through canada to Alaska. Specific questions:

GregP

Interesting how this thread has moved from firearms to liquor transport. I have always felt that guns and alcohol were not a good mix. Just me I guess.

I am an Alaskan that travels through Canada twice a year, always with firearms. You can carry rifles and shotguns, semi-auto and or pistol calibers provided you do the paperwork through the CFC, Canadian Firearms Commisiom division of RCMP. The regulations can be downloaded on their web site. The general types of classifications are "prohibited", "restricted", and permitted or acceptable.
Generally military style rifles in military calibers are prohibited. It is possible to get permission to transport for competition or in transit with handguns, but as far as I know you must obtain a "possession and aquisation" lic. Which requires a class taught by the CFC instructors and pay the fees.
To cross the border with general rifles and shotguns the fee is $25.00, which is good for 60 days. The paperwork must be on 8.5x14 or legal size to get all of the required info on the single sheet.
You can use a photo ID on the dorms, but the passport seems to be the best as you will need that anyway.
If you have ever had a DUI, or drunk driving conviction, you will be denied entrance into Canada. It is a felony in Canada and you must have that cleared by the RCMP

There are restrictions on the number of rounds total, approximately 330 without paying a duty. I do not know what the duty is. There specific limits on reloading components such as primers, caps, gun powder including black powder, and loaded rounds.
the only problems with items transported like whiskey & beer in larger quantities probably have to do with duty and or possible illegal sales. Open containers in the vehicle are pretty much the same as in the states, illegal.
To transport prohibited firearms you must go through an FFL dealer on both ends. Arctic Ammo in the Palmer/Wasilla is reasonable and Boondocks Sporting Goods in Eagle River Ak will usually do the paperwork. They all must charge for the time and risk involved logging in your firearms and you will more than likely need at least a drivers lic. From Alaska to pick up your shipped guns. I wanted to,ship some of my handguns down south but legally I can't pick them up as a non resident! You can transport hand guns and long guns on the airplane, seperate the ammo, and declare it to firearms inspectors prior to your flight.
If it is summertime on the ferry system you can sleep out on the rear upper deck in chairs or pitch a tent, but if you get off in Haines Or another road connected port, make sure you won't have to cross the border again.
You can carry "bear spray", but not "self defense" spray. Might be the same stuff, but they will confiscate it. Remember that your firearms are NOT for bear protection or self defense. That is frowned upon in Canada. I have found it tougher sometimes to get through the US side of the border rather than the Canadian Border officers.
The agencies are different like RCMP, CFC, And border officers.
With your animals you only need a rabies cert now, but I am not sure about horses. Probably a health cert within the 30 days of entry.
Be patient, polite, have your IDs and proper papers and things will go smooth and uneventful.

RTSNFL

When I was stationed up there a life time ago Muldoon Guns in Anchorage is who I used to ship my pistols to and from. They are outside the Air Base Gate If you choose to go that route.

itinerants

Just putting my two cents worth on Canadian border crossing. A number of years ago I would regularly cross the border with my pistols to attend Canadian IPSC matches. I found being a Washington resident, once you knew the routine it was pretty straightforward. Now this was a number of years ago, so things may have changed. I first would call the local RCMP where the match was to be held and supply them with each firearm info I intended to cross. They would mail me paperwork that when presented at the border, would allow me entry with my firearms to be used for the event.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk