Tires revisited.

oscar

Not trying to start (another) Blowmax bashing thread..... :p

Yes, I searched this forum but a lot of stuff is out of date.

I need 6 new tires. Elsewhere I related my Blowmax experience this March. So, I need (another) new tire anyways, and as we all know the E rated tires are not cutting it on the heavy corners, so instead of buying another E and repeating the ordeal I need to beef it all up a little.

I am aware of the Trailer Tires and Wheels Heartland special on 17.5" wheels and H rated tires.......But that's a lot of coin.

Does anyone know the exact pressure rating on the wheels? (2013-4100) And, is there currently a G or H rated 16" tire that has an overal diameter that works for us, as the wheels can get quite close to each other? (Part cause of my March problems.)

(I am aware that because of the lower aspect ratio on the 17.5" tires the overall diameter is actually LESS which increases the space between wheels, which is a good thing.)

edited for spelling

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
There have been many people that have installed the GY G614's. They will fit with out any issues. They are not cheap , but neither is replacing the side of your CY. 2nd choice would be Sailuns and they are cheaper. Both are a "G" rated tires with a good reputation's.

danemayer

You can also look up the specs for each diameter to check the outer diameter. I believe Towmax is 31.7" and GY G614 is 30.7". But since you're the one who has to spend the money, you should look up the specs yourself. A Google search will do it.

avvidclif

Not trying to start (another) Blowmax bashing thread..... :p

Yes, I searched this forum but a lot of stuff is out of date.

I need 6 new tires. Elsewhere I related my Blowmax experience this March. So, I need (another) new tire anyways, and as we all know the E rated tires are not cutting it on the heavy corners, so instead of buying another E and repeating the ordeal I need to beef it all up a little.

I am aware of the Trailer Tires and Wheels Heartland special on 17.5" wheels and H rated tires.......But that's a lot of coin.

Does anyone know the exact pressure rating on the wheels? (2013-4100) And, is there currently a G or H rated 16" tire that has an overal diameter that works for us, as the wheels can get quite close to each other? (Part cause of my March problems.)

(I am aware that because of the lower aspect ratio on the 17.5" tires the overall diameter is actually LESS which increases the space between wheels, which is a good thing.)

edited for spelling

I had a question about my wheels so I took a picture of one and sent it to Sendel (sendelwheel.com) and within 24 hrs a rep replied with the model and rating of my rims. He also told where to look to confirm it. FWIW mine are rated at 110 PSI

oscar

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx

Found the 614's..... Says G rated, but only 3750# at 110 psi?

Cliff, thanks! Didn't know who made the wheels. Found out (the hard way) that you can't drop the wheel good side out as the nice chrome center sticks out past the rubber. If I stick with these wheels I'll need one of those.

porthole

Retired
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx

Found the 614's..... Says G rated, but only 3750# at 110 psi?

3750 is 22,500 - on the axles, you need more?

The difference between a "any other tire" and the G-614 is the quality of the tire and the support from Goodyear. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
At least you had 110 psi rims. When we bought our Cyclone they were 80 psi only rims. That is why I switched to the 17.5's.
And at the time, the 17.5 tire and G-114 was $25 a combo less then G-614's on new rims.

oscar

Yes, fortunately I do have de high pressure rims.

Been shopping around for the G614's..... anywhere from $300-$385 on the interwebs with varying shipping cost. Local GY store is not bad at $325 ea for six, plus $10.45 mount and balance...

oscar

Okay, the "Goshen 17.5 wheel and tire deal" at www.trailertiresandwheels.com was still a larger chunk than I was willing to chew, but they sold me 6 G614's for $320 each and $20 shipping for all 6 (pick them up at the shipper a few miles away). I'll take the weels off in my driveway and my man less than a mile down the road will mount and balance them for $15 each, and I can bring them two at a time, so right around 2 large, minus say, $100 each for five Blowmax's on Craigslist makes $1500 I'll have 6 G614's under me..... Sounds like a plan.

avvidclif

Good luck, I've had my blowmaxs on Craiglist for 3 weeks without a nibble. $300 for all, 1 brand new, the others less than 1k by me.

oscar

3750 is 22,500 - on the axles, you need more?

Although I haven't weighed individual wheels yet, I have a strong suspicion that the right rear corner (kitchen with double wide fridge etc) are the heavier two of the six. This is where my Blowmax failed. So, I want to increase my buffer there as much as makes economic sense. And, since one should have 6 of the same tires......

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Oscar, I know you have heard/read this before....but do not jack your CY up by the axles and make sure you are hitched up to your TV.

oscar

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your concern. Actually with three axles I have no problem pulling the wheels on one axle with the other two chocked with LARGE rubber chocks, provided of course that I am on level, hard ground. (My paved driveway). It won't go anywhere. I need the truck to haul the tires back and forth to my guy. And yes I do jack up the axles, with a bottle jack right next to the hub, one side at a time. It won't bend. And, as soon as the wheel is off I let the drum down on a pile of 6x6's to take the strain off. I much prefer this to jacking the whole half a 18000# pounds up in on spot on the frame. (Don't have levelers).

oscar

OK, as I posted elsewhere I just picked up my G614's at the Fedex freight terminal. For the heck of it put a G614 on the scale..... by itself it weighs EXACTLY the same as a Blowmax on the wheel.....hmmmmm

justafordguy

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your concern. Actually with three axles I have no problem pulling the wheels on one axle with the other two chocked with LARGE rubber chocks, provided of course that I am on level, hard ground. (My paved driveway). It won't go anywhere. I need the truck to haul the tires back and forth to my guy. And yes I do jack up the axles, with a bottle jack right next to the hub, one side at a time. It won't bend. And, as soon as the wheel is off I let the drum down on a pile of 6x6's to take the strain off. I much prefer this to jacking the whole half a 18000# pounds up in on spot on the frame. (Don't have levelers).

I agree 100%, much safer than jacking up the whole side by the frame and won't hurt a thing.;)

danemayer

OK, as I posted elsewhere I just picked up my G614's at the Fedex freight terminal. For the heck of it put a G614 on the scale..... by itself it weighs EXACTLY the same as a Blowmax on the wheel.....hmmmmm

Goodyear G614s have steel running from bead-to-bead.

oscar

That's good to know..... And here they be.....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-11 at 7.09.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-11 at 7.09.53 PM.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 33

oscar

Took a few hours, but got them all mounted. Took off two at a time, ran them to my guy and so forth. Some grease for the hubs while I was in there. These puppies look and feel GOOD. This is a serious tire. No bubbles, blisters or deformities. There is no comparison to the Blowmax. And, more clearance between wheels. Reprogrammed the TPMS for the new higher pressure. Repaired the damage to the skirting from the Blowout (fortunately limited compared to some of what I've seen on here) and we are good to go. 700 mile road trip this weekend. Feel much better now.