tire pressure question

Bobby A

Got my brand new G614's on and aired them up to 110 PSI before I left MI. yesterday morning, it was a cool morning when I aired them up, now I'm in Cartersville, GA and I checked the pressure a few minutes ago several hours after driving and they were at 112 PSI, its hot and humid hear. The unit has been sitting since about noon today so they shouldn't have any road heat. My question is should I lower the PSI back to 110 or leave it ??? Thanks for the advise, see you all at the Tampa show in January.

Lynn1130

Leave it alone. If you aired them cold they will gain some in warmer weather or after being run.

Miltp920

Leave it alone, like the others said. We air them up COLD to max on the side of the tire (110 psi for you). Driving on a road and ambient temps rising makes temps and pressure go up. This is figured into the design of the tire. Likewise IF you drove to Alaska, your pressure would go down, but you would NOT add air to maintain the 110 psi (IF I understand the physics right).

Bobby A

Leave it alone, like the others said. We air them up COLD to max on the side of the tire (110 psi for you). Driving on a road and ambient temps rising makes temps and pressure go up. This is figured into the design of the tire. Likewise IF you drove to Alaska, your pressure would go down, but you would NOT add air to maintain the 110 psi (IF I understand the physics right).

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I will leave it alone as you all suggested, thanks again

mlpeloquin

If you want to check them again, do it in the early morning before the sun rises above the horizon. As soon as the sun hits the tires, they heat up and the pressure reading is false.

jnbhobe

They say 70* is the temp to set them at, but I don't think it makes that much difference.

mlpeloquin

Depends on where you live. 60* - 67* in the morning here and can be 90's to 100*+ in the late afternoon. I sent them in the early AM. In the winter 30* to mid 40's. i still set them in the early AM. i suspect in some areas of the country 80's in the AM in the summer. So unless you have a controlled environment, the early morning ambient temperature is what to go by. Now if you keep you Rv in a building....

Lynn1130

They say 70* is the temp to set them at, but I don't think it makes that much difference.

I would be waiting for October to come if I went by that here, from about May on.

tireman9

Sorry but "they" are wrong. Cold Inflation Pressure is when a tire is at ambient (air temperature) and has not been driven on or in direct sunlight for at least 2 hours. Tire pressure will change with tire internal air temperature by about 2% for each change of 10F.

Here is the math for those interested.

jnbhobe

I have not changed the pressure of my tires since spring, they go up and down but stay with in a few pounds

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The reason why you want to inflate your tires using the inflation on the side of the tire is you do not know how much weight each tire is carrying and you should presume you are carrying max weight. Also keep in mind if you travel with any water in your holding tanks the weight of the water (about 8 pounds per gallon) so if you are carrying 10 gallons you have an extra 80 pounds. Water is heavy. Failure to empty your grey and black tanks will add significant weight too. The inflation sticker on you tow vehicle is for most comfortable ride and is almost always 5 - 10 pounds less than sidewall values. We always use sidewall values for the same reason.

Bobby A

You guys were right again, I did as Marc suggested and checked them this morning before the sun came up before we left Cartersville, GA and they were back down to 109.5 so I let them a along as you all suggested. We are at the Georiga Florida border for the night and will make our last leg of the trip tomorrow to Port Richey, Fl. Thanks again everyone

Jim.Allison

The neat thing about running G114 and their brothers, sisters, and cousins is that you can inflate based on a chart, inflating to sidewall stated pressure is way overkill, but if you know the weight of the rig fully loaded with water and empty grey and black tanks, (weight both sides or even each axle) then armed with the % increase and decrease with temps, you can choose an inflation that is acceptable year round, excepting the extremes. Where I live the inflation pressure I have chosen based on knowing the weights is completely acceptable. All I have to do is check to see if the tire is within range of that pressure and go.

tireman9

Sorry but "they" are wrong. Cold Inflation Pressure is when a tire is at ambient (air temperature) and has not been driven on or in direct sunlight for at least 2 hours. Tire pressure will change with tire internal air temperature by about 2% for each change of 10F.

Here is the math for those interested.

Here is the new link to the MATH.

We lost the domain .com and had to change to .net