Tight Turn Technology - RV contacted truck cab

padre44

Bought a new 3570 Big Horn last summer. Sticker on front says "Tight Turn Technology." Recently noticed small dents on rear of truck cab (2016 F250 short bed) on each side of rear window where it appears that the trailer has pushed against the cab when turning sharply. Hitch seems to be placed properly with pin exactly over rear axle. I didn't think I had to worry about this.

Rollin_Free

Re: tight turn technology

I think the maximum amount you can turn is 88 degrees with the modified front caps on Heartland 5th wheels. I never had an issue with my 6'6" bed on the Tundra or the 2500 Duramax but I also didn't need to get in or out of super tight spots either.

What model tow vehicle are you using?

jbeletti

Re: tight turn technology

Per the marketing information, 88 degrees is the maximum safe turn with a short bed truck (and a properly placed, non-slider hitch).

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are making a tight turn on uneven ground and the trailer or truck sway side to side that will cause the trailer to make contact with the truck.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
What you need is a slider hitch:

TruckRubberMat-P1010995.jpg

This allows the trailer to slide back 11-inches for those super tight turns.

Dean-Pam

When I bought my 5er, I was told I didn't need a slider for my GMC 2500 SB, however I went with the PullRite Slider (automatic) so I didn't have to remember to pull pins and then remember to manually normal up the hitch for standard towing. Due to our narrow street in our neighborhood, I have to jack-knife the trailer each time I back it into the house. I was ridiculed for spending the money on the expensive hitch, but I never hit my cab with the trailer.

Several members have updated their tow vehicle to 8 foot bed trucks and are selling their Pullrite slider's and you can get a good deal on a used one IMHO.

Sorry you have the dents on your cab.

Todster

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are making a tight turn on uneven ground and the trailer or truck sway side to side that will cause the trailer to make contact with the truck.

Peace
Dave

This is pretty much it. The 88 degrees are in a perfect world where the streets and all transitions are 100% level and flat. Think about when you enter a fuel station and the front end first goes in the driveway entry, then the back tires. Get out and look to see how close the rig is between these two.

24k Reese Pullrite and haven't had a problem yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

What you need is a slider hitch:

This allows the trailer to slide back 11-inches for those super tight turns.

Slider hitches are great, but what I found better for me was the Reese Airborne Sidewinder.

Basically the pivot point is moved back 21". So you get the goodness of a slider hitch, without EVER having to remember to engage the slide before you actually need it.

Why not have the best of both worlds?

Capture.jpg

Link to video

Rollin_Free

Bought a new 3570 Big Horn last summer. Sticker on front says "Tight Turn Technology." Recently noticed small dents on rear of truck cab (2016 F250 short bed) on each side of rear window where it appears that the trailer has pushed against the cab when turning sharply. Hitch seems to be placed properly with pin exactly over rear axle. I didn't think I had to worry about this.

Any pictures of the dents would help. You never mentioned what type hitch you are using. Clarification of what you have would really help with member responses.

Swinger type hitches would solve a lot however they must be used with rail or puck mounted 5th wheel hitches.

porthole

Retired
Slider hitches are great, but what I found better for me was the Reese Airborne Sidewinder.

Basically the pivot point is moved back 21". So you get the goodness of a slider hitch, without EVER having to remember to engage the slide before you actually need it.

Why not have the best of both worlds?

View attachment 49149

Link to video

Withthispinbox

With this pinbox, how far off of 'straight in' can you be?

Can you hitch up say 60 degrees off of straight?

Consider yourself lucky, most that find out they have a clearance issue find out when the rear window shatters.

Oregon_Camper

Withthispinbox

With this pinbox, how far off of 'straight in' can you be?

Can you hitch up say 60 degrees off of straight?

Sure...no problem. Just have to approach with the truck at the same angle you disconnected. Of you can move the king pin to a different angle if you need to.

In two years, I don't think I've ever had to park/disconnect outside of 10-15 degrees from straight. Now, I have been at 90 degrees (with my prior F-350 shortbed) and it was no problem)

Have a brand new 2017 F-350 SWB/SRW, less than 700 miles... Bought a new Cyclone 4250... on the way home pulled into the gas station and while pulling around that pumps at about 60º the right front RV corner is bending my rear window post and shattering my rear window... Not impressed with TTT....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, sorry to hear about the damage to your new truck.
But I gotta say that something does not sound right to me. 60° should not make contact with your truck.
So I would would question if the hitch was installed properly, wrong pin box or if your trailer was swaying one way and your truck the other when that happened. I have heard of contact if on non level surfaces but usually if at near 90°.
If you find out why you made contact if due to one of the mentioned possible causes please let us know what may have been found.

Peace
Dave

CDN

B and B
I just dropped off my Rockwood with the revolution today. I have gotten real close with the Rockwood. I have thought about a sidewinder for the Bighorn. Does anyone know if the frame can handle a Sidewinder? My dealer has one ready to go if I decide.

I would imagine this 88 degree limit is fine for most, with a TT we had a lot less. Now has anyone made a audible alarm proximity sensor?

Last edited:

CDN

B and B
Have a brand new 2017 F-350 SWB/SRW, less than 700 miles... Bought a new Cyclone 4250... on the way home pulled into the gas station and while pulling around that pumps at about 60º the right front RV corner is bending my rear window post and shattering my rear window... Not impressed with TTT....

The Cyclone is 8 ft 5 Inches wide. I am not 100% sure but 88 degrees would not be possible with a trailer that 5 inches wider than a regular Bighorn or other 8 ft wide trailer.

avvidclif

Mine is 102" wide, that's 8 1/2'. I can go almost 90 degrees, probably abt 80+ is the most I've tried. I have a 6.5' bed and do not have a slider. I have had to watch it but as long as the turn is level I'm OK.

CDN

B and B
Good to hear. I am thinking the level aspect of the trailer and truck may have been part of the issue. I don't want a slider or a Sidewinder unless necessary. Thank you for your feedback.

UPDATE.

Dealer has a Sidewinder in stock and I am going with this. I have purchased this. We travel in provincial parks often with forested site and varying ground levels.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired

Just a guess, but if your truck doesn't have air bags you are at a disadvantage before you even start the truck.

Is the trailer level? Is the truck Level? If the truck is anything less then level loaded you already decrease your turning angle.
The Cyclone is 2.5" wider on each side of the pin, and that will decrease your angle.
Those 88 degree turning decals have been universal for all of the 5th wheels with nothing ever said if it also included the wider Cyclones.

So if the 88 is made for the Cyclone that would mean the rest of the trailers have more then 88
If the 88 is made for the regular line, like Bighorns, then that would mean the 88 is 'short' for the toy haulers.

This link has some pictures I took of our Cyclone at 90 degrees with my short bed GMC and a Pullrite Superglide.

Note in the pictures in the link that the Superglide has rotated and moved back - 14" from the drive position

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...itch?highlight=superglide+and+90+degree+tunrs

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
The tight turn technology does not give you an excuse to not pay attention to how close the corner of your rig is to the cab. If you want to be able to make a tight turn and not pay attention to that get a long bed.