Tire/Axle Issue in my 2012 NT 28BRS

danemayer

I know you already have had some discussion about how two 3500 pound axles can support a trailer rated at 6900 pounds, but perhaps I can add to that.

The weight is distributed across the two axles and the hitch. This is not theoretical and it's not a marketing device to claim more than the actual capability. If you had your trailer and tow vehicle weighed, taking individual wheel weight, with and without the tow vehicle, you could easily demonstrate this. The only variable part is whether the hitch is carrying 10% of the total, or 12%, or 9% or some other number. I'd guess it's more than 10%, but 10% is a conservative assumption.

So if you ever fully loaded up to the GVWR of 6900, 10% or about 690 or so will be on the hitch and the remaining 6210 will be on the axles - or about 3105 on each axles vs. a rating of 3500 per axle. So anyone who says that 3500 pound axles are not enough to support a trailer with GVWR of 6900 is not basing his comments on the engineering design. This is definitely not an argument you want to have with Lippert.

When your alignment guy commented on the size of the axle, if we assume he's correct, then that may be an indication that the axles have been mislabeled - perhaps these are 3000 pound axles mistakenly labeled 3500. It can happen. Or perhaps the person making the comment is more familiar with other vehicle types and is making an irrelevant comparison.

If your dealer will back you up that the tire wear occurred before flipping the springs, and the alignment shop will back you up that they haven't done any bending, you may still be able to convince Lippert to inspect the axles. If they're mislabeled, or they find a manufacturing defect, I'd guess they'll acknowledge their error, set aside other issues, and help you, even though they don't have to.

The trick here is to get them to back up after they've made a decision to not help. It's also important to recognize that they really have no obligation to help you after the warranty expires - it's their choice to do so. I'd suggest that you appeal to their expertise - let them know that while you've gotten lots of opinions, it may be that the only way to figure out what really happened is for their experts to take a look.

Of course, if you send the axles to them, you'll probably get to pay shipping and if they don't find a defect, you'll almost certainly have to buy new axles vs getting them aligned. But they may just find that it's their error and send you new axles.

Good luck with it.

RanCarr

Re: Tire and axle failure in 2011 BRS28 - HELP!!!!!!!!!

Hi TeJay,
I had the trailer to the alignment shop and the camber is out -1.5 degree and the tech said that he coud put it back but that it would certainly fall again. He also noted that the two 3500lbs axles were light for a trailer with a GVW of 6900lbs.

Much too light we were told at the repair shop that replaced the Lippert's installed by HL. If the same cheap thin axles had been replaced the man said, they would only bend again. They had a small stack of bent Lipperts laying there from HL RVs. That tells us something.

I am lost with this lingo and was hoping you might educate me just a little. when i bought the trailer i understood they said it was 5180lbs dry with a hitch weight of 482lbs and GVWR of 6900lbs. How does a 36 gal fresh water tank and food and clothing weigh into all these numbers pardon the pun?

It's my understanding that when loaded, your TT should not weight over 6900 lbs.

The way the alignment shop explained it was the trailer itself put the axles almos at the max, but if that is true how is Heartland able to produce a product that in my mind is dangerous there must be some other engineering math??? Thank you sooo much so far for your input i really appreciate it.

They will do it because they CAN! Who will stop them? Most likely no one has been killed by the axles or tires failing yet. One of our tires FAILED a few minutes after we got it back in the driveway. What would have happened had we been doing 55, 60 on the Interstate? HL refused to accept any responsibility. Our BRS28 now has new much heavier axles and 4 new tires. We feel much safer now, thanks to LIPPERT who replaced them for free and paid most of the labor. We're stuck for the cost of the 4 new tires.

RanCarr

Hi TravelTiger,

My dealer is dealing direct with Lippert and the report from the alignment shop has been sent along with photos of the old tires wear and photos of the axles. Sure hope lippert comes through.

Lippert came through for us. They sent us much heavier axles that made the ones installed by HL looks like toothpicks.

jimtoo

I am pretty sure Lippert installs the axles and springs on the frame before Heartland gets the frame assembly to build the trailer on. That is the reason you have to deal with Lippert with concerns about the axles.

RanCarr

I am pretty sure Lippert installs the axles and springs on the frame before Heartland gets the frame assembly to build the trailer on. That is the reason you have to deal with Lippert with concerns about the axles.

This may be so, but Lippert can only install what HL tells them to install - and will pay them for.

T

Tfitz

What I find interesting is that HL does not go to Lippert on behalf of the customer. They have more of a chance to get support as they are the ones buying hundreds of thousands of these axles and can take their business elsewhere if Lippert does not want to support their product. Last I checked when my GM had a problem with say a shock or strut i did not call and ask who their supplier was, I went to GM as it was their name on the truck and they supported it. Again they could recoup their cost from their shock or strut supplier as they are buying hundreds of thousands of them. I mean HL markets the strength of their coach roof and walls etc.. Then put it on an inferior set of axles that are right on the edge for the coaches weight kind of makes the quality of their coach a mute point.

rickandjoyce

We had a bad situation with leaf springs manufactured by Lippert. After working with them, after being out of warranty for over 18 months, they did the right thing. Check my post under "leaf springs" on 4/29/13.