Tire info

jcher41

On May 1st I purchased a new 2011 Heartland North Trail 26RKS. I have taken three trips for a total of approximately 600 miles. I noticed last week that all four tires are showing abnormal wear on the inner and outer edges. The trailer came with ST205/75R14C tires. The MFG. date is 26-10. I inflate them to 50 PSI which is the recommended pressure on the sidewalls. The trailer has only been towed on pavement and not above 65 mph. The trailer is currently at the dealer for some warranty work and when I mentioned the tire issue the service writer said that he did not think the tires would be a warranty item. He said something about the way the trailer is turned may be causing the wear. My question is are the tires a warrant item? Also should the tires with only 600 miles be wearing the way I described? I stopped by a local tire store and was told the tires should be replaced. I understand the tire store is in the business of selling tires but will the trailer be safe to tow without new tires.

jcher41

I have used three different tire gauges, two used for race car applications, and an ordinary gauge. All three indicate the tires at or above 50 PSI.

ctuna0203

I have a Heartland Bighorn 5th wheel and had same problem but only on 1 tire. Best thing. For you to do is have the alignment checked. I had my 5th wheel aligned , best thing ever. Take it to a place that does trailer alignments, you won't be sorry you did. If you need to buy tires get anything but marathon.

danemayer

jcher41,

You might find this site helpful. It was developed by another Heartland owner and although the primary focus is on tow weights, it has good info on tire wear patterns and causes.

On your question about warranty, many components in the trailer are covered by the component manufacturer's warranty. Tires might be in that category. But since you're experiencing uneven wear in early life, the best way to find out if this situation is covered by Heartland is to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. You'll need your VIN #.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If it is defective tires, the tire distributor, Tredit, has very good customer service. Heartland may direct you to speak to them directly.

jcher41

Thanks to everyone for their info. I weighed the trailer and it is well within specs. The dealer is looking into the problem so I will wait and see. I suspect it is either an alignment issue or more likely tires not up to the weight of the trailer.

jcher41

I did some more research and found the tires on my trailer have a weight capacity of 3520 lbs per axle, but the axles are rated at 3600 lbs. Should the tires have an equal or greater carrying capacity? The tires are brand name H188ST.

GOTTOYS

I did some more research and found the tires on my trailer have a weight capacity of 3520 lbs per axle, but the axles are rated at 3600 lbs. Should the tires have an equal or greater carrying capacity? The tires are brand name H188ST.
No, you are just fine. Part of the weight of the trailer is carried by the hitch. Don