

tracks

I've used one with my BigHorn for three years with the MorRdye hitch and I would recommend it to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busted2341

The B&W just was very cheap. The first problem I had was after the install. The rails that went down are installed lengthwise with a welded stopper on the end facing the front of the bed. That weld failed within the first year when I felt the right side slide forward which actually bent the whole setup. Nightmare for shop to remove. The open close handle lasted less. Plastic handle broke on the third time I opened the hitch. This was 15 or so years ago but I would never use a product I have has problems with again....Just me. They might have improved but I personally will not use it....Research before buying though.....

BLHFUN

Thanks for the feed back, Mine is about a year old and it's been flawless. I'll admit it's the only 5vr hitch I've ever used, but so far it's been really good. The Quality is what I like about it. No plastic handles, easy to remove, Etc. I've been using the B&W turnover gooseneck for years and always had good luck with them. I understand the bad experience leave a bad taste for future purchases though.

bigdob24

I have the B&W Turnover Ball Hitch and love it.
Easy to remove and have your full truck bed
All made in the good old USA

GOTTOYS

I have a new B&W Patriot model hitch which uses the std bedrails. There is nothing about this hitch I don't like. Smooth welds, heavy powder coat finish, decals are on straight, smooth hitch and unhitch, quiet no slop and it's all American made not some Chinese import with an American name. Same mechanism as the Companion model. I replaced a Super-Glide with this one and the difference is significant. So much easier to use....Don

oldfitter

Thanks for the input everyone. I think that's the one I am going to get. In looking at there website and other sellers of B&W it looks pretty massive 200+ pounds and my Reese 16000# probably weighs 80#. Plus its made in the USA by workers paying into our system.

Jim-Lynn

I just took delivery of a new 3500 DWR Ram and I need a new hitch for at least 18000# for a Landmark Newport. B & W makes the companion hitch in a 25000 configuration for the Ram with the puck system. Does anyone have this and what are your likes and dislikes about it. I think it looks quite heavyduty and I like the idea of taking it out, put the pucks back in and you have a flat floor again. Also Reese makes a goose ball that goes in and out real easy already decided on that. It looks better than the Curt model.

I have a B & W & it is great. Previous hitch was a Rease, and it was over priced a and over rated, never again for those dollars. I tow a 4200 without an issue.

Jim
'

SeattleLion

We have the companion and love it. It is trouble free and designed to be secure. We got the fixed hitch even though B&W makes a slider. We have a short bed truck (F350). We've bumped the cab a couple of times and have a very minor dent. I am very happy with this hitch. Before deciding on it, I checked some other forums and it gets rave reviews. After using ours all last season, I can say we are totally satisfied.

scottyb

The B&W just was very cheap. The first problem I had was after the install. The rails that went down are installed lengthwise with a welded stopper on the end facing the front of the bed. That weld failed within the first year when I felt the right side slide forward which actually bent the whole setup. Nightmare for shop to remove. The open close handle lasted less. Plastic handle broke on the third time I opened the hitch. This was 15 or so years ago but I would never use a product I have has problems with again....Just me. They might have improved but I personally will not use it....Research before buying though.....

You must be talking about a completely different hitch than what they build today. There is no plastic anything on the turnover ball Companion or the OEM Companion. The locking jaws are secured by a steel arm and a spring pin. I had the turnover ball style in the Chevy and then the OEM Companion in the Ford. The OEM style could be removed or installed in about 2 min with no tools, leaving a clean bed surface. I pulled a 18K Cyclone 4100 for over 17K miles before I sold it. If I ever buy another 5th wheel, I will buy another B&W to pull it.

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 52

jdfishing

I'm close to ordering a Ram 3500 SRW to pull my Bighorn. It will be the first Ram I've ever owned. I really like their features and interior design. QUESTION: Did yours come with the 5th wheel prep package? Do you need an adapter of some sort to accommodate the hitch with the factory package? Are you restricted to certain Makes of hitches? I can't find a dealer that knows squat about this. Thanks and hope you enjoy your new Ram.

Bohemian

I'm close to ordering a Ram 3500 SRW to pull my Bighorn. It will be the first Ram I've ever owned. I really like their features and interior design. QUESTION: Did yours come with the 5th wheel prep package? Do you need an adapter of some sort to accommodate the hitch with the factory package? Are you restricted to certain Makes of hitches? I can't find a dealer that knows squat about this. Thanks and hope you enjoy your new Ram.

If one has the Ram 5th Wheel prep package, then one can use a hitch designed specifically for the Ram 5th wheel hitch pucks. This is one of the simplest ways to mount a hitch (Ford has an equivalent but different system, GM. no). This Ram specific hitch will not work with any truck that does not have the Ram 5th wheel prep package. No adapter is needed to mount a hitch designed for the Ram 5th wheel hitch package. Like B&W RVK 3600

HornedToad

I have had excellent experience with the B&W Hitch. However, I would hardly be qualified to make a recommendation because I've only owned two fifth wheel hitches and they were both B&W.

I sold my first B&W Patriot rail mount hitch with my two axle TH to a guy that bought a new Dodge with the puck system to tow it. Either he didn't want to go to the extra expense of a new puck mount hitch or they weren't available yet and he found a picture frame adapter (pictured at the bottom of the following link along with several options for the Dodge factory tow prep) that mounted in the puck system and was set up to accept most brands of rail style hitches. http://www.ramgunner.com/ram5thwheel

I got a Ford dually with the pucks and a B&W OEM Companion to tow the triple axle TH. It seems to me to be a very solid hitch. It takes me just a little longer than two minutes to remove because I back down on the TH rear door and walk it off the tailgate to store in the TH garage. I set it on a small wooden pallet so as not to tear the floor with the pucks. With the break apart design it is a one man job with no tools needed.

After having a tailgate stolen from in front of my house, I like that you can padlock the puck lever and run a cable lock through the removable head to secure the hitch.

Attachments

• Hitch.jpg
    Hitch.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 36
I have used B&W products for years. I have two B&W Companion set-ups. One for the standard B&W Turnover Ball and one for the Ford Puck System. I also have two B&W Biker Bars for securing my motorcycles. B&W Products are strong, high quality, America made products that I am glad to recommend.

Dennyha

I have the B&W companion hitch, with RAM puck system, in the bed of my 3500. It is the first fifth wheel hitch I've owned, but I have virtually no complaints. It is very heavy duty, comes out leaving a clean, flat floor in my bed. My only complaint is that I wish I could lower the head another inch or two. It has approximately 3 inches of adjustment up/down. I'm in the lowest setting, and I'd like to go down a little more. Quality of construction is very good.