Tire solutions before pushing off fulltime

Roadventure

Same here, my wheels were stamped 110psi so I got the G rated Sailuns. Very heavy duty tires and a reasonable price.

G rated tires should be named after Disney characters :) . But seriously, are you saying you put G-rated Sailuns on 16" high pressure wheels?

Roadventure

We got the call today from the shop that they are done with our maintenance and stuff we asked them to do. Bearings repacked etc. So we'll be pulling it home tomorrow and I'll check the wheels then. A little nervous since I haven't backed the trailer up yet, but will have to back it into our driveway for the first time. Wish me luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Where does one obtain Aerospace 303? I guess I can search Amazon for it.

I just answered my own question - went to AMZ and found a 32 oz. spray for like $19 on prime.

Last edited:

justafordguy

My stock 16" aluminum wheels are rated for G (110 psi) tires. The S637 Sailun tires are available in 235/85r16 G all steel belt and are very heavy duty commercial tires.

Roadventure

So I picked up my 5er today and checked the wheels on the back side. I have the 5134 B2 SenDel 16x6 wheels with a max load of 3580, I couldn't find anything about psi rating other than the mfg. catalog for 2016. For the 8 lug in the catalog says its 100 psi. But the wheels are probably from 2010, so hard to say...

471316c7a0760bdbccaeba30ee81dac5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadventure

So I picked up my 5er today and checked the wheels on the back side. I have the 5134 B2 SenDel 16x6 wheels with a max load of 3580, I couldn't find anything about psi rating other than the mfg. catalog for 2016. For the 8 lug in the catalog says its 100 psi. But the wheels are probably from 2010, so hard to say...

Found a previous topic: OEM wheels //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=51991

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Likely they are 80psi, looks like the wheels we had on our 2010 ElkRidge only ours where silver with black in the spokes. The 3580 is the max tire weight, which equates to an E rated tire.

Sniper

3580 is the max load for the wheel, not the max air pressure. The limiting max air pressure factor for your wheel is the valve stem. The rubber valve stems that come standard are for 80# max psi. The next stem up is steel and rated 100# max psi, and the next stem up from that is steel rated 100# plus psi. The exception to this would be if there is an actual max psi stamped in the wheel. There are 2 different hole sizes so you'll want to get the correct size stems like these http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/product/574 they come with both size grommets. Hope this helps.

On edit: It should be noted that even you put on, lets say, a G rated tire that is rated 4080# @ 110 psi (Which your wheel will handle with the correct valve stem) that the max load for the wheel is still 3580#, and should not be exceeded.

Safe travels. :)

danemayer

On many wheels, the 110 psi rating is associated with 3750 lb load capacity and both numbers are stamped in the surface. Absent a statement from the wheel manufacturer, it's not safe to assume 3580 lbs also means 110 psi.

Towmax tires are rated at 35xx lbs and 80 psi. I think it's more likely your wheel is rated for 80 psi.

If you want to check, call Tredit.

TravelTiger

Towmax tires are rated at 35xx lbs and 80 psi. I think it's more likely your wheel is rated for 80 psi.

That's what I did back in 2011, and was told 80psi.

Maxxis 8008 is a reliable ST 80psi tire, but if you have the funds, consider upgrading wheels and tires to give an even bigger margin of safety.

Roadventure

I am contacting Bruceter the OP on this thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=51991 to see what he ended up using and if he is happy with it. I am leaning towards 17.5" upgrades at this point as the investment pays off in spades and after hitting the 20K mark, and the added margin of saftey etc. etc. Hoping my home rental deposit can cover at least half of that expense after we move out.

Sniper

On many wheels, the 110 psi rating is associated with 3750 lb load capacity and both numbers are stamped in the surface. Absent a statement from the wheel manufacturer, it's not safe to assume 3580 lbs also means 110 psi.

Dan, though I did not receive a written statement confirming this, I did speak with Sendel, HWT, etrailer, and the folks at trailer and truck parts.com, and was told the same thing by all 4, that the limiting psi factor was the valve stem. I did all this research due to our recent tire problem, that I thought was an axle problem stress fest, and the resulting desire to upgrade as soon as we got home. I'm calling tredit now. If I get a totally different answer from them, I may just start drinking again. :p

Ron-Cookie

I figure the TPMS is a good idea after investing so much in said "paws". Where does one obtain Aerospace 303? I guess I can search Amazon for it. Any solid reco on a TPMS?

I get the Aerospace 303 from Amazon and my TPMS from InnoTechRV.com....

TravelTiger

TST TPMS. Best service during and after the sale.

Roadventure

Update: We ordered 17.5" aluminum wheels and Sailun S637 tires today from trailertiresandwheels.com . They did me a solid and threw the spare in for just a benjamin. Good folks over there. Responsive and great quality. Hoping to get our new shoes on within the week. :D

rhodies1

We bought our (slightly used) 2011 Road Warrior 385RW about a month ago. We started researching tires and there are about as many recommendations as there are opinions and it is hard to sift so many. I'm sure ya'll are sick of the same ?, but I'll try to be more specific for OUR situation to help get a more guided answer. Our trailer has the original TowMax King tires on it from 2010, they have tread and appear normal, but the trailer also sat in storage for 18 months before we bought it. So obviously we need to get new tires.

Facts:
I have a triple axle with each axle rated at 6000 lbs
Dry weight is 13,750
GVWR is 18,000
My need is for 7 tires - 6 mounted and 1 spare (or would you recommend more?)

Two options seem to be the path we should pursue:

Option 1: Keep 16" aluminum wheels (80psi) and buy a highly recommended E rated 10 ply tire
This is attractive until finding that the most recommended tire is usually a $400 Goodyear tire - I also priced some Toyo Tires from Les Schwab and it was somewhere in that ballpark. I have looked into Sailun and Maxxis as well.

Finding this option will cost somewhere between $1700 - $2800. Some folks seem to shy away from 16" wheels and say to upgrade. The guy at Les Schwab said it would be easier to have assistance on the road with a 16" wheel.

Option 2: Upgrade to a 17.5" high pressure (120 psi) wheel that can handle a commercial H rated 16 ply tire
The lowest I could get this package price was $3100 from http://www.trailer-wheels.com/, but as you can see that is only $300 more than just 16" nice higher end E rated tires.
This option includes HiSpec 17.5 aluminum wheels and a Hercules H-902.

I did talk to Scott from http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/ and his recommendation is the same exact wheel, but Sailun S-637 tires - This package came to close to $3500 (a used sedan in price).

We weren't expecting this nor budgeting for it, but the initial investment to be less likely to have blowouts is attractive. The BlowMax tires gotta go either way. We were considering waiting(and praying) for the first month while we will mostly be parked in N. Idaho. to save up (no more $ to our landlord).

If you need more infos please ask, it would be great to hear from a fulltimer with the same type setup/weight rating and how things are working for them.

Thanks ahead of time!

Are you sure your current rims can only handle an 80 lbs psi rating,have you looked at the back side of the rims to see what is stamped on the rim,it may surprise you and state 110 Lbs psi or 3750 lbs capacity. If so you could install Saliun tires without buying rims and stay with 16 in.rims

TravelTiger

Are you sure your current rims can only handle an 80 lbs psi rating,have you looked at the back side of the rims to see what is stamped on the rim,it may surprise you and state 110 Lbs psi or 3750 lbs capacity. If so you could install Saliun tires without buying rims and stay with 16 in.rims

Yes, the wheels he had are 80psi rated.

Just to compare, our new fiver has Sailuns. My job when we travel is to watch the tire monitor. Yesterday, ambient temp was around 90 in Tx, and our tires aired to 110 got up to 125psi and as high as 107 degrees. Could an 80psi rated wheel handle that, and more, when the ambient temps get into the 100s? I would not want to try it.

porthole

Retired

No matter how many lugs, 5 - 6 - 8, I've never seen a 5 spoke wheel that rated higher then 80 psi.

The difference between 80 and 110 psi is more then just a valve stem.

Update: We ordered 17.5" aluminum wheels and Sailun S637 tires today from trailertiresandwheels.com . They did me a solid and threw the spare in for just a benjamin. Good folks over there. Responsive and great quality. Hoping to get our new shoes on within the week. :D

Scott is a good guy, and even though his business has really grown, they still offer personal, great service.