Tire wear on triple axle models?

JohnnyR

Have a 2012 Cyclone 3950 toyhauler with three axles. Probably have about 12K miles on the tires. Noticed that tires on front axle and rear axle show more wear than tires on center axle, especially on tire edges. Does not appear to be axle misalignment as tires not worn only on outside vs iside on tire opposing it on one axle. Looking at how much flex I see in the front and rear axles tires when turning and especially backing, iIwondered whether that huge amount of flexing is the cause. Anyone else seeing this?

Almost afraid to ask my second question but I will. About to replace the Power King Towmax tires. Pretty much have to stay with the current size 235/80R16E ST tires as there is so little clearance between the tires with the Dexter link suspension so I cannot go up in diameter. Considered going to LT245/75R16, diameter is less but so is carrying capacity. Leaning toward Maxxis MT 8008 ST. I have had bad experiences w/Goodyear Marathons. Have not read good things about Carlisles, but most of those comments are not about their newest radial ST. Discount Tire here in TX does not carry Maxxis in stock, only Carlisle and Goodyear. I am checking to see if they would order them. So is anyone running the new Carlisle Radial Trail RH?

HornedToad

After two blowouts I replaced the Goodyear Marathon tires on my Jayco TT at Discount Tire with Carlisle tires. I did not have any better experience, suffering two more blowouts, with the Carlisle tires. This was over two years ago, so they were probably not "their newest radial ST". The Discount tire store in Midland, TX will order the Maxxis tires.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Have a 2012 Cyclone 3950 toyhauler with three axles. Probably have about 12K miles on the tires. Noticed that tires on front axle and rear axle show more wear than tires on center axle, especially on tire edges. Does not appear to be axle misalignment as tires not worn only on outside vs iside on tire opposing it on one axle. Looking at how much flex I see in the front and rear axles tires when turning and especially backing, iIwondered whether that huge amount of flexing is the cause. Anyone else seeing this?

Almost afraid to ask my second question but I will. About to replace the Power King Towmax tires. Pretty much have to stay with the current size 235/80R16E ST tires as there is so little clearance between the tires with the Dexter link suspension so I cannot go up in diameter. Considered going to LT245/75R16, diameter is less but so is carrying capacity. Leaning toward Maxxis MT 8008 ST. I have had bad experiences w/Goodyear Marathons. Have not read good things about Carlisles, but most of those comments are not about their newest radial ST. Discount Tire here in TX does not carry Maxxis in stock, only Carlisle and Goodyear. I am checking to see if they would order them. So is anyone running the new Carlisle Radial Trail RH?

I can help with the second question! Go to Discount Tire Direct, and figure your pricing. Then call your local Discount Tire, they can order them and match the price. Ours charged an extra $2 each tire for adding full metal valve stems (no price for this online). They even gave me the "$25 web only instant savings". Be sure to get the road hazard warranty certificates, tires are expensive to replace!

Erika

Wrenched

I believe you're looking at scrubbing from turns - I see the same wear on our unit.
Be sure to check your tire pressures - I was surprised to find how fast they go down in the cool weather.
We had similar poor experience with the Carlisle tires - several blowouts and meltdowns.
I replaced with Maxxis on 2 other trailers (SOB) that we owned and never had a problem after that.
We ordered ours from Discount Tire.

Bksvo

I replaced my Towmax with Carlisle's from Discount about a year ago. I probably have 4k miles on them now, and I'm very happy. I had nothing but problems with the Towmax during only only year and 8k miles. The Carlisles seem to be much better made, and Discount claimed they were completely redesigned from the old Carlisles, and Discount test ran them for a year before they would sell them again. He told me he didn't have one tire returned in the year since they started selling them again (busy Phoenix store).

scottyb

I replaced my Towmax, immediately upon purchase, with Michelin XPS Ribs. They are larger in diameter which makes them even closer together, especially the middle and rear tires. They occasionally touch in tight maneuvers. However, they have 11K miles on them already and they are showing little to no wear. I went all summer with them in temps from 110 degrees to 40 degrees and rarely even added air. They only lost 1-2 ibs while sitting for 6 months last winter. I don't think I have ever owned tires that required such little maintenence. I rotated them at 5K and will do so again before the next trip. It may be more important on 3 axle rigs due to the scrubbing.

remoandiris

I rotated them at 5K and will do so again before the next trip. It may be more important on 3 axle rigs due to the scrubbing.

How did you rotate them? Did you just swap them around on the same side or move them to the opposite side?

My owners manual mentions nothing of rotating the tires.

whp4262

I ordered my tires from discounttiredirect.com and had them shipped to my door. Shipping was pretty fast and I mounted them my self because I have the stuff to do it. But you might be able to work something out with your local store to mount them. I'm running Taskmaster Provider tires but I haven't run them long enough to recommend them yet. I have had good luck with 15" ST Taskmaster tires over the last 10 years but no experience with the 16" tires. Maxxis seems to have pretty good reviews so far and the funny thing is I think they are made in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

scottyb

How did you rotate them? Did you just swap them around on the same side or move them to the opposite side?

My owners manual mentions nothing of rotating the tires.

Per Discount Tire's recommendation, everything moved forward, fronts went to opposite side rear.

oscar

Not getting into the "which tire to buy" discussion…. yet. My unit is less than a year old and the factory tires appear to be holding up well after about 5000 miles.

There are two things I do to try to be nice to my tires. I avoid tight turns wherever possible. I will pull up a few times if I can to ease up. Tri axles are very tough on tires in tight turns. I have also installed a TPMS and watch my pressures and temperatures closely. I always run within a few pounds of the proper pressure.

MurrayN.

I got four years out of my TowMax tires on my Sundance without any problems at all - just did a lot of praying and checked the tire pressures religiously every morning before a day of driving. But last winter I decided to stop rolling the dice and bit the bullet and had them all replaced with new Maxxis tires. I had them on a previous trailer with very good luck. Up here in Canada there is a large tire chain called Kal Tire that used to carry them. The local manager said that the head office had discontinued them for some unknown reason but he said that they were the best rv tire that he had ever carried. He said that they never came back with complaints. So after searching on the Maxxis site and getting a name for another dealer within a couple of hours driving, I was able to order in a set of M8008 and have them installed. I am sure that they will last as long as I have this unit.

cudabum44

On my '12 Cyclone 3800 tri-axle, no 1st year tire problems. 2nd year 7 bad Tomax: 1 blowout, 2 broken belt, 2 sidewall bulges & 2 w/ excessive edge wear. I change to load range H st215r17.5. The distributor gave me a token payment on the bulged tires as tread wear was negligible after taking them to a dealer for inspection. They are just a hair smaller diameter so between the wheel chocking can be used. I kept the original spare. No appreciable miles yet.

wiredawgchief

Decided to keep the TowMax tires. Not sure if it is a major factor or not, but my Level-up system removes most of the weight off the tires when activated in my shop. This could prevent flat spots on tread and sidewall. Plus, just as important to keep tires properly aired during storage as when traveling. Every little bit helps.

Ron

TacoTom

I am going to pull the trigger on a Cyclone 3800 this week, and was going to order it with the optional "G" Rated Goodyear Tires (12 ply), it is a $2000.00 upgrade.

Does anyone know about these tires and how the perform? ..Thanks

jnbhobe

The option is GY 614's and that is it, also the best other than 17.5 wheels and that would be over kill on that rig.