through canada to Alaska. Specific questions:

aviator41

My family are all competitive shooters and will be shooting matches as we make our way from OK to AK. In fact, our route will be built around match availability.

Crossing into Canada with a bunch of pistols is a no-no from what I gather so does this mean I have to ship all of our pistols? I seem to remember a way to be able to carry them with us with special paperwork but I can't find a link to anything regarding it.

Before anyone says "don't mess with paperwork, just ship them!" - I'm not really fond of putting $30,000 worth of pistols in the mail. I'd much rather carry them with us if possible. Even if it means a little bit more time at the border.

Same should be asked about Semi-auto rifles. is there ANY way to transport them through canada? What about semi-auto shotguns?

And finally, we have a number of lever action rifles that are pistol caliber (again, they're competition). Does being a pistol caliber firearm mean they're going to cause trouble as well?

Thanks all. I did read through the previous thread about this, but things got heated in the discussion and after about page 3, there was no good information to be gleaned.

So my question isn't about the morals of carrying, or needing to protect my family. It's not about bear spray or trying to trick or lie to the border agents. What I really need to know is whether or not transporting these firearms can be done at all.

After typing all this out, I'm thinking that I need to contact Canada Customs and border protection.

mlpeloquin

If you ever go through Massachusetts, make sure you have the requirements to the bone. There is one hunter driving through that got stopped by law enforcement. He is doing a few years in prison because he was transporting his hunting rifles through the state in the trunk of his car. The law there is stupid, and does not have common sense. In Nevada, unloaded and in the trunk is ok. Disassembled without ammunition in the glove compartment is ok as well.

aviator41

If you ever go through Massachusetts, make sure you have the requirements to the bone. There is one hunter driving through that got stopped by law enforcement. He is doing a few years in prison because he was transporting his hunting rifles through the state in the trunk of his car. The law there is stupid, and does not have common sense. In Nevada, unloaded and in the trunk is ok. Disassembled without ammunition in the glove compartment is ok as well.

Luckily for me, neither of those states are on the list of those that will be crossed on our way to Alaska. Of the states we are crossing, none will give us any trouble.

olcoon

One possibility would be to bypass Canada. If I'm not mistaken (and I probably am!) you can go to (I think) Washington state, and get on a ferry & take it to Alaska. But there may be regulations about carrying firearms on a sea going vessel, and I'm sure it will be very expensive. They charge by the foot, and that would include your coach & tow vehicle. Plus I'm thinking they also charge for each passenger. From what I remember reading, they also will not allow you to stay in your rig while enroute, so that will probably mean you'll have to have berthing, plus meals. I understand your not wanting to trust your prized possessions to USPS, UPS, or FEDX, but that will probably be the best & cheapest way. Also I'm "thinking" they will allow semi-auto long guns across the border, as they allow hunters to take their rifles & shotguns up there. That is possibly they won't allow what is now being labeled "assault type weapons" across the border. In any case it's always best to get it "from the horse's mouth" rather than relying on someone who may not really know what they are talking about...like me!

chiefneon

Howdy!

Would you consider leaving them behind. When we went to Alaska I found a Gun Smith in Montana that I left all my firearms with. Only problem is you have to come and go from the same place to pick everything up.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

GregP

Aviator41. I am a retired Canadian Police Officer. Your final line in the original post is probably the best advice you will get. Canadian law permits certain types of firearms (restricted) and bans others (prohibited). The definition of restricted or prohibited can be due to action type, barrel length, magazine capacity, etc. Your best bet would be to contact the Canada Border Services Agency and deal directly with them. If you provide them with a list of firearms that you intend to transport through Canada, they may be able to advise if any of them would fall into the prohibited category. Being prohibited in Canada might result in the immediate seizure of the forearm at the border point of entry. You didn't say when you were crossing into Canada, or where, but you might want to try to contact the CBSA at your anticipated point of entry. Also, there may be restrictions on ammunition quantities that you can transport, so you would want to ask about that. Sorry I can't be more specific about what you can and can't bring, but in the end...sometimes you might be at the discretion of the individual officer processing your entry into the country. You wouldn't think this should be the case; but unfortunately it is. Better to be prepared in advance than to try to cross with weapons and depend on the knowledge base of the staff on duty at the time.

Good advice from GregP. Some pistols would be allowable with the right paperwork. However, You should also be aware that mags that hold more than 10 rounds are prohibited in Canada. You may want to consider mailing those.

GregP

Further to my previous post. You should also ask about the return trip through Canada from Alaska back to the lower 48. You will be entering Canada at a different entry point and have to go through the whole thing again (I think).

aviator41

Thanks for all the great replies, I'm sure learning a lot. Looks like I'm pegging the "trip complexity meter" with this trip.

As far as leaving the behind... this is going to be a one way venture so thats not really a possbility.

I did check the ferry for regs and pricing. after I picked my jaw up off the floor, I crossed that idea off the list!

So I'm now looking into finding an FFL in Anchorage that we can ship pistols and rifles to so that they are there when we arrive. We are going to try and shoot as many matches as we can right up to the border, then crate them and ship. the only items that we will carry through canada will be the high-end shotguns and lever actions. everything else will be shipped.

Squirlee

Anything you bring to the border that is considered prohibited in Canada will be seized. There is nothing in the regs to allow you to bring them through unfortunately.

I know it sucks but I would strongly recommend using a courier with chain of signature service and tracking to get them there instead of carrying them.

Squirlee

I think the point is wouldn't it be nice for me to have the ability to just grab my property and not have to worry about this law, and that regulation, and this border and .....

My guns have never hurt anyone and never will. But I am the one that has to jump through hoops.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Can I piggy back on this thread, re: alcohol? Here's what I'm seeing:

U.S. citizens crossing the border into Canada to visit are allowed to bring the following item quantities into Canada duty free: 1.5 liters of wine, or 1.14 liters (40 ounces) of liquor, or 24 cans or bottles of beer.

All are "or". So does that mean we can take in 24 cans of beer, but not 24 cans of beer and 36 ounces of liquor?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
When I researched this I took it as "or" only. But when we actually crossed the border we had some beer (less than a case) and some wine (more than a bottle). When asked if we had any alcohol, I said "yes there's some beer and wine in the fridge". I did not disclose how much nor was I asked. Probably going to depend on the officer.
We crossed the border 3 times on our Alaska trip and only 1 officer asked...first entry ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geodude

Each person of legal age gets one bottle OR a case of 24 beer. In my experience, and those of my friends on both sides of the border, the Canadian side is fussy about those limits, the US side not as much.