Tire replacement, size not found

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thank for straightening me out on this. Of course this all based on him having the T03 wheel as you do. Which, like you said is probably the case. But like I said in the beginning one must check the casting information on his own wheels to insure tire fitment of any kind. It does not diminish the fact that the G614 is a great choice for him if his wheels are spec'ed for it. I have 4 3750 110 PSI T04's and a steel wheel sitting in my garage with 5 Chinese "willpop" tires, that will never go anywhere except craigslist.

Jim, we're on the same page. I agree, and would have the G614s if I was willing to upgrade my wheels. I think if you can afford to do it, great! If you have wheels that are in spec for GY614s, buy them! But his rig is lighter than mine. I've been happy with the Maxxis tires, enough to buy a second set. It's all about checking your specs -- trust what you read, but verify your own wheels.

Jim.Allison

Take your rim spec and call a online tire supplier and tell them you want a LT tire the same diameter as the TowMAx you have. With a load rating equal to or exceeding the tire.

Jim.Allison

Were good, internet is a beautiful thing, I learned about that rim and found ambiguity on the product. It would be nice if he did get the T04 by some stroke of luck.
Jim, we're on the same page. I agree, and would have the G614s if I was willing to upgrade my wheels. I think if you can afford to do it, great! If you have wheels that are in spec for GY614s, buy them! But his rig is lighter than mine. I've been happy with the Maxxis tires, enough to buy a second set. It's all about checking your specs -- trust what you read, but verify your own wheels.

btbaillie

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. My wheels are T07 8 spoke with 3750 load capacity. It looks like Maxxis is the tire I need.

Thanks again,

Bruce

GWRam

I have Towmax tires and want to replace them. They are ST 235/80R16. The only replacement for that size is ST Goodyear Marathon. I cannot find any other brand or LT tires that size. I hate to buy new wheels too.

Any suggestions?

Bruce
Whichever brand you choose the key based on your question is the tire diameter and width. Look for tires with the same width and diameter. If your unit has a lot of clearance in width and in height then you have more options.

Jim.Allison

My wheels were 5/8 wider and only 3/4 in diameter so the total gap closure was 3/4 inch and the clearance on each side of 5/16 less. As sure as I was and despite everything every one said, I measured it with a tape measure before placing my order.

I found that the best technique for getting a good deal on tires is to buy them from a reputable tire dealer online, generally speaking there is no sales tax, there is deep discounts and freight added which makes for a good purchase. Tire Rack is a good place to look for LT tires because they have all the specs published. And if you order from them they have people in your area to mount them. I know they have marathons but I don't know about Maxis, seemed like they did have Maxes though. They do not have G614 from Goodyear but others do. How about this one, no freight and no tax, makes it close in total cost to any chinese tire set you could buy.

http://simpletire.com/goodyear-lt23...ce=Pricegrabber&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=40768
Goodluck

QUOTE=GWRam;384752]Whichever brand you choose the key based on your question is the tire diameter and width. Look for tires with the same width and diameter. If your unit has a lot of clearance in width and in height then you have more options.[/QUOTE]

tireman9

I have Towmax tires and want to replace them. They are ST 235/80R16. The only replacement for that size is ST Goodyear Marathon. I cannot find any other brand or LT tires that size. I hate to buy new wheels too.

Any suggestions?

Bruce

You failed to mention an important bit of information. Current tire Load Range and actual individual tire load.

The suggestion of an LT may or may not be a good suggestion as LT tires are not rated to carry as high a load as ST type tires.

I have a couple posts on swaping LT for ST. Here and HERE

Jim.Allison

All 16 in towmax ST are load range E.

You failed to mention an important bit of information. Current tire Load Range and actual individual tire load.

The suggestion of an LT may or may not be a good suggestion as LT tires are not rated to carry as high a load as ST type tires.

I have a couple posts on swaping LT for ST. Here and HERE

Jim Posz

Traded in my 2007 Sundance for a 2014 Sundance last week. Just swapped out four Towmax tires for Maxxis yesterday. Found a independent tire dealer in a nearby farming community who gave me $50 each for the Towmax tires; the swap cost me $470.80 total with tax, mount and balance. Had Maxxis on the previous rig; went to Florida and Alaska with zero tire trouble.

Jim.Allison

Good job, I did the 17.5 inch rim with G114s back before tires took the giant leap in price. I just got $850 for the 16 inch rims and Towmax tire take offs offs on craigslist. That made my out of pocket a little better on the mod. I was happy to get rid of them and he was happy to have them.

Traded in my 2007 Sundance for a 2014 Sundance last week. Just swapped out four Towmax tires for Maxxis yesterday. Found a independent tire dealer in a nearby farming community who gave me $50 each for the Towmax tires; the swap cost me $470.80 total with tax, mount and balance. Had Maxxis on the previous rig; went to Florida and Alaska with zero tire trouble.