Tire pressure from dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattman

So, when I picked new TT up from the dealer this spring I made an ASSumption. My tires had green caps on the valve stems. My thoughts where. Sweet. Nitrogen filled tires. Won't have to worry about those this summer. Flash forward tonight. Better check those things before we go camping tomorrow.
Max rating on tire says 65 cold.
The fronts read 74ish.
Backs where at 70.
So. I set them all to 62..
Who is right? Dealer or me?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I would go with what the tire specs say "cold psi" and set them at that pressure when they are cold. The dealer doesn't care if you blow a tire they just want to make the sale and watch you drive away. :/

mlpeloquin

If you are talking about your trailer, they should be set according to the load on them plus 5 psi or maximum. If the sidewall says max 80psi put 80psi in them until you know the weight fully loaded and then get the load pressure chart for your tires. On my fifth wheel the Goodyear G614's, a 110 max psi tire, needs 90psi and do to the mountain/sea level/desert traveling we do, I set them at 100psi. For an entire trip I never need to adjust the air pressure unless one tire differs more then 2psi in the morning.

For your truck, set it to the manufactures specified psi. Check my trucks manufactures recommended pressure against the load pressure chart I down loaded form the manufactures web page. The rear PSI was specified for the maximum load the dully could carry. I could lower the psi based on the manufactures load pressure chart, but what a pain to refill each time I what to used it to pull the fifth wheel.

So unless your trailer has been weighed fully loaded and the load has been weighed on each tire individually, you really need to keep them at maximum pressure or the Heartland recommended pressure for safety. I think that there is a sticker on mine that says 80psi. That was for the Blowmax tires that were 80psi max that came with the fifth wheel.

Mattman

Yeah. I set them this evening out of the sun.
That's kinda what I was thinking. What I was curious about was the front ones being higher. If I missed something about a higher inflation on them

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Unless you carry a tank of nitrogen with you . . . might as well fill those tires with air!

Nitrogen is a ripoff for the tire stores to make money.

Nothing more . . . nothing less!

Noofear

Unless you carry a tank of nitrogen with you . . . might as well fill those tires with air!

Nitrogen is a ripoff for the tire stores to make money.

Nothing more . . . nothing less!
Just your opinion John some of us think it actually does help

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mattman

Sticker says 65. Not sure why front to back was different or why so high. Can't believe the nitrogen (if they even had it in there) expanded that much.
Moral of the story: new or old tires/trailer. Check them.

IronJ

its not just trailer dealers.....Discount tire installed 7000+$ of new wheels and tires on my dually....

the pressure in the rears was 70-75 75-80....tires are rated a max of 65 both fronts were 65 after a few days I took it back complaining of vibration at 45 and 75 mph...to a different discount where I know the techs...

turns out the inner dually tires were not even balanced at all and the other two were off 12-16oz each...

there are lazy people and morons everywhere...sigh...

Jim.Allison

Set at 65 before you move your rig (before daylight) the sun will increase your tire pressure, increases in pressure due to heat in the afternoon, and rolling friction have been considered by the tire manufacturer already. Never bleed a hot tire especially if you know that the tire was properly inflated when cold. Nitrogen's only purpose is to prevent moisture from entering your tire while inflating. Nitrogen is popular because it is delivered to places who do not want to maintain a compressor and drying components for it. They use nitrogen as it is more convenient, and what better way to offset their cost than to sell people on the idea that nitrogen is somehow beneficial for performance handling. Green caps help sell performance cars to people who do not know that the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen already.

IronJ

Isn't nitrogen used in aircraft tires due to extreme heating on landing/braking??...and even then I know techs who say it's not that big a deal/necessary?..

The store put nitrogen in my tires...I could have cared less...my compressors only make reg ol earth grade air.....lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Noofear

I haven't had a problem in 8 years and don't suspect I will and yes some people do carry a small nitrogen tank remember this was covered before

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
This thread is closed, because two members were bashing each other and went off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.