Tire advice

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey all,

I need some advice. We bought 5 new Maxxis tires last year (right at $1K). Yesterday, we discovered a screw in the tread of one of our tires. I took it in to the tire shop, and they told me it was in a "non-repairable" part of the tire. They said they could patch it, but did not recommend the tire be put back in full service, and instead be delegated to the spare. The service writer (who I have never seen in there before) also told me they no longer offer "road hazard" on trailer tires.

Upon going back home, I dug out our paperwork from the purchase, which mentions "free flat repair" on the invoice, and the back is the standard "road hazard" verbiage, with replacement up to 1 year or 12K miles, with no restrictions mentioned for trailer tires. My tires were purchased Aug 31, 2011. Shouldn't I get a new tire??? I plan to call the owner tomorrow, and find out the real scoop. What do you think?

photo (4).jpg
See bubbling around the screw head.

Erika

GOTTOYS

Yes, if they can't repair it you should get a new tire. You paid for a road hazard warranty whether it was separate or included in the overall price. I got a screw in the tread on one of mine and Discount put a plug/patch in it. I have several thousand miles on it since..Don

TravelTiger

They did repair it, but claim it shouldn't be in regular service. I'm sorry, what is the point of having a practically new tire you can't feel safe to use?

TravelTiger

It is a "Tire Pros" franchise. They have been rated "Best Tire Shop" in town. We've been doing business with them for about 4 years.

jnbhobe

If I didn't have road hazard coverage I would move that tire to the spare. By todays standards that screw is real close to a non repairable area because it is on the edge of the tire where there is a lot of flexing.

TravelTiger

If I didn't have road hazard coverage I would move that tire to the spare. By todays standards that screw is real close to a non repairable area because it is on the edge of the tire where there is a lot of flexing.

This is what the Tire Pro shop recommended, and we did just that. I called this morning to speak to Greg, the Owner, and sure enough, they do not sell "Road Hazard Coverage" on trailer tires. The verbiage on the back of my invoice is generic, if we had purchased the coverage for a passenger vehicle only.

FYI, I also checked on Discount Tire's website, which also specifies that the "Road Hazard Warranty does not apply for tires used on Recreational Vehicles..."

After speaking to the Owner at Tire Pro, he assured me that we would be safe to use the tire for an emergency (even driving 100s of miles), but that the continued stresses of using the tire "on the ground all the time" would not be safe, due to the location of the puncture in an area that flexes a lot.

Erika

rick_debbie_gallant

This is what the Tire Pro shop recommended, and we did just that. I called this morning to speak to Greg, the Owner, and sure enough, they do not sell "Road Hazard Coverage" on trailer tires. The verbiage on the back of my invoice is generic, if we had purchased the coverage for a passenger vehicle only.

FYI, I also checked on Discount Tire's website, which also specifies that the "Road Hazard Warranty does not apply for tires used on Recreational Vehicles..."

After speaking to the Owner at Tire Pro, he assured me that we would be safe to use the tire for an emergency (even driving 100s of miles), but that the continued stresses of using the tire "on the ground all the time" would not be safe, due to the location of the puncture in an area that flexes a lot.

Erika

Not to be argumentative, but I believe the "recreational vehicle" as mentioned in the exclusion at not being covered by the "certificates" applies to off road vehicles and not "campers, motorhomes and fifthwheels". In fact last year I had a slow leak and had picked up a nail. I had zero problems when I pulled into a Discount Tire store and had them repaired.

TravelTiger

Not argumentative!

Good information, for those considering where to buy tires. I just chose to give business to a local place. Discount is 45 min away with no good RV maneuverability. Have bought many tired from them, and had flats fixed by them. :)