thoughts on Big Horn 3685

rod_s

We have been researching the purchase of a new fifth wheel for months now including a trip to the Hershey, PA rv show. After looking at volumes of brochures and looking at endless web pages we came to a decision. The Bighorn 3685 RL became the choice of the lot. So off the dealer last Saturday DW and I went to continue our search for the ultimate rv in a more focused manner. All was well until the salesperson informed us that there had been a small change to the floor plan since the brochure was printed. It seems that the large window behind the television on the large slide was removed and a smaller window placed over the stove. Did anybody hear the pin drop? :( One of the top priorities on our list is to be able enjoy the view from both sides as well as the rear. My question is to current owners of the BH 3685, would this be a game changer for you or are we overthinking the whole thing.?

emm4273610re

What do you think of the new design? If the new is all you can get focus on that and what they now come with, new shades, couch and more. Ask yourself if I didn't see the old design do I like the new? A friend of mine was disappointed with the design change too, however I believe he liked the coach after he saw the new floor plan. Have an open mind.

yport

WOW - a question dear to my heart rod_s.

We too did the same intensive search you did looking at beaucoup makes/models. After literally a 12 month search (we liked what we had and weren't in a hurry) we almost decided upon the Big Horn 3585RL ... it was a close ... but then we saw a 3685RL this past May and fell in love with the idea of the power up/down TV (which we never watch anyway during the day) and that large open window effect. We ordered it in early June. Literally, on the assembly line our dealer called to say his factory rep said there will be some changes in the new 2014's. The wood will change to Chestnut (no idea what that's going to look like now), the windows will be changed to match the frameless windows of the Landmark (sweet, we LOVED that upgrade), and the window shades will be changed getting rid of the day/nite shades and replacing with the newer roller shades the Landmark has (sweet, we Love that upgrade and no additional charge to us, as new orders are a "forced" $1100 option.)

So far we are greatly pleased - small changes are always going to happen and these were for the better to us - and we assume we'll like the new chestnut color tones of the wood. Well - the new coach arrives at our dealer and they are shocked as they know we wanted the floorplan we saw and ordered ... and they were not told of a major change like that. They sent us a picture of it .... and we were heartbroken and so upset we didn't sleep that nite. Well - I can tell you - it has been 2 months (we haven't taken a maiden voyage in it yet...Florida bound in 2 months) - but time has healed the wounds and disappointment. All that said - it is a beautiful coach. We ordered it with EVERY option except the generator. The partial paint version is incredible, the frameless windows are awesome ... you'll love the roller shades ... and we are delighted that they also upgraded the kitchen counter to include matching stove covers like the Landmarks had.

I have already experienced incredible personal service from the Big Horn / Landmark General Manager ... who by the way apologized that the ball got dropped in communicating the TV / window floorplan change out to my dealer. My brother in law and sister have a Mobile Suites with the power up / down window ... and say they end up leaving the TV up most of the time or that window shade drawn as you only looking at the front of your neighbors rig anyway. If you need another advantage, your TV now goes from a 42" to a 46".

There are so many things right about this coach (and by the way, if you can swing it, I would definitely add the 6 point leveling system) and the Heartland customer service is awesome, I think you will be happy with it. We did decide to change out the king bed (which we had in our last coach) for the queen to gain more walking around room in the bedroom ... and glad we did that. Are we still disappointed? At this point gotta still say yes .... are we happy with what we got .... gotta say yes !!

K

karykatz

Thanks for all the input. New design is going over very well with sofa in the rear and larger TV. Hope we can earn your business!!!

MD Buck

Got our 3685RL in May and we full-time and so far love it. We too were a little disappointed in the window not being behind the tv, but have gotten used to it. We have made a couple suggestions today that would help our situation a little and one that would probably help everyone. We found the bedroom closet doors to be just a little too close to the rail and this won't let the doors slide by without hitting clothing on a hanger. Otherwise, love it, especially the couch in the back.