Tire pressure monitoring system

RandyDeb

Like some input on Tire pressure monitoring systems. From what I have read, the Safeguard TPMS seams to be a good choice. I'm looking for a ten cap sensor unit and this one would be $479.00. Small price to pay compared to what a blown tire can do to the trailer.

Thanks for the help.

danemayer

Hi RandyDeb,

I think this might be the first time the SafeGuard TPMS brand has come up for discussion, so I'm not sure how much feedback you're going to get.

A lot of us have the TST TPMS system and one of the things that repeatedly gets notice is that they provide outstanding customer service.

meagle

I have the TST system and love it. I had to add the booster which was a very simpler task. Great customer service from an American company. I heartily recommend them.

brianlajoie

We have the time minder TP66 system. We like the system, but will probably sell it as I need a TPMS that works with my new tires I have for my truck. I got new steel rims and 110 PSI tires and the truck TPMS system has difficulty with the new set up. I'm installing a Dill system that will monitor the tires for the truck and trailer in real time.

RandyDeb

Thanks guys for the input. I'll check out the TST system for sure. For sake of the discussion and if interested, I found the Safeguard system at Wheeling it. I'm looking for 10 sensors and like to keep it simple.

Gary521

Just a comment. A TPMS will not prevent a tire from blowing. It will let you know if one does and prevent further damage.

RandyDeb

Exactly right. In my mind a TPMS falls into the "preventive maintenance" category. If the thing is working you should have time to react to an issue before it becomes a show stopper. So what about using an infrared thermometer as an Additional precaution for keeping an eye on hub and break temp? How hot is to hot?

I have the TST System also and love the product and customer service.
They may be at the rally in June, check the vendor list or ask J.B.

Hockster

RandyDeb

That was one thing that I did notice about the Safeguard system that the reviews on customer service were an issue for a lot of people.

RandyDeb

Well, Have my TST 507 mostly installed. Valve stems on the dully (all 6 ) are either to short or after adding the sensor in a spot no air can be added. Can I get by with extensions or do I need to knock the tires off and change the stems all together?

kbbagshaw

Well, Have my TST 507 mostly installed. Valve stems on the dully (all 6 ) are either to short or after adding the sensor in a spot no air can be added. Can I get by with extensions or do I need to knock the tires off and change the stems all together?

We removed the anti-theft cap on the ones on our truck. This allows installing and removing without the tool. It is a real challenge adding air but doable. I thought about extenders but read about many issues with them so I decided to just fight it when needed.

mlpeloquin

Had extenders on my old class C. Expensive ones that had stainless steel jacket. Never had a problem. You also must have steel valve stems for the TPMS sensors and the valve extenders.

Alan_B

I installed the TST 507 4-sensor system about a month ago. So far so good. I called their customer service once during the install and they were very helpful and responsive.

Thunderbolt

Hi RandyDeb,

I think this might be the first time the SafeGuard TPMS brand has come up for discussion, so I'm not sure how much feedback you're going to get.

A lot of us have the TST TPMS system and one of the things that repeatedly gets notice is that they provide outstanding customer service.

I second that. I called TST yesterday and left a message expecting to be called back today. Man called me from his home where he was fielding tech calls. Corrected my errors and had the system up and running in 10 mins. I have used their products for six years now. I use the flow through sensors with the replaceable batteries. We change them once a year on spring time change.

RandyDeb

Finished installing the TST TPMS system last night. I had one flow through sensor that wouldn't work. After about an hour of trying to reprogram it and generally messing with the monitor , I read the instructions and figured that maybe I had installed it to tight so I backed it off a little and that did it. It took a couple of minutes and started working. The next issue was setting the pressure parameters. Because the truck tires are below 100 PSI, you have to skip the high side and do the low side first and then go back and set the high side. It really didn't say anything about that in the instruction book, but was on a note in bold letters on an add on card (still in the box) that I found after everything was working. After thinking about it, it may have been mentioned on one of the installation videos.:cool: