Time for some new blood (moderators) around here?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeletti

Re: Time for some new blood around here?????

There are a hundred RV forums out there. Many are manufacturer-specific but few of them are manufacturer-owned as this one has been since March 2008 when I transferred license of it to Heartland upon my employment with them. Even before that, since October 2004 when I launched the site, we had rules the we moderated to.

While it would be nice if Heartland built perfect products and all we had to chat about here was sunshine and roses, the reality is that the product is imperfect. As are the roads, campground power systems, product owners etc. Stuff happens. It's how we communicate our RV issues on this forum that makes this community strong.

Ideally, with regard to posting on this forum about "issues" with one's RV, what I'm looking for here is for the owner to come here to look for help/solutions. There are just so many other places online owners can use as their personal soap box. Thousands of owners have come here looking for and have received great advice on how to do this or how to fix that. That's the goal. And sure, some of those new forum users came on a bit strong in the beginning and it was hard for any reader to know whether this was just a "hit and run" rant/anti-Heartland campaign of if they were looking for ideas/help/solutions. And most of them were in fact looking for help. And we (the collective we users here) smothered them with kindness, help/solutions. And they applied what they learned and got the issue resolved.

But honestly - some people do sign up on this forum each week to use it as their personal soap box to complain about their RV, their dealer etc. That is not what this forum is here for. Sure, there are ways we can share our RV and dealer experiences here in a way that's not a complete attack, but at the end of the day, this is Heartland's forum. And we are all here as users of their space. As users, we've agreed to conduct ourselves in a certain manner. When we don't toe-that-line, the moderators, under my direction do their best to keep things civil. We truly do try to work with users who's posts we feel need to be edited or deleted. Some take it in the spirit we meant and others take it as an affront. What some users forget are two things. They agreed to a certain set of rules when signing up and this is not a space owned by them to use as they see fit.

With all this said, I know that it's impossible to have an online community that is a perfect fit for everyone. This is precisely why there are so many options out there. We have our rules, other forums have theirs.

I know this doesn't resolve any of the points brought up in the various posts before this one, but I felt it important to add a bit more context around why this forum exists and by extension, what it is not.

justafordguy

OK, I see the difference in clearance now (sorry, I got old eyes). It does look a lot lower than the web site picture. So what's the fix, more arched springs, longer spring hangers?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Thanks Jim . . .

But I think it is a possible scenario that those in charge should look at those in charge!

Hiding definate issues is not a good thing . . .

If Heartland doesn't want to stand behind their product, then WHY SHOULD I WANT TO PURCHASE ANOTHER HEARTLAND PRODUCT WHEN THE TIME COMES?????

I'm 54 years old and will probabably make at least one more RV purchase before I am gone . . .

Next time I will make sure that the brand I choose will not have any warranty issues . . . unlike the Heartland I bought 2 1/2 years ago!

B

BouseBill

Do a spring over job on it?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Part of the issue I have is the posting of the same pics over and over again and rehashing the same things. I not a mod but possibly this what they may be seeing too??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Part of the issue I have is the posting of the same pics over and over again and rehashing the same things. I not a mod but possibly this what they may be seeing too??

Doesn't mean that the MODS know what they are talking about . . .

Chances are . . .THEY DON'T!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: Tail of The Dragon US 129

Cop out!

You are a moderator . . . do you have any culpability to serve your position?

Find out what is really going on . . .

After all . . . you are supposed to be a Forum Moderator!

Kinda rude don't Ya think? Dan was attempting to give you an answer and I guess you don't like it so you call him out? Wow.

HornedToad

I've never had a post deleted, but have probably put up a few that should have been.

I've visited sites were the moderator bites a newbie's head off for not searching a question that may have been answered on their forum a year ago.

I've been a member of my SOB forum for over a year now and can only recall just a few post by the moderators there.

I think this forums moderators do a great job of adding to a thread without being intrusive.

This forum is my primary source of information about my RV.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Moderators, I think parts of this needs to be moved over to the other thread started by JohnD "Time for some new blood....". The lead thread states it as "Tail of the Dragons US 129" and anyone who opens the last 5-6 posting to see more info on the Dragon and reads this rant and rave will get real frustrated. I for one like to read all I can about the Dragon and this is just wrong.

Nabo

I agree HornedToad. Well said.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
I think the moderators do an awesome job in monitoring the forum. As Jim stated there are guidelines to follow and I have seen them post why the post needs to be closed or moved. It is a thankless job and they do it well.

jbeletti

Moderators, I think parts of this needs to be moved over to the other thread started by JohnD "Time for some new blood....". The lead thread states it as "Tail of the Dragons US 129" and anyone who opens the last 5-6 posting to see more info on the Dragon and reads this rant and rave will get real frustrated. I for one like to read all I can about the Dragon and this is just wrong.

Done deal.

avvidclif

Well, I posted images of my Heartland Trail Runner the day I bought it, which showed that my trailer was surely defective the day I bought it . . . and the post was deleted within minutes of when it was posted.

What does that tell you?

Those are 2 different models of trailer, tire spacing may not be the same. Invalid comparison.

I ask again, did you ever weigh your trailer? It seems you have been pulling it thru 6 states for over 2 years and on the last trip had a problem. Pictures of the springs show overloaded trailer.

RoadJunkie

If one examines the content of the OP's threads, I believe they are less about the moderators than they are about a feeling of being ignored about problems with a Heartland product. The primary approach of posting the issues, and a failure to achieve satisfaction, only leaves alternate methods to gain access to the ears of Heartland; A work-around, if you will. At some point, we have all likely felt frustrated by product failure and sought support under a warranty agreement. A factory jury, of sorts, passes judgement on whether or not (in their opinion) the "defect" meets the terms of a warranty agreement. And, by the way, the warranty agreement is something we sign up for when we lay down our money. It is rough, and sometimes expensive, when the jury passes down a decision that does not favor us. We all react differently to the bad news. Moderating is a thankless job, at times, and clearly the majority on this forum feel appreciative for their involvement. A different moderator would simply be a different human and subject to the same imperfections. I do not wish to impute the OP's thread, but maybe we might refocus on the main issue.

JohnD

Sorry to stir up a hornets nest . . . but . . .

It seems that nowadaze that any time someone has a problem with a Heartland product and they post it here that the moderators hide or delete the thread and it goes into Neverland?

Perhaps it is time to get some new blood to moderate the topic threads around here?

After all . . . isn't the whole idea of the forums to allow Heartland owners to announce their issues with their product?

Or is this a place to only post praise?

Please let those of us who have spent countless thousands of dollars know . . .

I love my Heartland product, but I don't like the fact that some here like to squash our issues with our Heartland product!

Heartland is not perfect . . . as am I not perfect!

Will I buy Heartland next time around?

Maybe . . . or maybe not!

But any company that only allows praise is not available for scrutany!

Enough said . . .

JohnD

OK . . . it is painfully obvious that this topic thread has struck many cords, and it seems has been merged with another topic thread that is not related to the original nature of the topic, but in reality, it can't be ignored!

Heartland . . . when your customers has issues . . . don't blow them off!

After all . . . we will be buying new RV's in the future, and if you want us as future customers, it seems that you would want to take care of us in the past when we chose you the first time!

pegmikef

IMHO, I think the OP may be mixing up this forum with Heartland Customer Service or maybe Management folks. I really don't see where moderators, who do a great job BTW, fit into customer satisfaction. Their job is pretty well defined in their title and as far as I know they have nothing to do with Heartland management or customer service decisions.

Nabo

John - I thought you said "enough said" and still you are ranting. We understand that you feel frustrated but .....

Status
Not open for further replies.